Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Number of locations in a short story

edited June 2011 in - Writing Problems
I've got a couple of short stories of 2,000 words and each one has about four locations where the story unfolds. Is that too many for a short story?

Comments

• If it works without jarring or slowing the pace or confusing the reader then no. However it does seem like too many. I prefer short stories that have two and better if one location. This isn't to say that they cannot be several different angles of location though. For instance if you have four characters all set in different hotel rooms in different European capitals then it takes four set ups, four unique descriptions and four different tones of setting.

If you have four characters all in separate hotels rooms in Paris or London though there is a consistency. if you can place your characters in many locations and keep it flowing and maintain the forward motion of the story without harming the pace then go for it.
  • For the story to be told properly I need all those locations, but saw some advice on the net saying that short stories should be told using one or two locations.
  • I got told to take two of the three locations out of a short story I did on a college course once. I did it and it made it weaker, I submitted both versions to a local paper and they took the ran the original one with the three locations. So if what you write feels right and once edited still reads well go with it and see.
  • If the story works, it works. Forget the so-called rules.
    I was once told that I couldn't write a short story with two points of view - absolute rubbish.
    As others have said - write what feels right!
  • Recently I read an article about screenwriting where someone was saying that the reason so many screenplays get rejected is because they stick to rules like the three act structure. The best advice seems to be what you've all said, to write what feels right and works for the story.
  • yaaa go furrit Dene
  • It may just be that it works for that story. Of course a lot will depend on the intended market too.
  • You have to be a damn good writer to pull off so many locations, but if you feel confident doing that, then see if it works. However, I would advise writers try to stick to at least one of the three Greek Unities within short story telling, in this case it would be the Unity of Action. That means the action usually takes place in one location, two at most.
  • Generally it's best to have just one or two, but there are exceptions. Do what works best for that particular story.
  • [quote=Red]You have to be a damn good writer to pull off so many locations, but if you feel confident doing that, then see if it works.[/quote]

I wouldn't class myself as a good writer. One of my short stories starts in a house, then shifts scene to a place of work (briefly), then a GP surgery, then a library, and finally back to the house. That works for me, and I couldn't think of how to change it to only use two of those locations. Of course, the big test will be if I can get a magazine or website to buy it (it was accepted in a non-paying Static Movement anthology but I recently withdrew it because the anthology had no acceptances for several months).