Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've just won a competition to be in TONTO BOOKS' next anthology!!!

edited October 2009 in - Writing Tales
Col has really tried hard this year (some of you may've noticed) and this is my pinnacle in writing to date.
My motto: 'tenacity is key' is the signature to my emails, and it has just been justified!
I mentioned on a new year resolution type thread (I'll try n find it) that 2009 was gonna be a great year.

Well...if anyone's interested the full story and anthology results are here...

http://colburysnewcrimefiction.blogspot.com/2009/10/ive-won-coveted-place-in-anthology-even.html

Comments

• Well done mate!
  • Cheers, Red.
    Am buzzing (must be the whisky!)
    ;)
  • edited October 2009
    Well done, Col!

I think I remember saying that you would be published!
  • Nice one mate. Congrats and treat yourself to another tipple, you deserve it.
  • edited October 2009
    Ooo, it's nippy out there...just been on the rooftops...shouting!
    (must be the whisky).
    Cheers, Bill & Toe.
    Ps. Don't think the neighbours were impressed.
    ;)
  • Hehehe, I think you have every right to be screaming from the rooftops. I would!

Well done Col, well deserved I'm sure.
  • Thanks, Probe-meister-general (whisky).
    There were hundreds of entries n a novelist was the judge, so am well n truly chuffed.
    ;)
    Ps. Better stop commenting as the whisky's kickin' in now!
  • edited October 2009
    Bill,
    Just noticed you've edited your comment.
    Yeah, you did say that - another good bud spurring me on.
    Perspective-wise, it's not like I've 'arrived', but it's a decent milestone n so good to share it with genuine friends who understand. (I'll try not to mention whisky - DOH - I just did.)
    Cheers.
  • I felt rather deflated on my first printed publication. I guess it was due to thinking I would be an overnight Stephen King when my book was laying on my desk calling to my laziness to be written and all I had was a published very short story.

You have put things in perspective. It’s all good and maybe we should all be proud with all we publish.

Thanks Col.
  • edited October 2009
    Agreed, Toe.

It's only right the perspective aspect is mentioned. And you're also right to mention 'laziness', as, after returning from the day job, it's much easier to watch a bit of telly and chill.

However, if 'you' can possibly find the inner strength and confidence to 'crack on' then I firmly believe it's possible. Something separates the Stephen Kings of this world from the wannabes. It's up to us to look back in five, ten years and at least think that we gave it a go...and who knows?

Hope that makes sense. If you hadn't gathered, I've had a tipple!
    ;)
    In addition - maybe we're being a bit harsh. Is it really lazy to be knackered after work?
  • It does Col. It means work your arse off if you want it. If you don't then turn on, tune in and drop out.
  • Yep.
    Incidentally, mine was a 4,000 word story and I (strategically) based it on characters, as an intro', from the crime novel I'm finalising. I use the last word very loosely, BTW!
  • Nice one Col, you'll be hung-over to death no doubt when reading this lol
  • Congratulations Col! :)
  • Congratulations and I'd celebrate for the rest of the weekend if I were you - well deserved success.
  • KJKJ
    edited October 2009
    Excellent news Col B. Things are going up, up, up!
  • Well done, Col B.
  • Congrats Col B.
  • Great news - congratulations
  • Congratulations! I will have a read of it later :D
  • That's brilliant, congratulations. :)
    Three cheers for Col.
  • well done Col!
  • Great news!
  • The Colonal goes marching on!
  • Well done, Sir.
  • Did you salute?
  • Congrats ColB :) and well done.
  • Attennn...tion, Mr Stanley!
    ;)
    Thanks for all the thanks n good wishes.
    I'm not too hungover (Lee - was up early taking me lad to footy!), but perpective - as mentioned above in my chat with Tony - is at the forefront of my mind.
    But at least I'm on the first rung of an extreeemely long ladder!
  • Congrats Col, that's great news.
  • Brilliant Col. really pleased for you. Onwards and Upwards. CWA dagger award next?
  • That's fantastic news, Col. Congratulations. You've really been in there trying and working hard so you deserve it.
  • Cheers, Ladies.
    Lol - got no-where with that last year, but hmm...
    IG, thanks for the kind words.
  • [quote=Col B]Lol - got no-where with that last year, but hmm...[/quote]

But that was LAST year - you've improved since then and you know you have!
  • sorry can't view your blog
    computer says no

but congratulations, all the same.
  • Lol - I know what you mean, but I'll be trying for an agent n publisher before then so the timing's out this year. Ta for the compliment though.

Dora - I thinks others have been fine, but try these links instead.

http://colburysnewcrimefiction.blogspot.com/

http://www.tontobooks.co.uk/blog/even-more-tonto-short-stories-the-results/
  • Great News!
  • It is another published piece to add to your building CV. :)
  • Brilliant! Well done Col!
  • Congratulations Col B! Well done.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done Col! Off to read it now... :-)
  • How have I missed this amazing news??

Well done Col. You must be so chuffed. Your talent, tenacity and new year's resolution are really paying off.

Can't wait to read the anthology.

Big, big congratulations. :)
  • Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

It's due out end of November I think. I'l clarify this as soon as I know for sure - certainly before Chrimbo anyway.

My story's called, 'MOPPING UP' and it's not about a cleaner! It's in the gritty Northern crime mold I've developed this year, so don't buy it for your Granny for Chrimbo!
    ;)
  • Great news, Col. Well done!
  • Well done Col, many congrats to you - as they say, onward and upward or is it the other way round but any way, great news.
  • That's fantastic news, Col. Congratulations!
  • Again, many thanks to all. I'm a happy chappy!
    :)
  • Hurray for Col!
  • Well done. Great news.