Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Speaking to editors

edited November 2010 in - Writing Tales
I always thought that editors would be too busy to deal with queries on the phone. A couple of months ago I queried an editor by email with an article proposal but heard nothing back. Today I decided to call and had a nice chat with her followed by an email exchange, and it looks as if she'll be interested in at least one article from me next year.

Comments

• I think it depends on the editor, DB, and maybe the timing of your call.

I once phoned a magazine to ask what format they preferred for photographs and was told it was publication day. I was asked to call back next day and was put through to the editor who went through my suggestions for articles and rejected two on the spot (recently covered or too close to recently covered material) and asked for a third on spec which he published. The editor of a local magazine suggested I dropped in with the photos I was offering to go with an article and we chatted for half an hour about ideas that may suit the magazine with the result I wrote several pieces for the magazine and knew they would fit. However, I suspect staffing levels may now be less so maybe these "chats" are less likely to happen. It's apity we cannot know publication day for all magazines, for example, so we know to avoid them.
  • I've always found DCThomson's editors to be incredibly friendly and willing to have a quick word.