Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I am a bit confused-confectionary or confectionery?

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
I saw a sweet shop with sign 'confectionary' and then one spelt 'ery'
which is it please?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Chambers shows both, but the 'ery' seems to be the sweet shop.
  • Ok thanks. When is the one with 'a' used?
  • As far as I'm aware 'confectionary' is never used.

A confectioner makes confectionery, and that's all.
  • PBW, confectionAry is in the dictionary. It may just be something that's made.
  • So it is Jay. Maybe it just isn't in common use so much these days.
  • confectionary
    c.1600 (n.) "confection maker," also "confection maker's shop," from confection. As an adj., from 1660s.

confectionery
    1540s, "things made or sold by a confectioner," from confection + -ery. Of architectural ornamentation, from 1861.

Different from the rule for

stationary
    1426, in relation to planetary motions, from L. stationarius, in classical L., "of a military station," from station

and

stationery
    1727, from stationery wares (c.1680) "articles sold by a stationer," from stationer "seller of books and paper," 1311, from M.L. stationarius "stationary seller," from L. stationem (nom. statio) "station" (see station). Roving peddlers were more common in the Middle Ages;

I THINK I understand ... ...

OK, competition time :

Who can make the best sentence using all four words ?

:)
  • confection sounds a bit too much like infection to me

urgh, what allergies can you suffer from, from eating toooo much confectioner, er, er, ar - y?
  • or injection?
  • edited June 2011
    Alice skipped past her lover the confectionary who was busy filling in tax stationery about the amount of confectionery he'd sold while the economy had been stationary, so she decided to kiss the butcher instead.
  • I'm still confused
  • hairy confectionary

I always thought it was confectionery.

Maybe it's one of those things in life that doesn't-really-matter?