Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Where to start?

edited July 2010 in - Writing Problems
Where do I start with my article? I need to do some research for obvious reasons, but have no idea where to begin! Have just bought 'Research for Writers' by Ann Hoffman off Amazon but it will be a week or so before it arrives. So any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• What is the article about?
  • Um, think of all the key points you want to get across and jot them down?
  • You need a striking short opening to grab the attention of the reader.
  • Yeah like

"Oi, you, don't read that, read THIS"
  • How women are heroes in time of war stan. Aha, the first thing I need to do is look at all the wars over the past 100 years. I want to look at the support for women, and the support women gave during times of war, up to the present one in Afghanistan. Other than that I am not 100% sure what it is I want to say. I am thinking focussing more on the present time as it is for a modern magazine....
  • You know, all I need most the time is to come on here and brainstorm with you guys :)
  • Try to put into a few words your aim in this article - this helps to focus the mind. Women are now there in the frontline in war rather than staying at home to keep the homefires burning as in WW2.
  • edited July 2010
    [quote=febes] I want to look at the support for women[/quote]

in what way febes, as in women who's men are at war? perhaps you could provide suggestions as to how it could be improved?
  • [quote=febes]You know, all I need most the time is to come on here and brainstorm with you guys [/quote]

there's a blizzard going inside my head, you woudn't want to be there ;)
  • Thanks Stan.

Yes dora......or maybe not........perhaps I could? Uh, I dunno :(
  • yes you can.

first of all define what this support is that you want to talk about, and take it from there

Lurve dora xx
  • Okay, so you have a theme for your article, but you don't know how to focus it?
    I would start by doing some research as this will give you clues and ideas on finding that crucial focus.
    I do this all the time - even though you might think: well she writes about travel, so the focus is obvious - not so! I have to find a specific focus for each article and it often comes after I've done the research.
    For example - I had a commission to write a dive article about a popular dive destination in Malaysia.
    Each dive article I write has to have a focus; I can't just say how pretty the fish were.
    On this occasion while doing my research I discovered that Jacques Cousteau had showcased the area in a film called 'The Ghost of the Sea Turtles’.
    Now, on my visit I had explored a cave area and dive site locally called ‘The Turtle Tomb’ and I had photos of the site and plenty of photos of turtles.
    And, voila! I now had my focus and the article virtually wrote itself.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks claudia :)

I was thinking 'research first' but didn't know where to start with that either! Well, I have just watched Jeremy Kyle for a few minutes and had an idea. As the magazine I am writing for is focussed a lot on the current war, I think I am going to look into that first. I was going to start way back when, but as I do want to focus it more on the current day to suit the market, I will start there.

You guys are absolutely brilliant :) When I am a super success, you will all get a mention in my acknowledgements :D
  • A short interview or quote from a current forces wife would be a good starting point - it makes the piece more real and relevant to what's haopening today, and her input, knowledge, ideas and problems will help steer you towards what needs to be said.
  • I was thinking that Viv, but I don't know how to approach that subject. I know of a place I can go to and ask if anyone would be interested though.......should it be an interview? If so, I should read the handbook on interviews first!