Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A small success

edited April 2010 in - Writing Tales
I have just heard that I've won First Prize in this year's Essex Age Concern Essay Competition, with my 1500 word essay Difficult Decisions, with Prize giving event on 14 May, when I will be asked to read the essay to the assembled audience. Quite pleasing, as last year I won Second Prize in the same competition.

Comments

• Well done, Verica! :)
  • Great! Is there a prize?
  • Well done, Verica.
  • Wow! That's brilliant Verica.
  • Congrats, that's great!!
  • Congratulations!
  • Wonderful Verica, well done.
  • great news!
  • That's really great news well done Verica
  • Well done!
  • Good on yer, Verica!
  • Well done!
  • Well done
  • Congratulations, Verica.
  • Well done Verica.
  • Very well done, Verica (and I now know how to pronounce your name!)
  • Congratulations, Verica.
  • Congratulations Verica! :-)
  • Second one year, first the next, what next?
    Congrats!
    ;)
  • Congratulations Verica!
  • Congratulations, Verica :)
  • Congratulations - that' great news
  • well done:)
  • edited April 2010
    Well done, Verica (How DO you pronounce your name, by the way ? :) I assumed it was like Veronica without the "on" )
  • edited April 2010
    I think Verica said on my 'do you like your name' thread you say it Veritsa, yes, Verica?

's OK, found it

I don't mind my name if it's pronounced properly - Veritsa - with the accent on the 'e', but usually people pronounce it as 'Vereeka', which I hate.
  • Thank you very much everybody! Isn't this a wonderful community?!

I don't know, Viv, what is the prize, but I suspect it's probably in the region of £30 or a little more, as last year's second prize was £25, which I shared with our daughter and my husband, as we were just going to see Tanja on the way from the presentation. I don't think I ought to enter next year, but it depends on the subject, as the last two have been just up my street. Maybe I will enter the poetry section. They had a very large entry last year and the first prize essays were excellent.

You're right, Dorothy. Better than our doctors' receptionist, who has just called me Vereeka twice on the 'phone, despite my announcing who I was when I rang. I've become so used to it, that it has almost stopped upsetting me! After all, a rose by any other name ...
  • Well done!
  • well donex
  • Well done, Verica - excellent news! :)
  • Well done. Give yourself a big slap on the back, a great boost to your confidence.
  • Congratulations! At this rate, they'll be asking you to be the judge next year. :)
  • Wow! Well done, Verica! It must be a fantastic feeling to win first prize :)
  • Thank you again!
  • Well done - what a great achievement.
  • Well done Verica. Nice to hear some good news.
  • Well done Verica. Next stop your own anthology or regualr column in a newspaper.