Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

An interview with an up 'n' coming crime writer you may know...!

edited October 2010 in - Writing Tales
Yep, it's little old me. ;) Over at prolific short story writer, Paul Brazill's blog, as part of his HIT THE NORTH series, whereby he 'chats' with writers from the north of England.

If you fancy a nosey go here...

http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2010/10/hit-north-col-bury-interview.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PaulDBrazill+%28Paul+D.+Brazill%29

Comments

• Great read but who's this Col Bury they speak of and more to the point this made up team called Man City Athletic Rangers or whatever they may be called?

Seriously though great read. I'm intrigued by the Manchester crime angle though. Being a Scouser I've often shuddered at the portrayal of cheap thieves and low life criminals with fake accents on telly. Yet when I see a proper crime film set in Liverpool I recognise it and it's usually done very well. The contrary seems to be the case with Manchester. They want to play down the big crime and make fun of it in comedy.

Now if legend is to be believed Scousers are the best for having a laugh and Manchester is miserable. But as we all know it's not a Liverpool comedy it's a North West one as the good people up the road are as funny and some times funnier. So I'm glad to see this serious angle taken because it will have a huge amount of credibility and probably be the beginning of a raw urban Manchester crime phenomenon rather than some funny drug dealers or sloppy gun salesmen.

Because you are the area you live in I assume you have that knowledge that'll bring credibility and truth to the work. Better than bad northern accents and a thin joke about weed running through the whole piece. Your twist on the genre seems to be a brilliant one too. I really hope this hits and hits big.
  • Never knew you were a scouser, I'll try not to let that wreck our friendship.
  • good one, Col!
  • Tony,

It's authentic all right. THAT, I can almost guarantee. Strong word I know, but I certainly wrote about what I know. As for the humour aspect. I find it comical that 'Mancs' are poo-pooed compared to 'that Scouse sense of humour'. Generally speaking, I think ours is dryer and more sarcastic, whereas yours is perhaps more witty...? I've worked alongside many Scousers, and got on really well... until footy was brought up! ;)

Having said all that, the funniset person in my novel is an un-PC, DC Eric Bardsley who is a Liverpool fan!

Regards to all,
    Col
  • Great interview Col, and your book sounds great- though not my cup of tea (scaredy cat that I am) but it is great you already have ideas for further books, hopefully featuring Striker.
  • Is there no stopping the man? He's a publicity slut through and through. Seriously, great read.
  • I've read it, it is top-notch, well worth the purchase
  • [quote=Col B]the funniset person in my novel is an un-PC, DC Eric Bardsley who is a Liverpool fan![/quote]

Bloody hell Col he'd have to be. You need a great sense of humour to support Liverpool, I should know.

Can't wait to read it.
  • [quote=Col B]Yep, it's little old me[/quote]

Hey! Well done!
  • Tony,
    I won't mention good old Blackpool then... oops, I just did! :D

Susie,
    I've never been called a 'slut' before... but, oddly, I kinda like it. ;)
  • [quote=Col B]Tony,
    I won't mention good old Blackpool then... oops, I just did![/quote]

No worries Col only one Pool deserved to win today and they did.
  • Hello, yes I did fancy a nosey and now even I am tempted to read the book, especially after I'd read this:

[quote=Col B]It's authentic all right. THAT, I can almost guarantee. Strong word I know, but I certainly wrote about what I know. [/quote]

Be interesting to read about the Manchester that I always try to avoid when I visit. :)

Cheers,
    dora
  • Well done Col!
  • Big thanks to all who read the Q & A.
  • Enjoyed that Col.