Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The three act structure, pacing it against required length for book

pbwpbw
edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
I've hit a snag. I seem to have got quite far advanced in my plot. I have reached the Rug P ulling Moment but only have 41thousand words. I'm writing science fiction and the commercially acceptable minimum is 70 thousand (I believe).
That means I have 30 thousand words left (!) for the Climax and Resolution.

That can't be right. I had one hundred thousand words before the rewrite.

I must have tightened up the saggy middle too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than choose another career which might reveal your competencies).

Comments

• I suppose if Parts One and Two are about 20k each, it will work ok if Part Three is also 20k although I'd rather have it at 15k, but then I am still 15 thou words short for the whole thing.
    I have got another theme which can run through the whole novel, although there is some technical stuff I have to research and check first. It might do the trick.
  • I obviously am not familiar with how many sub-plots you can have within the genre, but is there anything or anyone there that you haven't exploited that could be brought into the equation to help the length issue?
  • I think that's the answer - get another sub plot in there. I don't think there's a limit to sub plots other than 'Don't confuse the reader with too much going on at once.'
  • Query it with a publisher? Publish it yourself?
  • Can you have a rug-pull followed by an apparent resolution, followed by an even bigger rug-pull?
  • pbwpbw
    edited June 2011
    I may well self publish, Jay but I don't want to be slammed by critics for disobeying one of the fundamental requirements, if I can avoid that.

Your idea is interesting Rosalie. It depends how good my imagination is, I guess. I will let you know.

I can't believe it. There I was, luxurating in the knowledge of being able to cut 30k words with impunity, but I've fallen short.

I know why it's happened. I've had to cut out the authorial stuff to tell the story through the characters. Still, at least all the padding has gone.
  • just because the mass majority of Science Fiction books are epic tomes, doesn't mean they all are.
    Peirs Antony did a series, Simon R Green too. That chappy -whatsisname- Isimov! Zelazny, Macaffery...

Rather than padding it out.. go with it!
  • The thing is SL, even at 70 thou words, my sf doesn't come out as an epic tome, mainly because I'm not off-world and I don't have to do all that world building or space travel stuff.
  • Then if you really want to get into the genre specifics, if there is no "space" and no "world building" Your looking at speculative fiction - possibly along the lines of "Children of Men" Post apocolyptic sc-fi? Cyberpunk - as in Bladerunner?
    Science Fiction is the only genre where you can throw the number of words rule out completely. Novellas are just as popular as the great 120,000 word harback doorstops!
  • Are you sure you've structured your arc to suit? If it was a 70k novel then the rug pull shouldn't have come until way after the wordcount you have now. Maybe subplots would be useful but only if they are needed. You don't want to pad it and make the rest of the work feel weak. Is there anyway you could change the structure so you have reverse elements in the middle that strengthen the subplots you already have? If none of this works it may just be a novella.

If you have reached the end of the story and anything else will wither weaken or slow it down I'd reconsider what it is.
  • The SF novel I'm currently writing is also causing me word count problems. First draft came out around 80000, estimated length (without all the stuff filled in). Second draft came out much shorter, around 60K. I was worrying like you, pbw, that it was too short, though I am probably going to self-publish as an eBook so this may not matter. But now, on draft 3, it has suddenly acquired a whole new sub-plot - a big extra rug-pull, and is now heading for about 90K.

I've decided not to worry, but to see what draft 4 brings!
  • [quote=SilverLinings]Your looking at speculative fiction[/quote]

[quote=Rosalie]The SF novel I'm currently writing is also causing me word count problems.[/quote]

Yes SL, I should say, it really does fit the speculative fiction genre much better. It is near-future and firmly based on Planet Earth.

Rosalie, your tale is comforting. I was worried I had done something so unusual as to be badly wrong, but if it happens to other people that's ok.

[quote=SilentTony]If you have reached the end of the story and anything else will wither weaken or slow it down I'd reconsider what it is.[/quote]

and yes, I think I'll do that. I'm pleased with the pace it has at the moment and I don't want to pad it out again with authorial narrative as it had before.

The Climax & Resolution will be 5k - 10k. Any longer and the reader will be going 'enuffalreddy' and get pissed off. If it works well as a novella, that's okay and I am expecting to self publish now, anyway but I do plan to pass it through Cornerstones one more time to make sure I have it tip-top.

I have a technical issue which I can add which will be fun, and it runs through Part Two and into the start of Part Three. That will add about 2k words.

So I reckon I'm looking at 55k if I keep it paced the way it is now. So be it, it's a novella.

The trouble is I've done three twelve hour days on it and I've got too tired with it now, so gonna put it away for tonight. If rest and the subconscious produces another sub plot that would be great.
  • Fascinating stuff, PBW. Thanks for telling us about the trials and tribulations of novel writing.
  • It's heavy spade work, I tell you.
  • It'll be worth it in the end, when you have a book to be proud of.
  • If you haven't already done so, write down the chapter numbers and a brief summary of each one. This is different to setting out a chapter plan. It's designed as a simple at-a-glance guide to see the following:

a) how fluid your chapters are
    b) do they have continuity, do they make sense
    c) any subplots
    d) flashback - excellent for nailing 5 - 7K straight away
    e) Backstory (not to be confused with flashbacks), as these snippets are like little pockets of gems dotted throughout the narrative and feed the reader
    f) Is there enough build up to the end game? If not, change it.

