Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Do 'big' words in books annoy you?

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
I’m currently reading Colin Thubron’s travel book: Behind the Wall.
Thubron is a superb writer and whilst I’m reading this book for pleasure, it’s also teaching me how it’s possible to elevate the often perceived lowly or lightweight travel book to genuine literature.

His use of vocabulary is so rich I occasionally have to look up the meaning of words; no dumbing down or sticking to the simplest language for this writer!

Which leads me to my question:

How do you feel about books that challenge your knowledge of vocabulary?

Comments

• I like a rich vocabulary but dislike having to go look the word up to see what the writer is on about!
  • I don't mind occasionally having to consult the dictionary. More often than not I have an inkling what the word means but like to have it confirmed.

There was one book I found I was using the dictionary for pratically every page, and that became tiresome, so I gave up reading it (the book, not dictionary :) ).
  • Ditto what dora said.
  • Yes, I'd agree with Dora too- exactly my feelings on that question.
  • Depends on whether it's obvious the writer is just showing off!
  • Of course with an eReader you can tap the word and it gives you a definition so not so bad these days. But I too agree with Dora and agree with Jenny that it usually is a writer showing off when this happens. Of course there will be occasional words to look up now and again and that's fine, but the point is to communicate not educate.
  • But do writers show off, Jenny? I mean, seriously, would you?

I sometimes come across words I need the dictionary for and even words I've never met, or words which need explaining. Recently I had to ask on TB what schadenfreude meant - and now I've forgotten after someone kindly explained it to me ;) . But I think you deliver your writing in what seems to be a natural stream, emanating (cough, cough) from your level of education and your ever deepening experience of reading. I know I've got a rather literary way of putting things; or so people tell me from time to time.

Surely you shouldn't have to dumb down in case someone less literate reads what you've put?
  • I was just discussing this today with a friend.

We were reading other student's reading responses. I turned to my friend and said 'what happened to plain English?' One was using words like 'thus' another filled with 'elucidate.'

So many words. Why use five when you can use ten!
  • 'Elucidate' is plain English as far as I'm concerned, we use it quite a lot...

'Thus' is a bit archaic. Depends how it's used. But I wouldn't use it in a reading response i shouldn't think.

And the point of long, less used words is often that they replace five, plainer ones.

I think we are so lucky to have alternatives in English, and they are often beautiful, and if not beautiful, interesting. I wouldn't like having to wade through cloying piles of them every paragraph, it would slow reading too much, but I do enjoy finding the odd new word.
  • edited October 2010
    Sorry but the context of using 'elucidate' made it sound pompous. 'Reveals' or 'examines' would have been far more effective.

It also made me suspicious that the idea had been lifted from another source.
  • I don't mind big words, I often use some to colour narrative. I can't be doing with plain, boring narrative that doesn't even try to make me think or get the brain cells whirring. Some words can enrich storytelling, and I find that if I don't know a word, then I look it up and I learn what it is and what it means. Thus, I am enriched in doing so.
  • Elucidate means make clear or explain, so examine would not be a synonym. But it means more that 'explain' and I would definitely use it if I wanted to say that the meaning of something had been revealed to me in a way that made everything clear and easily understood. 'Reveal' would not carry all that meaning.
  • Well there's the proof that it had no place in the essay.
  • Lol! But big words in the right place are sometimes - in the right place.
  • Yes, sometimes only a big word is right in a particular place in the text.
  • Some interesting comments here. I agree with Red, Liz and some of the other comments.
    The writer who prompted me to start this thread is giving me a rewarding, enriching experience. He's not 'trying to be clever' - he IS clever and I'm more than happy to be educated by him.
  • edited October 2010
    Remember Blackadder coming up with all sorts of peculiar words, just to upset Dr Johnson who hadn't put them in his dictionary?
  • [quote=Jenny]Remember Blackadder coming up with all sorts of peculiar words, just to upset Dr Johnson who hadn't put them in his dictionary? [/quote]

Yes!

I like to come across the odd word I haven't heard before. I need to, otherwise my own vocabulary won't improve. But I usually try to infer the meaning from the words around it rather than look it up.
  • I rather like the archaic and obsolete words in our big Chambers Dictionary. I find them when checking answers for cryptic crosswords and get totally sidetracked!
  • edited October 2010
    back to that sidetracking, can't be doing with it! I dive into dictionary.com and leave my daughter to do the side tracking ... she reads the OED as if it's a novel.
  • [quote=Red]I find that if I don't know a word, then I look it up and I learn what it is and what it means. [/quote]

To me that's the same as being an interrupting narrator. If anything halts the story or makes you think of the writer and not the narrative then I class that as a fail. There are no such things as big words, just words we are unfamiliar with.

Use the word that is right for the story and nothing else, no matter what that word is.
  • Absolutely.

I've done quite a bit of educational writing where the injunction is, don't use such small words that the more capable reader is not challenged, don't use such big words that the less capable reader cannot understand them. The point is, the joy of reading. Words need to flow, you need to draw your reader in and make them empathise with your characters. Using words which need looking up in a dictionary instantly break the flow and the mood.

