Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Chapter length

pbwpbw
edited July 2010 in - Writing Problems
Can anyone offer some advice please? I am seventy thousand words into my first fiction novel. I don't know the rules for constructing chapters. Do they have to all be the same length? (I hope not). Is there a suggested length - what is considered too long or too short? Personally I like to vary the chapter length because I end my chapters at a logical place in the story. Would be nice to have some advice from a more experienced writer.

Comments

• Chapters can be whatever length is required to tell the story properly and in the manner that you desire. There are no hard and fast rules for chapter length, and even if there were strict rules there would still be groundbreaking novelists breaking them. There should be logical places for chapters to begin and end, if you read through your work this should be obvious. I vary chapter length depending on content and this seems to be the case in 99% of the books I read as well. Go with whatever feels right to you, as you said there is always a logical place to end chapters.

Oh and congratulations on getting so far into your first novel :) Keep up the good work!
  • congratulations on getting that far into the book! You can divide it up any way it feels right. One of my authors sends me a list with his books - characters, names and ages and then how the chapters are divided, they invariably come out at around 5000 words each. (he has 100 books in our catalogue.)
  • I don't think it is best simply to write the book and then divide it up into chapters afterwards (and I'm sure this is not what you are doing). A chapter is like an extended paragraph and the same rules apply - I have told this part of the story, I have come to a natural break and so I shall pause then continue. The final chapter of Angelas Ashes consists of a single three-letter word.

As they say, it's not how long it is but what you do with it that counts.

Well done on reaching 70k
  • 70,000 words - wow!
  • Well done on getting so far.
    But as said you will find the right place to finish the chapter where you think is right- whatever the lengths.
  • It's all been said already but I just wanted to add my agreement with the above. Make your chapters as long or short as you like, and they don't have to be the same length throughout the book. A lot of commercial fiction has some very short chapters at very tense or dramatic moments. And I've heard it said that publishers prefer short chapters because it encourages readers to keep reading.
  • I'd use chapter breaks where there is a big change. You've got the double space for the scene break, and then a big shift, decent size, not a mote, then new chapter. I'm at just over 95k with my novel and the chapter placings keep changing as I change how I want it structured. I think you should always know when it's right to plant a new chapter. It's like a breather for the reader so they know there's a change coming, kinda like the biggest f'ing comma you've ever seen.
  • [quote=LeeH]kinda like the biggest f'ing comma you've ever seen [/quote]

That's how I'm describing chapters from now on :D
  • Hi paperbackwriter, love the name, agree with above.

Hello C-O-S! You've not been in for a while...
  • I agree with BR that the practised writer, which you must be, PBW, at 70k, will sense when to close that wave and open another. And each chapter will embody a block or a theme, which will enable you to put a title to it: the significant step in the story which it embodied. Giving each chapter a one word title is good for seeing how rounded a chapter is.

The chapters in Twilight (which I'm reading) go: 22 pages, 20, 13, 15, 22, 17, 20, etc. I wouldn't call that consistent, but on the other hand it's not arty-farty, like jumping from 20s to a sudden chapter of 3 pages for some supposed effect. An editor commented on my even chapters and said this was a good thing as it wasn't fair on the reader to mess them about with what length of chapter to expect.

Another thing which Noah Lukeman points out (in "The First Five Pages") is the value of working a hook into the end of each chapter to keep your reader 'hooked'. Here's the gist of what he said:

4. A hook is almost as important at the end of a chapter – called a cliff-hanger. Equally important, it is often neglected. The task is to produce a piece of writing (a paragraph?) so strong that the reader will want to carry on and see what follows; will want to come back to it and re-involve himself in the world of the story. But ideally it will propel the reader straight into the next chapter.
    5. It is not just a hook in the last line that would work as a cliff-hanging incentive to read on.
    N.B. >>> Everything in writing is cumulative, and even if there’s a strong last line or paragraph, if what has gone before is bland, it will not have the necessary appeal to keep the reader reading. There is a need for cumulative events to make the actual ending into a ‘final straw’ which means you must keep going.
    6. In this way, the ending hook will not seem dislocated and ‘tacked on’ as though it isn’t part of what has just gone before.

Hope that helps.
  • [quote=Liz!]paperbackwriter[/quote] as in 'I wanna be a paperback writer' (The Beatles) - one of my fave songs of theirs
  • [quote=Dwight]practised writer[/quote] Practised, yes I think so, but not published apart from some magazine articles years ago. Never done fiction for anyone else's eyes except my own. I've dived straight in at the deep end. I end a chapter when it seems natural to do so and always with the cliff hanger. Hopefully - intentionally - there are several 'OMG' moments in my story. One chapter is only half a page because that witness dies so she can't say anymore (sorry to be so obvious here).

Your advice is very helpful - invaluable really. This is the most helpful forum or published advice I have found to date so I shall post up more of my queries.

Now I'm very interested also in what LeeH says about the double space for the scene change. I didn't know about that device expressed technically like that. I am not really confident about the scene change and have been pondering over whether a break should be a scene end or a chapter end. With all your collective advice I can now review all my chapter ends and see if some of them are better incorporated in a previous chapter as a scene change.
  • TBers welcome queries, PBW, do post them and get writing discussions going. At times we get very short on them ... which means we fritter away our time on the fun or chatty threads instead. It's easy to waste time on TB ...
  • Thanks! New query posted...First Draft. Don't worry I've got plenty more. Mind you, this is August and anyone with any sense is on holiday.
  • holidays? what be they, then?