Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ms Lexia poetry competition

edited July 2010 in - Writing Tales
Have just received an email reminding me about the Ms Lexia magazine poetry competition deadline.(not sure why - I stopped subscribing to them about 5 years ago)
Anyway - is there something wrong with my interpretation of the word "poetry" ?

I know we have discussed what makes poetry many times on here, but if you have a moment please read last years winner from this competition

http://www.mslexia.co.uk/whatson/msbusiness/pcomp_past.php#pcomp2009

I am not denegrating the poet at all - who am I to dare to do that - but is this poetry then ?
Some good phrases and terminology, good imageing ... but there I am lost.
What does anyone think ?

Comments

• They must have been having an off day in 2009...
  • that's precisely why I don't like MsLexia
  • I like the writing, but struggle to see it as a poem.

I much prefer the previous year's winner.
  • It feels more like poetic prose than actual poetry. But then I know nothing about rules.
  • Perhaps they only had one entrant last year.
    I think it's dreadful!

For some odd reason I received an email from Mslexia about the poetry comp too - maybe the'yre really low on entrants... I've never been a subscriber.
  • [quote=KJ]maybe the'yre really low on entrants[/quote]

If last year's was the best then I can see why...
  • I've entered a few comps with them, and I'm shamed. I must do better.
  • edited July 2010
    Perhaps the supply of women who choose to define themselves by their antipathy to men is dwindling, shrinking the pool of talent as they decline into a rump of aging hippies and fading dungarees. Imagine a collective of male writers. Ridiculous, isn't it?!
  • That's me out the running then. Best get rid of my dungarees.
  • I've also received several notifications, although my subscription lapsed a long time ago, and wonder if they're getting desperate.
  • I CAN imagine a collective of male writers - with you paulh as the group leader ;)

Now then... names for a group of male writers ? Hewrites ? (see link below)

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=175987360307&topic=11656

Seriously, I think a group of female writers or male writers is as divisive as "The Black Police Society" or whatever it's called. It's the same reason I refuse to fill in those "ethnic" background pages on council forms.
    When at university I objected to studying "Women's Literature" (which both sexes studied) when there was no option for "Men's Literature". Yes, we need sometimes to group people, but not in writing in 2010 surely.
    (perhaps Jay or others will have comments to make on this ? )
  • Godalmighty if that was the winner, the others must have been truly truly dreadful.
  • Hmm each to their own. I entered one of their competitions, I poured over a 150 word flash for weeks, tweaking and getting it right, when in fact I should have knocked some crap out in my morning coffee break and strewn it with bad syntax and poor grammar.
  • I'm with Ceka on this one.