Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Why do I need deadlines?

edited May 2011 in - Writing Problems
I love writing my travel articles, I really do. So why oh why do I always find it so hard to get started if I don’t have a deadline?

Well, there’s nothing for it. I’m just going to have to manufacture a 'deadline'.

I solemnly promise not to log onto talkback again until I’ve got cracking on that first draft.

See you later peeps.

Comments

• I'm sure it's only natural to feel more motivated when there is a dealine. Instead, maybe you could promise yourself a reward that you can have as soon as the article is done - one that you'd really like soon!
    Happy writing ;)
  • I don't know what it is, Claudia. I create 'artificial' deadlines for myself all the time in an attempt to get started. It doesn't always work, but most of the time I don't argue with myself too much! :)
  • Maybe you can even use a countdown. I have an app for that on my igoogle but I've never usd it.
  • We all have deadlines though, for if you don't write it, it never gets writ and before you know it, you're six feet under.

Can't get a deader line than that, surely, on your gravestone "here lies the writer that never writ"?
  • I am one of these people who thrives on a deadline. Without it I can end up doing the wrong things.
  • Some writers are just like that...
  • What, wrongdoers?
  • I need the pressure of deadlines otherwise i spend too much time on facebook, tb, twitter, etc.

Hope you are getting on with the first draft :)
  • I find some sort of a deadline helps. That's a major factor in the value of belonging to a writers' group. I belong to a group here in Cardiff and I make a point of having a chapter to read at each meeting - and we meet weekly. It gives structure to the week.
  • [quote=claudia]I solemnly promise not to log onto talkback again until I’ve got cracking on that first draft.[/quote]

Well, I've only managed to crank out the first paragraph, but it's a start.
    I've decided the only way to deal with this is to make myself a real deadline. So I'm going to e-mail the editor I'm planning to write this one for and tell her that I'm going to send her an article within the next couple of weeks.
    That'll sort me out!
    :)
  • edited May 2011
    You're being too nice to yourself, claudia - why not promise it before the end of the month! :)

(I know what you mean, I need deadlines myself. Most of my best work is done to deadline - I think it has more spontaneity than when I have too much time to think and edit.)
  • I set myself a target this year, at least one piece of writing HAS to go out every month. So far it has, and May's is on schedule for trotting away next week.

Good luck with that claudia.
  • edited May 2011
    [quote=Patrick]why not promise it before the end of the month![/quote]

Hah! If I thought I could produce a good quality article within that timescale I would, but I know to my cost how stupid mistakes can occur with rushed articles. ;)

Edit: not that I'm suggesting that you make stupid mistakes with yours, Patrick!
  • [quote=claudia]not that I'm suggesting that you make stupid mistakes with yours, Patrick! [/quote] -

oh, I do make stupid mistakes, claudia! :) It's all about balance - writing to deadline but leaving enough time to edit (but not too much time in my case or I lose the sponateity of the orignal piece.)

Good luck with your article and well done dora for setting a target and sticking to it.
  • That's why I liked NaNoWriMo - it gave me a dead line.

There is supposed to be a new NaNoWriMo 'Summer camp' this year... dunno if I could do it twice a year though... I could give it a go
  • It's too easy to relax, isn't it? Some of us need to be put under a bit of pressure in order to get motivated. The One Word Challenge is always a doozy for me. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm often surprised when someone's work appears the day the new challenge gets posted. When I write one, it's mostly always posted on the very last day. In fact, Jay once whispered a comment on one of my posted stories or poems that read something like: "You cut that close." Hehehe, I think I put it up with about a minute to spare! :D
  • [quote=Eddisbury]I make a point of having a chapter to read at each meeting - and we meet weekly. It gives structure to the week. [/quote]

Wow. Now that is impressive! (slinks off with nose to the ground and tail between me legs!)
  • It is impressive isn't it, Eddisbury's reading once a week to the group.

That's one reason why I've organised the Short Story Group, as I can't get to a group, but would like that sort of deadline if I did.
  • [quote=claudia]I've decided the only way to deal with this is to make myself a real deadline. So I'm going to e-mail the editor I'm planning to write this one for and tell her that I'm going to send her an article within the next couple of weeks.[/quote]

I haven't even e-mailed her yet (well wasn't much point over the weekend), but my decision to do so seems to have done the trick because the first draft is now written.

I might have it finished before the end of the month after all.
    :)