Reading through the summary will help you gain a better understanding of where you are with the whole project. When you read each numbered summary, the story SHOULD make perfect sense. If it doesn't, then you know you need to act on it until it does make absolute perfect sense. And you can update it as you go along.
  • On my novel(la)-in-progress, I've had to write down what happens on each page. I kept having to stop and, when I wanted to start again, I found I'd forgotten what was going on. By the time I'd re-read about 20,000 words, I'd probably run out of steam again! Oh, and writing down what I plan to happen is also a good idea, otherwise I forget that, too. :(
  • Thanks Red. That is really helpful.

I'm not confident with flashback - never used it. Not sure I could justify it. How do you lead into it?

Backstory. I hate backstory. I am now paranoid that editors hate back story so much it's a mistake punishable by Unpublishment. However, I am trying to add it in.

Sub plots...now I'm glad you mentioned those. I have one small sub plot which is good for 2k and will run really well and today I thought of a humdinger of a sub plot - oh wow - and it could go on in the sequel too. But I only thought of it today so I have to work out how it goes in.

I'll apply your method first.
  • pbwpbw
    edited June 2011
    Plot Schmlot. I'm reading through my m/s now a la methode Red and my sf book is the best contemporary sf ever written. It's brilliant. It's economical and pacy. It's lean and mean. The grammar and even - DWIGHT where are you? - the punctuation, are perfect.

I say it again, 'Plot Schmlot'.

Any ole scribbler can give ya quantity. What I am offering here is pure gold, top quality fiction. C'mon you agents! Please do all rush at once.

So there, put THAT in ya plot hole and make a bonfire out of it. :D
  • hehe PBW .. pride in your work I see eh?
  • Gotta be confident...;)
  • Go for it pbw! The life of the writer is one of swings between enormous belief in your own work and dire conviction that it's hopeless (that's my experience, anyway). Enjoy the highs!
  • Having a mini-dip Rosalie, but have decided to ignore it.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Having a mini-dip Rosalie[/quote]

We all need mini-dips before mini-climaxes in the three act structure, so that's a positive.
  • I like reading biogs/autbiogs of famous authors - comforting to see how many dips they had!
  • I had this problem with my crime novel, so my rug pulling moment I ssuddenly turned into a complete red hearing and then completed 20,000 building up a new climax. I was not happy about doing it however once i did i love dthe new ending
  • I love this thread. :)

Red - I'm copying and pasting your post. Don't ask me why - I've no intention of writing a novel...
  • [quote=claudia]Red - I'm copying and pasting your post. Don't ask me why - I've no intention of writing a novel... [/quote]

You never know Claudia!
  • This thread is so interesting. I may well schedule a rug pulling session in my next class!
  • pbwpbw
    edited June 2011
    Hey! I'm chuffed that you all like the thread. Now...whilst I was down at my sister's I took the trusty laptop with me and I carried on writing and I have written the climax which is just great, and there's the resolution to do now and it's looking like 50 thousand words.

Howwwwweeeeeeeverrrr, I had a humdinger of an idea for another layer of plot to widen the scope. Up till now I had two scopes: I had the domain of the protagonists, running between their work and home and the impact of their workplaces on them , so two workplaces one small company, one big company. All pretty straightforward, but now I've had the idea in which one of the protagonists discovers what the company is REALLY doing in the big bad world, so our guys will have to act to SAVE THE PLANET. Actually not all of it, but they have to act to save a big chunk of society. If I can weave that in it will make the whole story much more exciting.

The reason for this is I'm reading "Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass (Google it or get it from Amazon) which has given me more than one epiphany moment, so I have been having a massive rethink. Donald Maass is my AOYD (for those of you not familiar - Agent of My Dreams) but tragically I've blown it with him because I have already submitted to them in a rush of naive debut-novelist enthusiasm before I realised my work was not ready. I have read this book several times already, and been using it to raise the standard of my work but every time I go back to it, I find another angle to exploit.

My challenge now is to shape my work (which is fundamentally sound) into a finished work which meets his standards.
    Does anybody know, if, in a year's time, I could approach them again, with a completely rewritten work, if I owned up that I had submitted an early draft that was not ready? Is that allowed?

Excuse me whilst I go and open a new document 'Post-Edit One, Rewrite Three, Version1' (yes, really).
  • Go for it. I doubt they would remember your original submission, and this is now a very different story.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter] "Writing the Breakout Novel" by Donald Maass (Google it or get it from Amazon) which has given me more than one epiphany moment[/quote]

It did they same to me when I read it PB. One of the best nuts and bolts 'How To' books.