Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

email access

Hello Everyone, I hope you are having a pleasant evening. Does anyone know why I cannot access my emails?

Comments

• which email system do you use, Patricia? There could be all sorts of reasons for not getting in. Are you on Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Google? None of them?
  • I've just logged into Hotmail and it is working okay.
  • Hi Dorothy, I use Yahoo.co.uk
  • I have just reconnected to the net after moving house. When I try to connect using the usual route I get a list of messages. Try firewall try refresh try again etc. What is firewall?
  • Firewall prevents unauthorised access to certain programmes.
    Maybe you have to disable the firewall ?
    My best bit of advice is - use Hotmail ! ;)
  • Patricia my hubby was able to get into Yahoo okay about an hour ago.
    Patricia the Firewall is what you should have on your computer- either the Windows version or one that comes with your computer security package.
    The firewall helps keep your computer safe.
  • No, don't use Hotmail, it's the worst of all the email people! Apart from the fact they censor what you can and cannot receive (proved that with my company's products, they will NOT allow any automatic email through with a download link in it, all Hotmail customers have to go elsewhere ...
    Don't disconnect your firewall, you need all the security you can get to block viruses and the like. Seems as if you need to reconfigure for your new Internet connection. Anyone good at that?
  • Oh ! Just ignore me Patricia .............. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *leaves thread quickly*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Reconfigure my new internet connection?
  • Now there you need an expert...
  • What I can't understand is that I was in earlier.
  • Then it must just be a temporary thing.
    I know there have been occasions when my e-mail system hasn't been accessible even though I know other TB's on the same system have been able to access theirs and vice-versa.
  • Ok Carol thanks. I'll retire gracefully and try again in the morning.
  • Hope it's working for you tomorrow Patricia.
  • [quote=dorothyd]No, don't use Hotmail, it's the worst of all the email people! Apart from the fact they censor what you can and cannot receive (proved that with my company's products, they will NOT allow any automatic email through with a download link in it, all Hotmail customers have to go elsewhere ...[/quote]

I've been using hotmail for 12-13 years and never had a problem. Never been great, but never bad either, but it is really good now. I also have a Yahoo (never use) and Gmail (use for separate things) Gmail and Hotnail are fine, Yahoo is a pain IMO. I actually have a new address with GMXmail I'm trying out too.
  • Hubby would agree with you on Yahoo, ST. I've not had problems with Hotmail either.
  • I began my Internet life with Hotmail and quickly dropped them as they were worse than useless from the start. They haven't improved any and they do censor you, be aware of that. Yahoo were great for a long time, then they went flaky. I have been on google ever since and not had a single problem. Most people I know (not TBers!) won't use Hotmail. I think if you find it all right, you tend not to try other people. I did and was more than glad I did. I have 6 different postboxes with google under different names, works very well. Yahoo continues to be hit with loads of spam and although the filter works to some degree, it doesn't work all the time. With google it does. They even sectioned an email from Natwest, warning me not to entrust any information to the reply because they suspected it! Now that is efficiency, with so much phishing going on.

Take it as read Dorothy HATES Hotmail through experience. not blind prejudice.
  • edited November 2010
    I understand that Dorothy as Hotmail hit strange ground a good few years back. Was awful for spam, proably the best now, and could actually be slow in receiving and sending emails. When users stared jumping ship due to new free HTML mail services they had to wake up. They did that in style and with great efficiency. I'm no Microsoft fanboy at all believe me, but Hotmail is solid. Also with SkyDrive and inbuilt Office it's even better now.

Gmail is funkier. I didn't like it at first but I was one of the first and beta testers so I was using unstable and a WIP model. I love it now. In fact I use that for a lot of things including calendar/planner, Google Docs and my RSS feeds in Reader. A hybrid of Hotmail and Gmail would be ideal. But as it's all free nowadays you can have it all anyway.

You're a great example of why the internet has to be consistent and always improving Dorothy. A bit of bad experience and people drop you. Companies don't always realise how many people do that and how quickly. Sure they improve but if it takes too long the user has adopted a new service and won't look back.
  • I agree. I have coaxed a lot of people off Hotmail. If they want to go on ordering instant downloads from us, they have to go elsewhere. Simple as that.
  • Now I like Hotmail
    ...and I like Yahoo

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out............FIIIIIIGHT!
  • too tired to fight ...
    Gmail every time.
  • BB good stuff, I hope to see that on Harry Hill soon. Battle of the inboxes.
  • Any joy with your emails today, PL?
  • Hi Jenny! I have made an appointment with a computer engineer. He's coming on Monday.
  • That's good!
  • I've used AOL for ten years now and never had any problems.