Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I get stuck

edited November 2010 in - Writing Problems
Hi everyone!
I can write short stories with no problems.
Unfortunately though after I have set a long story and begin to write it other ideas for other stories interrupt my work and I end up stuck. I never get to finish that long story.
How can I get rid of this problem? Just put new ideas into my notebook and then place it aside like the author, Alyson Noel does?
What would your advice be?
Thanks
Alana

Comments

• What you suggest is exactly what I do. However most of the ideas I get while writing a long story are to do with what I am working on. Could you incorporate new ideas in your long story?
  • unless the ideas fit your current story, write them and put them to one side. But ... the fact you cannot finish a story tells me that possibly the story is not burning you up. A story I had accepted two days ago came to me as I prepared sandwiches for a day out at Cheddar Gorge with the family. I 'wrote' the story all day in my head, it would not let go. I cannot tell you much about the day, but I do know my husband said 'you were writing all day!' and I was. Yesterday I completed an article on the changing face of motoring, something else which would not let me go. I kept thinking of anecdotes to add. When a story grabs you and won't let you go, you will find you can write it, no matter what length it is. Meantime, write those other shorter stories!
  • This problem is quite common, I think. Shiny new ideas are more appealing than the one we've started that we can already see will need work to make it could. Those new ideas are free of flaws and difficulties until we start writing them.

I suggest NaNo. It's nearly half way through now, but you could still sign up and commit to do half the word count.
  • I am as disorganised as hell. I have no shortage of ideas but i don't store them anywhere other than in my mind where they are constantly being forgotten. But then I don't have aspirations to write anything of note so it doesn't bother me. As long as I can fulfil my monthly obligations and leave myself a little time for my own amusement then I'm happy.
  • Put them in the notebook as suggested.
  • If I get stuck I tend to abandon that theme. I only write the stuff which is burning me up. It probably means I am less productive than those of you who can write across a range of topics but I can't do that. I admire that skill tho' and wish I had it.
  • Agree with you PBW, on all you've said.