Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help with a character's death

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
I've a character who dies from an overdose of drugs. The needle is near his body, the drugs are in his blood. He's famous (or was a few years before). Would his burial be held up for an autopsy or coroner's report? Is it feasible that his funeral could be held a week and half later? I've only got experience of straightforward deaths so have no experience of this kind of thing.

Comments

• Yes, there would be a need for a post mortem and a coroner's report.
  • My character Dorothy killed her husband's mistress by forcing her to take an overdose in order to make it look like a suicide.
  • Well there would need to be an autopsy in that situation obviously-unexpected death.
    But depending on the results and whether there is any question of involvement by another party it could be weeks later.
    I know there are a number of TB's who will have better information than me.
  • If it looked like someone else might have given the fatal dose then the body would be evidence and the funeral may have to wait as the investigation went on.
    If the situation was obviously suicide then -as everyone else has said the cornoner would have to rule this.

A family member of mine was killed by a drunk driver, the inquest the ruling was unlawful, and it was 3 months before we could lay him to rest.
  • That must have been very difficult for you all thaddeus.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, Susie. Think autopsy is the word used in America. It's post-mortem (Latin for after death) examination in England. People who die suddenly &/or in suspicious circumstances have to have one, I think. But I'm no expert. Scottish law is different from English. Welsh is probably the same as English. Not sure about Northern Ireland.
  • He couldn't be buried until the cause of death was established. It's a legal requirement (in the UK) to register the death before it can be buried or cremated. The death can't be registered without a doctor's certificate stating the cause of the death.

I think a post mortem would probably be required to show the drugs really were what killed him. Even if this was just a blood test it would take time and I think the funeral so soon after death is unrealistic.

An inquest might be required if it was unclear if the overdose was accidental or suicide or there was uncertainty about the cause of death. If there was any suggestion of 'foul play' there would be a police investigation.

It's possible for the inquest to be held after the funeral.

(I did some research on unexpected deaths for one of my novels)
  • edited October 2010
    Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that though the character is English, he dies and is buried in the States. I was assuming that the procedures were the same in both countries. As the death is of an important but minor character I might rewrite it so the MC doesn't attend the funeral or maybe I'll do some more research. Time for a major rethink.

It's now I'm on this redraft that I'm picking up the parts where I've made the plot fit in even if it's impossible. Fingers crossed there's not many more.
  • I think American law may be based on French rather than English law. A constitution, etc.
  • As it's in America and he's famous there could be a memorial service. This could be held before all the legal stuff was finished with. The MC could attend that.
  • Great idea, PM, that fits perfectly.