Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creating suspence

edited May 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hi I'm new to this first time on here and just wondered how all of you deal with creating a mood in your writing that develops suspense so that the reader is drawn in and then gets hit with a scare. Its pretty easy in films and in my head I see it the way it should be but i'm struggling when it comes to describing it in words.

Thanks

Guffy

Comments

• Hi Guffyowl welcome . You will get lots of good advise on here , there are lots of clever people who will be able to answer your question.
  • pbwpbw
    edited May 2011
    Hi Guffyowl and welcome. I'm no expert. I don't teach it and I'm not published but if you're gonna do it you have to dive in, I reckon. You need to research 'pacing' (how quickly/slowly your plot moves along and when to speed it up/slow it down). You need to research 'exposition' (what you reveal, whether you reveal it incrementally, whether you can foreshadow what you are going to reveal, and finally, decide when to reveal the punchline and how it is revealed).

As for creating mood (don't know if this is right, it's just how I do it), depending on which point of view (POV) I'm using, I set the scene (but please never start with 'It was a dark and stormy night'. It's a cliche and cliches are no-nos), I interweave action and reaction, scene setting and other information if needed to clarify things. I use symbols, metaphors, echoes and repetition. You can also set mood through dialogue and gestures.

Okay, that's the theory and it is, of course, easier said than done.

There are loads of 'how to' books out there and loads of online resources, especially blogs, in which writers and tutors write about how to do it. Good luck. And of course you can always ask specific questions on here.
  • Suspense is all about doubt, you have to make the reader feel uncertainty that the MC will succeed in their goals…or even live through them!

Both hope and despair need to be looming on the horizon and you need to create an ambiguity to which one the character will attain. By dangling both possibilities in front of the reader you increase expectancy and anticipation, both of which will draw the reader into the story.

Suspense will precede an event, which may include danger or loss, so the reader needs to be ‘aware’ of this event, or at least of the stakes the MC is playing for.
  • My son brought a sheet home recently about story writing and one way to create a "spookiness" included making numerous references to the time. I can only conclude that is so the reader is made aware time is moving on toward summat horrid about to happen.
  • Setting up various scenarios, all of which are likely to lead to disaster - writing each scene one after the other so you don't get to the what could be scary bit yet - things which perhaps your protagonist doesn't know, as they innocently skip down the road, but that your reader does. Ruth Rendell is very good at this.
  • Hello Guffyowl.
  • Thanks everyone for the comments

I'm 22,000 words into my first novel and on the whole it is looking good but I just feel in someplaces the pace is too fast so suspense is over too quick. No horror involved just a man alone in his house having a bath unaware that a stranger is walking around his house, he finds out when the man his sat on the toilet staring at him.

Thanks again
  • If you've written 22,000 words about a man walking round a house and being found sitting on the toilet, I might question whether the suspense is not drawn out enough!
  • I get the same feeling with some parts of my novel, Guffy. I'm 77k in and I still think the action is too fast paced in too many places. It's all fixable in edits though, for now I'm just trying to blast through to the end.

I like the idea of your character being blissfully unaware of the stranger in the house. How are you doing this? Two viewpoints or third person omniscient?
  • [quote=Liz!] I might question whether the suspense is not drawn out enough! [/quote]

Not if its done right, Carol. Gerald's Game by Stephen King is much, much longer and the MC is handcuffed to the bed the entire book!
  • Why am I Carol all of a sudden? I know I have a split personality, but really!

How long could you not notice someone walking round your house?
  • Hehe, that’s the second time I've done that recently! I keep calling people on TB the names of whoever's blog I'm reading!

My multitasking brain is obviously in need of a MOT. Sorry, Liz!

Not very long in my house, it's not that big and it's very creaky. Plus dog would be on a visitor like a shot! :p
  • So would Lola of course. Licking them to death whilst they cut her throat and choked her with toilet paper. Of course, no intruder would be able to get into my toilet as I'm usually there already due to the vast quantities of tea I drink.
  • [quote=Liz!]How long could you not notice someone walking round your house? [/quote]

Surely that depends on how well they hide themselves? If you're not expecting to see a stranger in your house you won't be looking for one.

No intruder would want to enter my bathroom if one of my boys had just used the toilet.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi Guffyowl.

You can get your character to think how well everything is going, how safe he is etc - the reader is likely to expect that to all change pretty quickly.
  • Don't describe it. Show it.

It's taken me a few years to be happy with "showing" rather than telling and I certainly don't think I could explain it better.

