Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Indents

edited July 2011 in - Writing Problems
Ok, this is where I am.....

I've got a 72,000 word novel ready to send off, all left-aligned. it's been pointed out to me that I need to indent the start of each paragraph 5 spaces. Don't use 'tab' I've been told.

How do I do this without manually tapping the space bar 5 times at the start of each paragraph and when the dialogue is changing every line or so?

Hope it's possible, or I could be here some time........ (Aaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!)

Comments

• You can change the size of the tab spacing, Anna.

Try this: http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/mw/s5p1.html
  • If you are using the newer version of MS Word, you can change the settings.
    It is possible to have it done automatically.
  • And does this mean you have an extra space between paragraphs? Cos the convention is that you don't do that. Sorry if that's more bad news for you.
  • Thanks all.

Have changed the setting and am making faster progress than I dared imagine I would.

At least I won't be making that mistake again.....! ;)
  • So glad I found this thread. Can someone just confirm exactly what the indent length for a new paragraph in fiction is please? Someone had told me 0.3cm but it doesn't look right. Have you found 5 spaces gives you a sufficiently deep indent, Anna?
  • I just right click on the text and in the paragraph settings you can specify first line indent. I just go with the measurement Word comes up with. Then if you right click on the style you are using (eg Normal) and choose Update Style to Match Selection, the rest of your text will follow suite.
  • I always thought 1/2 inch was standard for indents, so that's...1.27cm.
  • So how many spaces does 1.27cm equate to?
  • That's great guys. The Word default is 1.27cm (and now I know it's half an inch), and as you say, you can set your 'first line' indent to that in the settings for 'Paragraph'. I'm not sure how many spaces, Carol, but I think you could count them out by looking at the ruler at the top of the document page on screen, at the horizontal ruler.
  • I'll check that out when I open a document next time.
    (I vaguely remember one magazine that specifically said in it's guidelines not to use tabs.)
  • 12 spaces on Times New Roman size 12.
  • I have a feeling that my right thumb has been trained to do a certain number of touches! Murder for My Weekly who insist on NO indentations!

Does anyone know why can't you use 'tab' if it's set to the right number?
  • When following instructions it's probably a good thing to have a think of where these instructions come from, and why they exist. Yes, you can use five spaces - if you are using a typewriter!

Wordprocessors contain fixed-width fonts, proportionally spaced fonts, widow-orphan control, and justification settings. Five spaces doesn't mean what you think it means to to wordprocessor - do not do it.

First Paragraph of a new chapter (MS Word); [Format], [Paragraph], Indentation -0, Special -(none).
    Subsequent Paragraphs; [Format], [Paragraph], Indentation, -0, Special - (First line).

Do not use spaces. Do not use tabs.
  • i usually use 0.5cm indent because it looks neater but one of my tutors told me to indent my work...so obviously that wasn't enough..i don't like using 1.27 because it looks too big a space! So I just indented to 1cm! :D

on new MS Word you go to the paragraph settings and there is an option for first line indent. Also there is a tick box at the bottom of that window saying do not leavce a space after paragraphs... tick that and you'll be fine... then click default and you have your default for every document. But you'll need to retick the paragraph space one everytime!!
  • I do exactly the same as you, Nutmeg.
  • PBW - have been using 4 spaces. Seems okay.

Has been explained to me that indents are needed mainly because it's difficult to tell when a page finishes with a full stop, whether the top of the next page is a new paragraph or not.

Have also read that hyphens cause problems during typesetting and should therefore not be used.

Complicated, innit?
  • [quote=ceka]Does anyone know why can't you use 'tab' if it's set to the right number? [/quote]
    I have always assumed that is probably do with how they edit for their particular system.
  • You'd think a computer/word processor would be easier than a typewriter!
  • [quote=ceka]Does anyone know why can't you use 'tab' if it's set to the right number? [/quote]

It's do with how the 'instruction' is handled and translated by different software.

A TAB instruction means: Start this text at the first TAB point (look in the style data to find out where the first TAB point is) Different stylesheets may specify different TAB spaces, when text is pasted into another document it all becomes a mess.

A 'FIRST LINE INDENT' instruction translates better: If [new line after C/R, start this lime 12.7mm from the L/H margin].

I'm quite sure you've imported and exported text and it's ended up a mess.
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Someone had told me 0.3cm but it doesn't look right.[/quote]

I always use 0.5cm which looks about right.
  • Somebody please tell me what is the correct width of the left hand margin for a standard manuscript.

Is it okay to go by the standard Microsoft Word (i.e. default) setting, which I believe is 2.54 cm (one inch).

Am I right?