Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Are you an illustrator hoping to be discovered?

edited June 2011 in - Resources
I told you about the writers competition now for the illustrators!

Undiscovered Voices is an anthology of excerpts from unpublished children’s fiction novels, from the members of The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators British Isles. It is judged by a panel of industry professionals, produced free of charge by volunteers, with the financial support of Working Partners. The printed anthology is sent to children’s book agents and editors in the hopes of getting these undiscovered voices discovered.

From the two previous anthologies in 2008 and 2010, thirteen of the twenty-four selected authors are now under contract to be published or are published and have been nominated for and won an amazing array of literary prizes: including winning the Bedfordshire Children's Book of the Year, being shortlisted for 11 regional awards, the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and the Branford Boase Award. Two titles were shortlisted for Blue Peter awards and one title long-listed for the Carnegie Medal!

The third edition of the project, Undiscovered Voices 2012, is open to illustrators! As well as the fiction extracts, this edition of the anthology will contain a selection of SCBWI-BI's top untapped older fiction illustrator talent. The deadline for submission is 20 August 2011.

The selected authors and illustrators will be informed in October 2011, and attend the anthology launch party with agents, editors and art directors in February 2012. Selected authors will be invited to attend a “Getting Discovered” seminar in January 2012.

Further details can be found here -

http://undiscoveredvoices.com/index.php

Comments

• It's a brilliant idea to mention this on tb, Tracy. This is a really good opportunity for children's writers/illustrators. It's the first year that it's been for illustrators aswell. To enter you have to be previously unpublished. If anyone gives it a go: good luck ;)
  • Ah ha, I have an illustrator friend looking for a chance to showcase their work. Thanks for this, Tracey! I will pass it on.
  • Ah, maybe not. He's completely broke and to join this you have to be a member of SCBWI (£53 to join). Bugger!
  • BR - if he can scrape the money together SCBWI is a good organisation to join for especially for meeting like-minded people.
  • I was thrilled to see this and rushed to have a look at their website. You're right Tracy it looks like a useful organisation to join. Some good stuff going on. Unfortunately, the deadline for writers has already passed for the anthology, but, they do have lots of opps for grants and awards which looks interesting. Lots of deadlines missed here too, but things to think on about. :o)
  • I'll have a word, Tracy but I think money is a bit too tight at the moment.

I do know he's willing to do illustration and design for books though if anyone is interested :p
  • BR - If he's on facebook send him over to the SCBWI-BI facebook page.

I'm really broke too but SCBWI subscription is the one thing I make sure I spend money on because it's great for networking as well as various opportunities.

Moirasara - there are all sorts of things for children's and YA writers, and illustrators, to get involved in. Come find me if you join. :)
  • Wish I had money :(