Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Shortlisted in Cally Taylor 'Heaven' competition

edited April 2010 in - Writing Tales
Delighted to discover one of my short stories was shortlisted in this competition. Makes up for the 2 returns I've had this week from elsewhere! Apparently the top 20 (374 entries) were been passed on to DarleyAnderson agency and to Orion Books for them to judge. (Wearing silly grin. Such a little thing, such pleasure!)

Comments

• Well done, ceka. I saw your name there, but was waiting for you to see it yourself so as not to spoil the fun!

The three top prizes include a 1-to-1 with a Darley Anderson agent, so that's why they got to decide the final winners from the shortlist.
  • Well done!
  • Oh ceka well done. That sounds brilliant!
  • Yay The Cekstress!! congrats!
  • Oh my god that's brilliant! Well done owlie!
  • wonderful news! Congratulations!
  • Congratulations, Ceka, and all the best for the final judging!
  • Woooh! How very Ceka-delic.

I hope you enjoy yer lunch with Darley.
    :)
  • fantastic ceka, well done
  • Congratulations, Ceka. Hope this spurs you on to find a new market for the returns earlier in the week.
  • Congratualtions, Ceka! It's so encouraging to get an acceptance after a couple of rejections - really shows it's worth persevering.
  • That's brilliant news Ceka, well done.
  • Fantastic and I'm sure well deserved. Good luck with the next round, I hope you get to meet Darley.
  • Oooh! Lucky you. I remember seeing this comp but never got round to entering. Hope you make the final 3.
  • Well done - brilliant news!
  • Congratulations, Ceka! I hope you get to be taken on by Darley.
  • Congratulations Ceka! I did think about entering this competition but never got round to it.
  • Well done Ceka.

I had a rejection from DA. The rejection was so generic and formulaic and never referred to my submission. And they couldn't be bothered to get my name right on their letter, either.

Hope you have better luck...
  • Well done Ceka!
  • Thanks, everyone. It's over, winners and all are up there, I just got shortlisted - and I reckon that's the end of that.
    This story was written about 7 years ago and although it was also shortlisted in Writing Magazine's 'Love Story' competition about that time, it's never found a published home. earned its keep, I guess, but I wish it would publish, it's one of my personal favourites!
  • But getting shortlisted is still a great achievement Ceka.
  • Go on ceka, you can sell it. There must be a home for it if you look hard enough. I dare you!
  • Congratulations Ceka, really good news.
  • Just caught up with this Ceka - congratulations for getting on the shortlist. Good luck with getting it published.:-)
  • Just catching up too - well done Ceka :) All good for the CV - and don't give up on trying to publish it!
  • Well done!
  • Congratulations Ceka!
  • Well done Ceka!
  • That's amazing, Ceka. Well done!
  • Well done, Ceka - hope you find a home for the story.
  • It'll find a home... it's clearly good enough, just waiting for the right place. Well done on being short-listed!
  • Congratulations Ceka. My contribution must be burning in hell. I have won second place in the Age Concern poetry comp though.
  • Congratulations, Patricia!
  • Well done anyway Ceka. Being shortlisted is still really exciting!
  • [quote=Red]I had a rejection from DA. The rejection was so generic and formulaic and never referred to my submission. And they couldn't be bothered to get my name right on their letter, either.

Hope you have better luck...[/quote]

I had one of the best rejections from them. Along the lines of: this could be a bestseller.

Didn't agree with the reason for rejection: having a male lead. I've never judged a book on the gender of fiction before. Go figure!
  • I had a lovely rejection from them too! Was thinking of quoting from it in future submissions :) They said it was 'extremely well written' and a number of them there 'loved the concept'. Reason for rejection? They said it was 'a little too literary for them' :( In other words, they think it won't sell enough!

I hope you're planning to bombard them with your work now Ceka! They look like a really good agency, have you approached them before?
  • In hindsight I've seen the authors they represent in the crime genre have female leads. I've never chosen books that way, though thinking about it I do tend to read male leads.
  • Well done, Ceka! Fingers crossed for third time lucky - a short listing that goes on to win.
  • well done Patricia!
  • Well done, Ceka.
  • Only just spotted this - congratulations for making the shortlist.