Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book programmes

edited February 2011 in - Resources
I am enjoying the writing programmes at 6.30pm with Anne Robinson interviewing writers who talk about, and read from books, that have influenced them. They also talk about books that they have written.

Comments

• I haven't seen any of them. It's on at the wrong time in the evening for me.
  • Yeah, I'm asleep, too, Carol. :)
  • Glad you're enjoying them Stan.

But yes, wrong time of the evening for me, too busy a time.
  • for me too, tea over, about to start serious work.
  • I saw last night programm, quite interesting and funny in places, The Hungry Caterpillar got a good rating
  • I keep missing that show,looks quite good. I don't generally like book club style shows though. I always liked the Mariella Frostrup one on Sky Arts. That was a perfect format for me.
  • I liked the first one with PD James and Richard Bacon. He was showing him his e reader but she said she prefered books.
  • I have missed these completely. I didn't even know that they were on or what they are called. Has anyone got any times etc I'd be grateful. Thanks
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z1k51/My_Life_in_Books_Giles_Coren_and_Sue_Perkins/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z0ll3/My_Life_in_Books_PD_James_and_Richard_Bacon/

BBC2, 6.30pm this week and presumably next week.
  • I recorded two of the programmes, they were quite enjoyable.
  • I missed tonight's programme because I went out.
  • edited February 2011
    I was asleep again. Yesterday, I slept before and after lunch; before and after supper; and then last night from 9pm to 3am.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00z1kvp/My_Life_in_Books_Clare_Balding_and_Hardeep_Singh_Kohli/
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/seasons/books/
  • Thanks Jay for these links.
  • That's OK, Stan. (I've had two more naps since 3am.)
  • And another doze.
  • Next one at 6.30pm tonight. I may even be awake.
  • And The One Show had a piece about Lady Chatterley's Lover.
  • heard about that, on the phone with my friend at the time, she gave me a running commentary. They were showing different covers, apparently.
  • Tonight's programme was good.
  • Peter Snow and his son, Dan, tonight. Very interesting.
  • [quote=Stan2]Peter Snow and his son, Dan, tonight. Very interesting. [/quote]

sounds rude, that.
  • [quote=dorothyd]They were showing different covers, apparently. [/quote]

not duvet covers, I hope, that Lady Chatterley and her lover had been discovered under? Lordie mama!
  • Your minds! ;(
  • I've seen a few of these programmes and thought they were very good; enjoyed the Peter and Dan one. I also remember the Lady Chatterley judgement when everyone rushed out to buy the book when it was over, I think in 1960.
  • The programmes continue tomorrow.
  • The Lady Chatterley trial:
    "Is it a book you would wish your wife or your servants to read?"
    Mervyn Griffith-Jones, for the prosecution :).
  • As I'm sure a lot thought at the time, 'what servants?'
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]I was asleep again[/quote]

This came up on a Google Alert. ;)

I think I slept 7 hours during the day yesterday; then another 6 and a half last night; then I've been dozing most of the morning.
  • Tonight's edition was an interesting mix - Laurence Llewellyn Bowen and Sister Wendy! Both very good on the show and chose some unusual books. I have seen most of the shows now and enjoyed them very much. People's book choices vary so much, and so do their reasons - Claire Balding even talked about the smell of a favourite book. It has been said it's the book equivalent of Desert Island Discs as guests can only choose 5 out of all their fave books since childhood, and are then asked to nominate the one they would most ecommend to others - a very tough choice for someone like Sister Wendy who spent her childhood reading TWO books a day, so must have devoured thousands, and says she loves everyday commercial detective fiction as much as the more serious art and religion!!
  • Last night was interesting.
  • Nice to see 'The Woman in Black' mentioned on Tuesday's programme, described as 'the best modern ghost story'.. I'll go along with that for sure.
  • I only saw part of the programme last night.
  • I watched last nights , found it really interesting , bit strange that Larry Lamb( cant believe his name ) like reading books of maps.
  • Don't forget tonight's celebration of World Book Night on BBC2.