Not much help - but hello anyways :)
  • A great book for suspense is 'Conflict, Action & Suspense', one of the Elements of Fiction Writing series by Writer's Digest Books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conflict-Suspense-Elements-Fiction-Writing/dp/0898799074

I have a copy, and I've found it very useful. It explains several elements of suspence, such as mood, atmosphere, viewpoints, foreshadowing, setting and narrative. If you can, then I'd get a copy - especially if you'll be writing more stories full of action and suspense!
  • See I told you Guffy. Lots of clever people on here.
  • "looks around to see if can spot who Jennymmmmmph may be talking about"
  • Hello and welcome Guffyowl. I didn't say that, how rude. And talking about other stuff on your thread.
  • [quote=Guffyowl]I'm 22,000 words into my first novel and on the whole it is looking good but I just feel in someplaces the pace is too fast so suspense is over too quick. No horror involved just a man alone in his house having a bath unaware that a stranger is walking around his house, he finds out when the man his sat on the toilet staring at him.[/quote]

First, just write the first draft. Enjoy it and don't even think about publication. Now, when you start a second draft you'll probably have to remove the first 20,000 words.

I really like the idea of finding this man sitting on the toilet. Now, how do you create suspense? Well it's a blend of plot and character. You need to ask yourself:

- Who is this man? Does your hero know him? If so, how?
    - How has this man got into his house without his knowledge? How does this make the hero feel?
    - Why is he there? To kill the hero or looking for help?
    - Why did he decide to wait for the hero in the toilet?

Things like that, build a sense on anxiety up in the hero's and readers mind. Sounds like a fab set up for a thriller. :D
  • Just to point out the 22,000 words i written are not all about the man in the house this is just a secment of the plot.

The comments on here have been really helpful
  • The Road by Cormack McCarthy is good at maintaining suspense throughout the novel. That's why I didn't really enjoy it - I dislike uncomfortable horror - but I could see how well it was done and it has received acclaim. I made notes after reading it (you know how they recommend learning from books you read, to see how the author achieved the effects) and have just found them for you, Guffy owl:

But The Road by Cormac McCarthy is much closer to what I need for my own writing: a continual agony of worry as if wringing your sweaty hands together in your lap in front of a gruesomely menacing horror movie.
    So as not to spoil the read for those of you who haven’t had the ‘pleasure’ of reading this nicely done horrible book, I’ll keep what I’ve noticed to note form:
    - The road itself, initially going through a forest which affords visual cover, is portrayed as dangerous because it represents the likelihood of meeting people.
    - People are seen as the real danger, for reasons which become clear as the journey progresses
    - The ideal vehicle for conveying this fear is two protagonists, a man and a boy, and their dependence on each other.
    - Their feelings/worries are never ‘told’. Instead everything about them is revealed in a clipped dialogue technique.
    - This dialogue circles more and more around topics of anticipated nastiness, as in: “Don’t do it, Papa;” “But we have to get food.” “No, can we move on?” In other words, the characters tell each other that there is something to be scared about.
    - The ground is regularly laid to establish the unpleasant quality of the dangers that are hanging over the protagonists. For example they come across some form of the danger in a relatively reduced or controlled version first, but the potential for horror is there.
    - This potential is only partly perceived by the boy, but this partial observation serves to enlighten the man (and the reader) of what might happen soon.
    - The worrying aspect of ‘other people’ changes as circumstances become more and more desperate during their progress along the road. The author cranks up both the unwelcomeness of what might happen and the imminence of risk. The reader learns to recognise the signs.
    - This technique of intensifying the fear-factor is helped paradoxically by another device: the occasional false alarm and the flood of relief that it triggers. The reader is left wondering whether to brace themselves or not.
    - The nature of the dangers that face the pair means that they have so much to lose. It is what is at stake in the face of these dangers which makes the fear factor effective.
    - The added angst of realising, step by step, that there is only one way for the protagonists to go and that is down. Somehow they are clinging to hopes, unexplained hopes, but everything around them points to hope being baseless and a mere dream. They begin to have dreams, which are based on the way things were, the outcome for the reader being to face themselves with the inevitable: in the new order, those things cannot be. Their outlook, at least as perceived by the reader, is unremittingly bleak.
  • HI Guffy, hope you enjoy talkback!
  • Gryffy there's only one sure-fire way of creating suspense in writing that's a bit of a secret but we all know it here. To create the best suspense all you need to do is
  • That's right! but you missed something vital, Tony, without fail you also have to
  • At least twice...
  • did you both write those sentences while driving on Beachy Head?
  • edited May 2011
    Yeah at least twice and answer the third. But joking aside that was my real point. Suspense is the unanswered question the writer asked. If he answers it then you move on to the next question. If you answer that...well you get it. You can tell from two angles only and the third kills it. It the over arc this is in acts 1,2, and at the end of three. There are many devices to use, the Chekov's Gun being the most popular I guess. Because suspense or tension is nothing without a conclusion and an explosion.

