Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers' & Artists Yearbook 2011 v's Writer's Handbook 2011

edited June 2011 in - Resources
Hi,

Are the Writers' & Artists Yearbook 2011 and the Writer's Handbook 2011 generally the same or do they have different contacts?

Thanks,

Nicola

Comments

• I know that I've found some things in earlier WAY that was not in that same year's WH.
    The big difference is in the non listing sections.
  • Hi, Nicola. Why not introduce yourself on a new thread under Welcome Writers?

I have a feeling Writers' & Artists' try to weed out vanity publishing.
  • Thanks Jay - sorry, I snuck in - a little shy! Will introduce myself :0)
  • Hello Nicolauk

Shouldn't the 2012 Edition be out now? It usually comes out in June. I bought the 2011 edition this time last year.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Shouldn't the 2012 Edition be out now? It usually comes out in June. I bought the 2011 edition this time last year.[/quote]

Really? Thanks for the pointer, paperbackwriter - I need to be up to date.
  • I have WAY at the moment, but friends usually end up buying me both anyway. I find WAY have more to offer, on the whole.
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=Nicolauk]Shouldn't the 2012 Edition be out now? It usually comes out in June. [/quote]

Yes I think so, and when it appears, you might as well chuck 2011 in the bin: one is expected to keep up at a professional level. For those who want writing as a career, that is.

Edited: Mind you, most outlets for our writing have websites which show submission guidelines online.
  • You'll also find useful websites on the sticky thread entitled ... er ...

Useful websites
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]You'll also find useful websites on the sticky thread entitled ... er ...

Useful websites[/quote]

Usefully titled sticky thread :0)
  • There's a thread somewhere about smileys.

:) = colon followed immediately by a bracket.
  • edited June 2011
    Or are you using an odd computer?
  • Colon filled with pain after too much Curry = :-(
  • I like to have the latest Writer's and Artists Yearbook with every intention of proactive in my writing. Unfortunately each year I rarely use it and never write as much as intended :-(

Should I buy the new one and make a resolution???
  • [quote=Emma B]Should I buy the new one and make a resolution???[/quote]

Emma, set a goal you know you can stick to. Maybe find 3-5 publishers and contact them to get yourself started.
  • I stopped buying either as I didn't use them anywhere near enough to justify the cost - now I trot to my library and get the info I need FREE :D. I think in my early writing days I liked to see them on my shelf as if that were proof that yeah I AM a writer...now I accept that to be a writer you just need to write. Note to self: get on with it!
  • I usually by WAY but not every year admittedly. and I never use them as much as I should. maybe I should joim EmmaB in setting a target??
  • [quote=ttofee]maybe I should joim EmmaB in setting a target??[/quote]

Go for it, ttofee - and keep us updated on how it goes :)
  • The 2012 edition is available from 30 June according to Amazon. Might have to buy it ...
  • pbwpbw
    edited June 2011
    Yes indeed, ttofee. I found it this morning. They're doing a good price. I've pre-ordered mine. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writers-Artists-Yearbook-2012/dp/1408135809/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308050079&sr=1-1
  • I don't know what genre you write in but there is a childrens WAY as well! I'm going to trot off and get mine.
  • My WAY has arrved! Going to have a look through it - needing inspiration this week as everything else seems to have become so much more interesting than writing - even ironing!