Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A market for horror writers - Cutting Block Press Horror Library Vol 5

edited November 2010 in - Resources
Thought you lovely horror writers might be interested in this market:

http://cuttingblock.net/submissions.html#hl5

They pay 1.5 cents per word plus contributors copy. I'm preparing something but think I might have to beef up the horror a bit first!

Comments

• that looks most interesting, thanks, Lou! I will polish and revise my brand new story and see if they like it.
  • Thanks Lou :) looks good, got a few to send in to this one.
  • Good luck, but be warned that's one tough cookie to crack. It's also one hell of an accolade for your writer's C.V if you do so. To heighten your chances make sure you use American spelling etc, gear it up to the yank market. I gave up trying with them after the 5th rejection lol
  • Yes, I thought it looked tough but always worth a try!
  • Definitely worth a try, nowt ventured and all that.
  • I think TBers stand a good chance. Can't understand why you've not been accepted, Lee.

I've just read one of the stories, and in the first few paragraphs the tenses were all over the place, swinging from past continuous to past and back again, possessive pronouns in the wrong place, commas where there should be full stops, too many hanging participles and my favourite bugbear, excessive use of 'was', which leads to too much telling and no showing, and this particular story had no showing at all.

If this is the calibre required, well my gob is truly smacked, because we have a rash of great horror writers on here - Lou, Lee, Dorothy, Lily, B-r and even young Pixie pants, to name but a few, that could knock their socks off.

So get writing and send in!
  • [quote=Red]we have a rash of great horror writers on here - Lou, Lee, Dorothy, Lily, B-r and even young Pixie pants[/quote]

... and Red!
  • I've submitted a brand new story. Heard back immediately, inviting me to join Zoetrope, a free online horror writers' site. Going to do just that. Anyone else want to join in there? I don't visit many forums, so it would be good to have another one, with like minded people. I'm pleased with the story, which had the Forever England feel about it, somehow. Not been writing new short stories, the latest output has taken me by surprise!
  • Perhaps all these new markets are stimulating you, Dorothy!

Yes, I got a nice friendly email too. Perhaps to dull the news that it could take 6 months to hear back...

I don't think I'll join any more forums, though. I'm a Talkback girl now!
  • D, can you post a link to Zoetrope, please? Tried Googling it, but inconclusive results. Sounds intriguing...
  • edited November 2010
    I think this may be the place BL. Sorry if it's the wrong one Dorothy.

http://www.zoetrope.com/

or

http://www.all-story.com/
  • either or. I am still searching for the forum, but the editor type person says he has invited me in. I will go check later.