Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to Write Horror article

edited March 2011 in - Resources
A couple of months ago I was approached by Annie Evett, Managing Editor at the excellent online writers' resource 'Write Anything' to write an article on how to write horror. My initial reaction was How? I just do it!

But when I sat and properly contemplated the question I realised that actually, there are of course skills involved in presenting a story that thrills and disturbs in equal measure. But it's a case of balance between method and flow, and ultimately the final edit.

As Write Anything's audience is already made up of aspiring or established writers I decided to present the article as generic advise for writers of all ages and levels of experience who are considering trying their hand at the horror genre.

I peppered it with my own methodology but as someone who dislikes rules would hope readers might consider my advice, but write as themselves - with their own voice.

If you would like to read How to Write Horror by Lily Childs I would welcome your comments. Thank you.
http://writeanything.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/how-to-write-horror

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Hi Lily
    I realy enjoyed reading that. horror not my scene but some of the things you said make even me want to have a go. Well done on an excellent article
  • Yeah I second that. Great article that is of value to any writer. I really enjoyed it.
  • I couldn't be comfortable writing horror stories, as they would frighten me, but did appreciate your excellent article, Lily. Anything supernatural terrifies me and gives me nightmares, although I know it's stupid.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, as like Jennymmmmph, horror is not a subject I've ever felt able to write about.

But Lily, your informative and straightforward article has just made me decide I want to have a go now.

Thanks.
  • Liked the article, Lily.
  • Great article Lily!

I used to have my office down in the cellar with no natural light and I tell you there have been times that I have run up the stairs after a writing session and not wanted to go back down!
  • Thank you everyone!

Neph - that's a horror story waiting to happen!
  • [quote=LilyC]Neph - that's a horror story waiting to happen! [/quote]

I know. There was once I had moved some shelves down there that had been outside for a while and just to hide all the meters and things I hung up some white voile curtains, put these shelves in front of them and put all my stuff on, you know the skulls and candles and stuff. Well one evening I turned around to find the white voile was a heaving black mass of baby spiders, I'm not a big fan of spiders!!
  • Forgot to comment before! Read your article and really enjoyed it, Lily.
    Thank you for spreading your awesomeness in the form of teaching :D
  • Just finished reading it and loved it!
  • [quote=bored_robots]Thank you for spreading your awesomeness in the form of teaching[/quote]

doesn't bear thinking how Lily would deal with us if we were naughty pupils
  • [quote=dora] doesn't bear thinking how Lily would deal with us if we were naughty pupils [/quote]

Depends on what mood you’re in whether or not it bears thinking about!
  • edited March 2011
    If you go to the Hive City writers search engine (Writers Knowledge Base) and type in 'horror' Lily's article is first on the list.

edit forgot link: http://hiveword.com/wkb/search
  • Trying to work out why bears would be thinking about it. Hmmm.
  • Wow! Thanks for that Tony!
  • Lily, I am going to go and read that in a mo.
    There's quite a lot I've discovered about Horror from you lot on TB and the TKnC site! I've read quite a lot of work in the horror genre since I was introduced to it by you, Lee and The Colonel and I can tell you it's never going to be my scene! But it's all writing - for good or ill - and I'm interested in that side if nothing else.
    The one thing that strikes me so often is the explicit, graphic OVER-writing that gets done. Is this a horror must-have, is that what it's really all about? For me, the subtle understatement that worms its way into my brain and lies there dormant ... until two in the morning when I wake remembering and turn on the light ... that's horror. And that's why I don't like it! The graphic stuff I can deal with and dismiss as just 'shock' written but the mind-games are the memorable ones.
    I'm off to have a read now!
  • Read it now. Go on, everyone, go read it for yourselves.
    Lily you should be doing workshops on this subject. Well done. More!
    I'll be watching.
    And waiting ...