Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Google alert problem?

edited February 2011 in - Resources
I've set up a Google alert for my name (because I was worried Jay would come round and bash me with a limp lettuce leaf if I didn't) It used to show my blog posts as the first item every day I made a post (which is most days) but now these aren't showing up at all. Not a huge problem, because I know they're 'out there' but I wondered why that was happening and if it meant lots of other stuff was also being missed.

My blog name is my name and I've not changed that or my alerts.

Comments

• I have noticed it doesn't seem to be working too, PM.
    My blog stats have shown google searches for my name but I've not had the alerts, whereas I did before.
    I set up some new alerts using a different e-mail address and they are coming through okay.
    As seem to be the ones for Nottingham Writers Club.
  • edited February 2011
    (Bear in mind I may not know what I'm talking about :) . )

Google doesn't pick up some um levels of um things.
    Sometimes it seems to pick up some things twice or something it picked months earlier.
    Don't know why what was once picked up is no longer picked up.
    Don't know why it doesn't pick up what is shown on a Google search.

I intend to put reminders on a Checklist thread rather than on the Googling Yourself thread (which grew like Topsy).

PM, we wanted to visit Kos, but they wouldn't let us. :)
  • edited February 2011
    [quote=Jay Mandal]PM, we wanted to visit Kos, but they wouldn't let us.[/quote]

LOL (lo rosso!)
  • I've noticed that, PM, the only google alerts I get for my name are asking people to sign a condolence book or something like that. I don't have a blog and rarely contribute to any, but the Antonia Woodville name is out there a lot and that rarely gets picked up. It doesn't seem to work as well as it used to, good job most of my extensive research is done.
  • Thanks. Maybe it's just a temporary glitch?
  • Google has just reported via an alert that I have a story on Spook City. It's been there over 24 hours ...
  • then there are the times it suddenly tells you of something from several years ago :)
  • Hi PM, do you mean posts on your own blog or elsewhere?
    I believe Google will only pick your name up if you actually write it in the post, not the WP automated 'posted by:' (which is just your christian name anyway).
    Have you done anything different from when it picked up the first posts?

Tony
  • I was referring to posts on my blog (as well as eleswhere) Sometimes it picks them up, because I use my name as my blog name. I haven't had any alerts at all for the last few days and no, I haven't changed anything I can think of.
  • I haven't either, nothing is coming in from google.
  • I agree it's been very quiet.
  • Perhaps google has been on holiday?