Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I know this is crazy and you are going to tell me so I am sure

edited May 2010 in - Writing Problems
At the present, amongst my writing projects, I am trying to write a script for Script East about an atrocity that occurred in the second world war called Death of a Village based on the book by Phillip Beck, 'Oradour' The Death of a Village. Very few know about it. I am getting a few ideas and his daughter advised me to write it from one of the character viewpoints as a general feature film had been made some years back. She suggested I wrote it from the viewpoint of Madam Rouffanche or one of the younger ones who had been defecated upon if you will forgive the term. However it was much worse than that yet few people knew what happened and based on something my mother told me about one of the relatives of her ex boyfriend. My problem is that the woman concerned died in the 1988 I think in an old people's home. How far should I use my imagination as I do not know if she had any relatives who knew her and perhaps lived some distance away. It all took place on 10 June 1944. In the morning, there was nothing to even suggest that anything terrible could happen to that village would be raised to the ground by the afternoon but I feel it would make an interesting film and so does Screen East

Comments

• First I would check out the feature film issue. There may be a rights issue involved.
    There may not of course, but always worth checking.
    Are the other people involved in the story all dead now?
  • With regard to rights, the daughter of the author, Stephanie Beck said that although an earlier film had been made, she suggested I took it from one of the character's point of view. I do not know if any are still alive, I suppose I could get back to Stephanie. Although she has shown willing to help, she is a pg student so I have to take that into account, she is studying languages and could well be swotting up for exams. There is a photograph of them so I could note them down and put them under tasks in my Movie Outline software
  • I can understand why she suggested taking it from one of the other characters viewpoints, but you must check the rights issue Woll or you could find yourself with a large bill by infringing them even though you weren't aware you were.
    Ignorance is not a defence.
  • Remember that copyright exists for 75 years after someone's death. You will need to clear any new project with the publishers of that first book and the film company who were involved in the that feature film. Otherwise you may find yourself doing a lot of work and not being able to carry it through.
  • For those unaware of the Oradur massacre, the following is worth reading or, at the very least, skimming through.

http://www.oradour.info/ruined/chapter2.htm
  • There shouldn't be a rights issue on historical facts, but you need to be very sure your facts are facts and not inventions/amendments made by filmakers and/or authors. You can't rely on books and films for info, you'll have to properly research every detail - even if you then fictionalise some events.

It would seem likely that there might be some living relatives of some of the people involved (it's not just the person you choose as mc, or even just the victims who might have relatives still alive) . It's very likely that one or more of these people might be upset or offended, so again you need to research very thoroughly to ensure you don't falsely accuse or misrepresent anyone.
  • Thank you, I will contact Screeneast to see what can be done as they shown interest. See if they can help me with this problem although I may have to contact Stephanie as well. Allthough I have the book, the extra information is invaluable but I will get on to Screeneast nonetheless
  • Absolutely horrible. Those poor people and children.
  • Understandable and indeed ghastly yet the SS got away with it when one of the senior officers was killed - all went underground. It is one of those events that became obscured in the mists of time and overshadowed by the larger events of the war. However it seems that someone despite Screeneast giving me the green light, has beaten me to it unfortunately so I may have hold fire for a while.