Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

poetic republic competition comes round again

2»

Comments

• Me too!

I had another look at the poems I entered last year and, by the dates on the comments, I could tell that they had both reached the second round, which was encouraging.

None of the ones I've read so far in this year's, deserve to win IMO, but there are often a few gems shine out in the next round, which is as it should be.
  • We may even have judged each other's without knowing it. I'd better not tell you the name of my poem in case you hated it!
  • ha ha - that would be funny. I've read some of your work (all of you - I think) and I really don't think you would own up to any of the ones I had to judge. I don't think they were written by poets. For the most part I think they were written by ordinary people getting rid of some emotional angst :)
  • and paying £6 for the privilege!
  • cheaper than a therapist :)
  • Just done my next round of judging - round 2. I'm a bit confused how the judging works. I just had a poem that I had before and that I hadn't placed in my top 4 last time.
  • edited May 2011
    Presumably other people liked it more than you did, kateyanne, so it got enough votes to go through without yours.
    It will be just random that you got it in this round too.

I've had a quick look at my next twelve and, as you would expect, the standard is overall much higher, though none that I would say I loved. Some good ones though. I'll read properly later.
  • Done mine - got the one I put 4th (I haven't put it anywhere this time). Thankfully this round not so depressing and a couple that were really rather good.
  • I printed off my 12 last night so I could read them and have a proper think before voting. When I went back in today I have a totally different list of 12. All that thinking and considering wasted. I have emailed to complain as the site definitely says you will get the same 12 if you sign out and go back in later. At the moment I can't face starting all over again with another 12.
  • I had that problem too ( see above) and complained and was told it should not have happened.
  • Ha - it happened to me too!
  • And me!
  • Now that is interesting as I emailed to complain and they said it had not happened to anyone else, that they knew of anyway. They offered to investigate - said it was probably the configuration of my computer causing it - but in the end I just decided to read and judge the new set and forget about the first lot I had.
  • I didn't complain as I had only skimmed the first lot so it didn't make much difference to me.
  • Likewise. I went in to judge a second batch and thought I'd come back to them. WHen they were different I just didn't bother.
  • I have now told them it has happened to at least three or four of us, so they are looking at why. They think it may hev been a surge of people all logging on as soon as the Round Two is open message went out at around 4pm, but I know I didn't log on until much later that evening.
  • Final twelve are up for judging now - haven't had an email yet, but just logged on to check.

Mine's not there (sniff!). Anyone else make it?

Also, none of them are ones I've seen in previous rounds.
  • Me neither and none I've seen before either.
  • edited June 2011
    Sorry to hear that, kateyanne.
  • OOh, I haven't checked yet. I was waiting for the email.
  • edited June 2011
    I've done my judging. There is one that I particularly liked so voted that first.
  • My poems aren't in the top 12 either! I actually liked 5 of the 12 and struggled to decide which one of those not to vote for and which order to place my four in. Re-read them this morning and I have now voted.
  • That's a shame, Viv.
  • Mine isn't there either - I thought most of them were rather depressing! I'd seen one before - actually my first choice.
  • Well, the results are up and - guess what - the same woman won again!! That's three years in a row.
    She now says she's going to retire from entering this particular comp. Personally, I didn't put her poem in my top four, but the one I voted first came second overall.

If you want an idea of how you did, go to 'list my poems' and if there are any comments you can get an idea from the dates how far they got - and of course the comments may be useful. Only one of mine got any comments this time and that was in the first round (a nice comment, though) so I don't think they did as well as last year's. Never mind, onwards and upwards.
  • Wow that's amazing lucky her i really liked her poem.
    I had two comments on one poem but back in May so it didn't get far.
  • How did she manage to win three times? Good luck to her - she's certainly cracked what works.
    The first and second winning poems were my top choices - but the other way round!
    Interesting to read all the comments the winners got.
    One of my entries attracted two nice comments (early on) but the other got none at all. Not popular choices obviously!
  • edited January 2012
    Entries now open for this year anyone going to enter? The fee is £7 this year seems a bit high to me.
    This year they are making an ebook of best entries.
  • I might - I like the concept, but it is a bit expensive.
  • not sure this year. I'll see how money is.
  • Don't like the idea of so many runners up going into an anthology with no payment, and also only one single poem and one 'pair' of poems prizes this year, so I probably won't bother.
  • The closing date for this comp is the 30th April. I am going to have a go this year. Anyone else?
  • Good luck, Nefertari.