Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Word document

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hi. I usually send competition entries by snail-mail but have a query re e-mail submissions.
Once I've ignored the computer's colourful underlining for one-word sentances and all the other stuff computers throw wobblies at, I have a feeling that once e-mailed, all the underlinings etc appear on the recipient's document. Is this the case? And if so, does it mean that the judges will decide it's grammatically incorrect and discard it without reading it?

Comments

• Hi. I usually send competition entries by snail-mail but have a query re e-mail submissions.
    Once I've ignored the computer's colourful underlining for one-word sentances and all the other stuff computers throw wobblies at, I have a feeling that once e-mailed, all the underlinings etc appear on the recipient's document. Is this the case? And if so, does it mean that the judges will decide it's grammatically incorrect and discard it without reading it?
  • Hello, Anna. I don't think Word features like grammar underlining can appear in an email, nor even in a Word attachment. That belongs to your computer. In any case, I wouldn't worry about what Word thinks of one word sentences and other style features that you like. As long as you have edited your document and are happy with the way it reads, forget about Word grammar. Spell checking is another matter; you need to have your spellings right.
  • I don't know the answer, Anna, and because I don't know the answer, I always disable the spell and grammar check when I save the final document. I don't know whether this makes any difference to what comes out at the other end, but if you know your grammar and spelling are correct, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure the editors/judges know that computers don't take fiction writing style into account.
  • I don't think they carry through to the email, Anna: in any case, you can tell the grammar checker to ignore what it doesn't like. It doesn't get it right half the time anyway.
    If in any doubt, try emailing a copy to a friend or partner - doesn't have to be the work in question, just a piece of nonsense. That way you can set your mind at rest.
  • They do carry through if you attach the document. As bertie says you can chose to ignore or even specify the correction tools to suit you if it is personally annoying. However if the recipient has their checkers on when they open it in Word all the red and green lines will show. I'm sure they'll understand though because the people you are sending to use this software every day and know how it works in real life.
  • Yes, they do show through, Tony is correct. I get Word docs with stories in often as I have a writing group and we all send each other our work..
    I THINK if you do all the corrections and turn 'off' the spellcheck then it arrives underlining-less... but I'm not certain about this! It works on my computer...
  • Yes I've received attachments with the underlinings visible when I've opened the Word document.
    Sometimes it is just unusual words and the wretched 'fragment' remark which I'm sure is understood by the judges.
  • Thanks, that's brilliant! I will tell my spellchecker to take the day off and then not worry about the artwork that may appear on the judge's desk. Cheers, m'dears!
  • ST and Liz - I never knew that! The wiggly lines only ever show up at work so I guess my home-check must be turned off permanently and I'll leave it that way. I usually do a spelling and grammar check at the end of each 'work' or chunk if it's chapters.
    Thanks Anna for the question.
  • I didn't realise the grammar and spelling suggestions carried on after you e-mailed a document. I'm horrified. I'll have to turn the thing off if I can find out how to do it. Red in the face from all the stuff I've sent full of wiggles and swquiggles.
  • The alternative is to change format.
    Posting word documents, other than in Mocrosoft word, should escape the gaudy decorative colouring.