Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Britain's top 300 intellectuals

edited May 2011 in - Resources
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/may/08/top-300-british-intellectuals?intcmp=239

Naturally disappointed that I haven't made the list - however I do "know" someone on it, under the philosophers !

Probably the list makers couldn't decide which category to put me in ...

Which category would you be in ? (if you woz interlectchewal that is )

Comments

• Ooh, Brian Cox made the list. -swoon-

I would be in all of the categories, naturally. ;)
  • edited May 2011
    I shall give that question some intellectual thought ..
  • [quote=IrishAutumn]Ooh, Brian Cox made the list. -swoon-[/quote]

And to think once he thought it would be a good idea to be in a band! :P

Ok why are there no interlectual artists? Coz dat is where I'd be!!
  • [quote=Neph]And to think once he thought it would be a good idea to be in a band![/quote]

Oh, the follies of youth.... ;)
    I love his shows. I love astronomy.
  • Amazed that Dora didn't make it either, unless she has another name. I agree intellectual Artist would be nice.
  • No comment...;)
  • I find Dora really intellectual
  • They left my name out!
  • [quote=IrishAutumn]I love his shows. I love astronomy. [/quote] I like how his name is always followed by the phrase, 'the rock'n'roll physicist'!

Nice to see Clive Anderson on there. I thought there'd be more musicians though.
  • Interesting list - thanks Lexia.

I know Tom Paulin - lovely man. He was one of my tutors at Nottingham University. Don't hear much of him now - he used to be everywhere.
  • Omnipresent?
  • [quote=Neph]And to think once he thought it would be a good idea to be in a band![/quote]

Well, you know.. Things can only get better ;)
  • [quote=Neph]Ok why are there no interlectual artists? [/quote]

This is what I thought as soon as I saw the list. Is it 'cos they can't spell ?
    ;)
    nb: am sure dora is in there but under another name ...
  • They left me off so they didn't make others feel inadequate, as I am a greater Polymath than Stephen Fry
  • edited May 2011
    I received a letter asking me if I wanted to be included in the lists.

Dear Mr Brosghan
    We are putting together a list of very clever people and would like to include your name. Imagine Mr Broskhan how you would feel to see your name amongst the brainy people of the world. The Brosgana household would be proud to see your name as a clever dick who knows loads. If you would like to see your name included Mr Brosssnam then simply return this letter in the 'Yes' envelope along with the completed DD details. Reply within 14 days and receive a free gift of a Albert Einstein statuette. Imagine how jealous your neighbours will be when they see this adourning your mantle. Not only will your name be added to the list but every month you will receive a copy of Quantum Theory and Physics in a Nutshell.

Now if all those people on the list fell for this I don't think they're that bloody intellectual!!!
  • @ marc :D
  • I expected to see Stephen Fry in the list but he's not included
  • Either my joke was bad... or no one got it. Probably a bit of both.
  • LOL Marc.B

:D
  • [quote=Jediya]Well, you know.. Things can only get better [/quote]
    :D LOL Jediya
  • [quote=Jennymf]I find Dora really intellectual [/quote]

"collapses with lol, rolls around on floor, does impression of a dying fly"
  • [quote=Jediya]Either my joke was bad... or no one got it. Probably a bit of both[/quote]

I got it but I've been away for a few days so only just saw it - I thought it was funny!
  • "penny has just dropped, groans in a nice way" :)
  • told you , you were intellectual Dora
  • Possibly I was, in another life Jennymmmmmmph :)
  • [quote=dora] does impression of a dying fly"[/quote]

Wot, the spinning round 'n the buzzing wings 'n all that?
  • zzzzzz yeeeezzzzzzzzz :)
  • Kan I b an intulecktooal?
  • ann mee two? Karroll must orlreddy bee wun. She rote a very long werd, wiv five syllabubs