I use dictionary.com when one of my authors comes up with a word not that I don't necessarily understand but wonder whether they are using it in the right context. They've not failed me yet.
  • The copious deployment of obscure and lengthy synonyms instigates sensations of nausea in this unsophisticated bibliophile. ;)
  • SilentTony and Dorothyd

Spot on!
  • [quote=Jenny]I rather like the archaic and obsolete words in our big Chambers Dictionary. I find them when checking answers for cryptic crosswords and get totally sidetracked! [/quote]

Exactly the same here. Aren't cryptic crosswords wonderful for expanding your vocabulary :-)
  • [quote= Dwight]Recently I had to ask on TB what schadenfreude meant - and now I've forgotten after someone kindly explained it to me[/quote]

It is in the dictionary - "taking pleasure in another's misfortune" or words to that effect. We don't have an equivalent word in English, but we share the sentiment - it is what all so-called 'reality' shows are about on TV.
  • BUT how do you know what is going to flummox your reader? I would say educational publishing is quite different to writing a literary novel. Different people have different vocabularies, and most people (as children do as well) infer the meaning from the surrounding text. I only check if it's incredibly unusual. let's have some variety, not pap feed the ones who can't keep up. Otherwise we'll lose the variety of our wonderful language.
  • how many of us are writing literary novels, I wonder? I know I'm not! So I won't use long archaic sounding words if they aren't right, I need my readers to identify with my authors, which means smooth easy writing.
  • I have a character that is over 400 years old, he sometimes uses archaic language, and English is not his native tongue anyway, but I tend to try to keep it to a minimum. I don't mind having to get the dictionary out sometimes but I have to admit sometimes I feel writers use them to make themselves appear clever, it never usually works.
  • Hemmingway wrote literary stories, but he wrote them in a beautiful uber pared down style.

That's what I'm aiming for.
  • [quote=SilentTony]To me that's the same as being an interrupting narrator. If anything halts the story or makes you think of the writer and not the narrative then I class that as a fail. There are no such things as big words, just words we are unfamiliar with.[/quote]

It doesn't interrupt me and it doesn't make me think of the writer, but that's just me. I see an unfamiliar word, I look it up, learn it and use it and get on with reading the book. I also use long words or unfamilier words in everyday conversation too. That's not me being clever, it's just the volume of words I've learned. I used to read the dictionary like a novel, and did do from the age of 9, but then my parents did make me study constantly. I love unfamilier words, I like to learn, and I love the rich language we have. It's a pity it's seldom used so effectively.
  • [quote=richt] "taking pleasure in another's misfortune"[/quote]

Thanks for the help, RichT. Ugh, what an ugly concept. I get the impression the Sunday tabloid press is geared up for this sort of thing too.
  • Ooh, I wouldn't agree with that exact explanation of the word Rich T - I see it as if you really do enjoy the fact that your ex-wife has broken her leg, or someone nasty has lost their money etc... reality TV, for me (maybe you mean another sort of reality TV?) is about watching other lives and commiserating, and empathising, and trying to think what can be done, or learning from it... I would most certainly not term that schadenfreude.
  • Reality TV (to me) is about taking pleasure in watching other people make a fool of themselves. The producers of these shows are quite aware of this, which is why they include contestants like John McCreery (sp?) in Celebrity Big Brother, and John Sargeant and Ann Widdicombe in Strictly Come Dancing, and chose the participants of shows like Wife Swap very carefully to ensure maximum conflict.
  • Hi - I'm back for an hour or two, so just catching up again with some of these fascinating posts.

[quote=Liz!]BUT how do you know what is going to flummox your reader? I would say educational publishing is quite different to writing a literary novel. Different people have different vocabularies, and most people (as children do as well) infer the meaning from the surrounding text. I only check if it's incredibly unusual. let's have some variety, not pap feed the ones who can't keep up. Otherwise we'll lose the variety of our wonderful language. [/quote]

Agree with that 100%!

[quote=dorothyd]how many of us are writing literary novels, I wonder? [/quote]

I don't write literary fiction - but if I'm reading a 'literary novel' I expect (and want) to be challenged.

[quote=Red]It doesn't interrupt me and it doesn't make me think of the writer, but that's just me. I see an unfamiliar word, I look it up, learn it and use it and get on with reading the book. [/quote]

Like Red, I have no problem with an author who can teach me the odd new word along the way.
  • I'm reading a crime novel in which the author uses pussyfooting to mean moving quietly.

I've always thought it means messing about, but I've just looked it up and it can also mean to move stealthily.

That's me told then!
  • edited October 2010
    I take it to mean being unnecessarily delicate, overcareful, a bit cowardly, Jenny.
  • This is the definition on the Free Dictionary site:

puss·y·foot
    1. To move stealthily or cautiously.
    2. Informal - To act or proceed cautiously or timidly to avoid committing oneself.

Looks as though it has a small range of meanings!
  • There are two schools to this question really,reading should enlarge your vocabulary really, it is very easy to read what we feel familiar and comfortable with but sometimes it does no harm to be stretched thereby you increase your own command of the English language which is very rich. In France, I believe they have a relatively small vocabulary on the whole so they have one particular word which has more than one meaning, owing to invasions throuhout our history, we have preponderance of different words and its origins. Get a good dictionary and you will be surprised at its origins, also a Brewer's of Phrase and Fable to consult. I know it might hold things up but get a vocabulary book, that is one you can establish yourself and when you come across an unusual word, look it up and jot down the meaning so if the work is appropriate, you can use it too. Didn't any of you do this at school when you were studying your set English books? The habit can still continue and you might bless that person who you think is showing off.