Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Literary leaders

edited October 2010 in - Resources
There's an article in The Times Review section headed:"To Hell with traditional publishing - a new breed of free-thinking entrepreneurs is transforming the literary landscape"

As access to The Times website now has to be paid for, I thought it might be useful to quote the following from a section of the article headed "Literary leaders".

Extracts:

To Hell With Publishing: THWP has a special interest in uncovering overlooked talent: it puts out regular journals, encourages unsolicited book manuscripts, runs a competition to find the best unpublished books that larger publishers have turned down and even has a special imprint dedicated to first novels.

Ditto Press: Limited-edition art and photography books ... always look gorgeous. In 2011 it will publish its first series of novels.

Pen Pusher: The excellent independent literary magazine ... original short fiction and poetry-sharing pages ...

4'33": A new audio magazine that broadcasts and podcasts edgy engaging stories about modern life ...

5x15 Stories: Regular series of events, cofounded by Rosie Boycott, invites five speakers to deliver true stories of passion, obsession and adventure recounted live with just two rules: no scripts and only 15 minutes each. Howard Jacobson, Jeanette Winterson and Jung Chang are due to feature in the next month.

End of extracts

It would have helped if they'd provided websites for each of the above - and also if they'd put a hyphen in "cofounded". I read it as "confounded" at first! (And they also missed out the second r in entrepreneurs!)

Comments

• interesting stuff, thanks, Jenny!
  • Certainly an interesting variety. Thanks.
  • It's still self-publishing, whatever they might want to dress it up as.

The same concerns apply. What are their connections? What are their publishing credits? Why is Ditto Press charging authors to publish?

If they were serious about 'uncovering overlooked talent they would run like a commercial and set up as an indie. Money flows to the author, not the other way around.
  • Jenny - I agree about the hyphen as I read it as "confounded" as well.

Stirling - I don't understand your comment as it appears to have no bearing on the extracts posted. (Perhaps someone has deleted something to which you were responding?)
  • I know I'm late on this but this is the first I heard of 4'33'' being mentioned in The Times.
    For what it's worth, we're at www.fourthirtythree.com
    Writers, please submit! [email protected]
  • Now that the Times is behind a paywall there are a lot of things we don't hear about.
  • I wonder if it's paying off.
  • They claim it is but I'm not so sure.
  • Hi Wendling

Very interesting.

May I ask - what about those of us that write but are too shy, terrified or feel too inarticulate to read our writing out loud? I feel like I'm going to have a heart-attack when asked to read my (mostly horror) shorts out loud. It's not the subject matter, or even the fear of being judged - for me, I simply do not believe I have a performer's voice.

I am subscribed to other feeds (Cast Macabre, for example) where the editor and others read the work out in place of the authors in most cases.

I think it's excellent - and I would love to have the confidence - but...