I'm not the first to say this and I really by a long shot won't be that last. But suspense in fiction is like sex. It the build up, the taking back, the delay the rebuilt and the surprise. It's the new move, the unexpected, the point of no return only to be taken elsewhere. It's the tease of orgasm without giving it but always giving small ones before you do. Then releasing when you both reach the pinnacle of excitement, or at least when one does and that Checov Gun is in danger of going off on its own! But by god like sex it had better be good after all that because if it isn't your readers won't call back or text you ever again.
  • Hi, Guffyowl. Welcome to Talkback. Best of luck with the book.
  • [quote=Guffyowl]The comments on here have been really helpful [/quote]

Great.

Good luck with your book.
  • chekov's point is correct.
    But I once watched an american movie in which a Truck followed a car. That was the whole plot. And you kept wondering whether it would smash into it. I actually watched the whole film.
  • edited May 2011
    Duel! Spielberg's debut, and quite different from anything he's done since! It's amazing how much mileage (sorry) and suspense he gets from that simple premise.

It's actually a perfect illustration of what's being said here: what makes Duel so suspenseful is what's withheld - you never know who's driving the truck, or why he or she goes on such a mission.
  • I remember Duel, it was dead scary first time I saw it.
  • As Webbo as pointed out already with the great Duel, starring Dennis Weaver, the suspense came from what you didn't see. The greatest horror/ghost stories are those where you never get to see the monster/ghost. Ridley Scott employs this to great effect in Alien (1979). You don't really get to see the alien until the last few moments. The idea is that the audience fills in the gaps. It works the same for books. Clever writers will use suspense to make the reader fill in the gaps with their own imaginations. Less is more.
  • I think a lot of suspense comes from a feeling of 'that could happen to me!', you might not be on a space tug with an alien hunting down your crew - but what you can relate to is that you might also choose some of the same paths if you WERE in that situation. Therefore an out of the ordinary situation becomes relatable. The most basic and recognisable of human decisions can make the unfamiliar very familiar...and scary.
  • Also, Duel is an awesome film!!
  • [quote=Red]The greatest horror/ghost stories are those where you never get to see the monster/ghost.[/quote]

Yes I agree, although we did see the 'newly born' alien as it burst into life from John Hurt's stomach, if you remember, covered in blood. Its appearance, with those teeth, and the speed with which it escaped created plenty of scope for viewer imagination to create their own scares.

In Duel, it was the driver who wasn't seen. Almost as if it was the faceless truck itself which was hunting down Dennis Weaver. No driver. This is another element of suspense which can be used to effect: the evil genius is somehow unaccountable to the normal rules and therefore unpredictable. What is he/she/it or what are they going to do next?

Another feature that Spielberg used was to make his protagonist helpless in some way - always a good one for added horror and suspense. So poor Dennis Weaver's car was not a souped up Porsche which might have shown the truck a clean pair of wheels. Do you remember the sequence where he was out ahead of the truck but came to an uphill incline and his blessed car developed go-slow engine trouble. I can't remember exactly, but I think he saw the blessed truck, against all normal uphill odds, gaining on him in his mirror as he begged his car to gather that elusive speed that it was incapable of. What a relief it was for him to crest the blessed hill with bare yards to spare and pull away into the clear blue yonder. Relief. Salvation... until - and there's another suspense trick: the shock of the surprise when least expected. Just as he's thanking his lucky stars at the railroad crossing and his defences, if you like, were down with alertness at its lowest, the damned truck had crept up silently to push him under the train. That trick made that moment one of the scariest in the movie.
  • [quote= Dwight]Its appearance, with those teeth, and the speed with which it escaped created plenty of scope for viewer imagination to create their own scares.[/quote]

Yes Dwight, the glimpse of the Alien in his first gestative state did give the audience something to build on. Almost a tease to lead the audience to the climax.

One of the most effective uses of suspense can be found in the original 1963 The Haunting. The audience never gets to see the 'ghost' but it sure as hell frightens the daylights out of its audience by constantly building on our primal fears.
  • [quote=Red]One of the most effective uses of suspense can be found in the original 1963 The Haunting. The audience never gets to see the 'ghost' but it sure as hell frightens the daylights out of its audience by constantly building on our primal fears. [/quote]

There is also an argument that there actually isn't a ghost at all, but the 'haunting' is actually Eleanor's psychological breakdown.