Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I posted off the Times Comp entry today – wh-hoo!

edited November 2009 in - Writing Tales
I see this as a success whether or not I actually get anywhere in the comp. Simply writing a new story and submitting it is a success in my mind.

I’m feeling really good about this because I’ve got so much else on at the mo but it always seems to be that when I’m under a lot of pressure with other work, I get the most motivation to write. So this is the second comp entry in two months (last month the Legend one). The deadline for the Times Comp is 30th Nov but it was ready and I wanted to get it posted and out of the way otherwise I’d just fiddle with it continually and over-edit.

It was quite a faff with having to do a list of recently published work with dates and ISBNs. Luckily I do have that on my CV but had to reformat it. Plus the entry form and seven copies of the story made for a huge parcel that I lugged to the post office. Longlist is announced in Feb. Anyone else entering? Would be good to see a Talkbacker on the list.

Comments

• Is that the Novel competition?

I was going to enter but I am not ready to submit yet.

Good luck to your entry! xxx
  • no, it's the short story one, sorry I forgot they had a novel comp open as well! Thanks for the good luck.
  • Good luck, Josie. You're up against some big guns!
  • Good for you JH - and you might even win. That would be the icing on the cake.
  • Good luck Josie.
  • edited November 2009
    Well done, Josie - yes, finishing and submitting is an achievement, especially when you have so much else to do. Wishing you the very best of luck!

I'm going for it too but I'm not as organised as you. Still working on my draft... but hope to have it ready in the next few days.

Seven copies is ridiculous, isn't it? You'd think they might have discovered email by now...
  • Email - what is that? All the best ladies with this comp.
  • Rosalie, it is a bit much but I suppose to look on the bright side it means that seven people will be reading each entry. It would definitely cut their costs not to have to print or copy it seven times themselves, and there's no entry fee unlike a lot of comps so I see it as cheap in comparison.
  • Good luck! And I think you're right - when you've got lots on and all guns blazing it sometimes gives you an extra boost!
  • Good luck for the Short Story comp :D

Will you be entering the Novel one?
  • Good luck, Josie.

I guess they ask for lots of posted copies to reduce the number of entries and improve quality(The harder work it is to enter, the less likely people are to be bothered if they don't think they're work is good enough) hope other comps don't start asking for 7 copies, or soon it'll be trees no one has heard of, rather than new fangled e-mails.
  • Good Luck Josie and Rosalie
  • Yeah, good luck to both of you :)
  • Well done Gina.

Did anybody enter the Spectator's comp? The deadline was back on June 25th. Nothing since. I'm harrying them, with a few other disgruntled entrants, on their forum. All we ever get is apromise that it'll be sorted by such and such a date. It never is. First short story entry and quite possibly the last (mostly because I haven't the time for it...)
  • Good luck
  • Is it ready to go off yet Rosalie?
  • Yep - all ready to post first class tomorrow morning :)
  • Goodluck Josie!
  • Good luck Rosalie.
    Make sure you have the correct postage stamp size on it...
    (My oldest son sent some job applications off a month ago. I said make sure you use the large size stamp- meaning the large letter value- poor boy used a normal first class stamp that was one of these decorative picture types and bigger than the standard one.
    He took me literally of course...)
  • Couldn't help smiling at that, Carol - though it probably didn't help your son's job selection chances :( That 'large' thing on stamps is confusing. Best of luck to your son in his applications - not easy at the moment.
  • Well they both came back returned by the post office the other day.
    But in the meantime he has got a part-time job which he is enjoying...
  • I weighed mine to be sure because it was quite a package - double spaced type and seven copies of a 7000 word story!

Good luck Rosalie!
  • Me too!

And good luck to you, Josie. (Wouldn't it be nice if we both got shortlisted - or even longlisted? I daren't hope for anything better - not for myself, anyway...)
  • would be good to see some talkbackers represented in one of those lists! I would consider that a success for us as a group even if I weren't on the list.
  • Well we can hope either or both of you will be successful. :)
  • Good luck Rosalie and Josie! :) :)
  • Good luck Rosalie and Josie :)
  • Glad your son is enjoying his job, Carol.
  • Good luck Rosalie