Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Latest comments info

edited June 2010 in - Website Problems
Hi Webbo. The red numbers, which tell you how many comments have been added to threads since last reading, don't disappear now so I can't tell which threads I have read.

Comments

• Kateyanne, on my screen unread threads are yellow or lemon if you like and go white when I look at them. I never noticed the numbers changing! I go by the colour.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks Dorothy.
    Kateyanne, they're still working for me - although I usually go by the thread colour change that Dorothy's pointed out - so perhaps it's a local problem at your end. Have you tried quitting and relaunching your browser (the internet equivalent of turn it off and on again!)

EDIT: In fact, have you tried refreshing the page of threads? That should probably fix them I think. Nothing I've been fiddling with should have changed how that all works!
  • Yes I do refresh the threads page, it used to clear the red numbers but not now.

I'll try relaunching the browser.
  • edited June 2010
    well I did that but still have the red numbers so for example there is a red number 5 by this thread says' new 5' even though I've read all comments.
    Some of the other threads have minus numbers in grey.
  • Do you press the back button or back to discussions?
  • Hi PJK I've pressed everything!
  • What about marking the discussions all read? Have you pressed that at all?
  • Yes I did that too
  • How many times? Because if that don't work, I don't know what's the matter with it.
  • I'll try it again
  • Ok they are all on 0 now.
  • Well see how it goes. If it still plays up, press it again and it might reset it, I don't know for sure.
  • But I just read a thread and it still says' new 2' even though I have read them.
    I'll just have to put up with it i guess.
  • And this says new 3 even though I have read them.
  • Are you using your browsers 'back' button to go back to the list of discussions? That does not update the red numbers. Only the 'Back to Discussions' button at the bottom of the page does that.
  • richt I'm clicking on the discussions at the top and sometimes coming in completely anew.
  • Yes, that should work. I wonder why it works for most of us, but not for you! Can't think of anything else, I'm afraid.
  • I think I am like kateyanne. Alongside every item on 'Your discussions' is a number and the word 'new' both in red. The number says how entries there are on the discussion. It only changes if someone adds to it. The word 'new' never goes away and red is always red. I have tried all you suggested and no change. Maybe I am stuck with it as well.
    How odd.
  • I have same issue as kateyanne - always have had no matter what I do. The numbers only go to zero when I 'Mark all as read'. And some of the numbers are negative!
  • Mine never used to work, and what's more neither did my discussions going yellow.

But eventually i found that there is a tab under your account page with 'forum preferences' on it and somewhere in there I adjusted something and then it all worked for me. And I have lived much more happily ever after, everything is so much easier once things work.
  • Yes there is or was an option so you would be able to click on the thread and it would go to the last comment you read. I've never had this problem described, though I have the 'New' in black and the number is in red and the new/number is underlined in red.
  • I think it might be the "Reset discussion status", from "Forum preferences" in the "Account" page in the links at the top centre, underneath the banner ad.
    I've been wrong before though! Please let me know if it works.
  • No, Webbo, that sets them all back to yellow/unread. At least, it did for me!
  • Must be something about your computer system that's making a difference...
  • Oh how annoying Heather, sorry. On mine it didn't have that effect, but it's hard to know how the forum behaves for non-administrator accounts on other machines, etc. I hope it's not too inconvenient for you.
  • Not really. You get used to it!
  • Actually although it resets them you can do it twice and it sets them back and, in my case a while ago, clears the problem that Kateyanne is having. Good luck. I know how infuriating it can be. What browser are you using Kateyanne - they seem to react differently with different ones. I now (Google Chrome) have to refresh to get them to change - whereas with IE it did it automatically even if I had used the back button.
  • Webbo has fixed my problem now. Thanks Webbo.
  • Three cheers for Webbo...
  • So just to recap for anyone else, this seems to fix the problem: try selecting the "Reset discussion status" (from the "Account" link above, then "Forum preferences", then it appears in the left hand margin).