Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

(Research) Writing Magazines

edited August 2011 in - Resources
I would love it if I could get some general feedback about writing magazines.
What do you look for in a writing magazine?
What are your favourite sections and what would you skip?
Would you be interested in a downloadable electronic magazine?
How much would you be prepared to pay?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Comments

• I used to subscribe to WM but found it started getting repetetive. I buy it on an ad hoc basis now if I find something interesting on the contents page.

I've bought WF on the odd occasion and found it quite different to WM. Refreshing, for a change.

I'm most interested in interviews with authors/agents/publishers. I also like themed competitions as opposed to open ones, which gives WM the edge, as far as I'm concerned.

Not interested in downloading - there's loads of stuff already on the net and I tend to dip into websites and fly off as soon as I've found what I was looking for.

Wouldn't want to pay more than I pay for WM.
  • In a writing magazine I look for well-written articles on a range of subjects, so not just things about writing itself but also stuff about the publishing industry, writing a synopsis or author bio, published's authors' experiences with making a career out of their writing etc. I agree with Anna that interviews with agents and publishers are very helpful. Giving readers of the magazine a chance to have their success stories published would also be quite motivating, plus giving them some publicity.

I personally would be less likely to want to pay for an online magazine. I'm not quite sure why, but when I pay money for something, I want it to be something physical. There are too many free e-magazines, so if I wanted to read one online, I'd probably end up reading those.

I don't think I'd pay more than I do for WM. If I did, it wouldn't be something I bought every issue of unless it was REALLY good.

Hope that helps :)
  • What do people think about a £1.99 quarterly kindle magazine or similar?
  • What do I look for in a writing mag?

A new idea, on a "not previously written about" subject and I am still looking.

I don't have a kindle so I don't think anything about it.
  • Would you be able to buy your e-mag one issue at a time, or would you have to subscribe? You'd have to be able to dip inside, I suppose, as though browsing in the newsagernts'. I don't own a kindle (nasty luddite that I am) so wouldn't be interested in that, but as a lurker in a foreign land and so unable to readily browse through English mags, maybe something online would be handy.
  • I still haven't embraced Kindle, but I know I'm behind there. Perhaps it would be wise to also incorporate into your research some numbers about how many readers of writing mags have a 'Kindle'.
  • I would skip everything on poetry, writing for children and author profiles. Don't enjoy members news - it does show that people succeed in this difficult field but it doesn't get me any further forward as a writer. I prefer the 'how to..' stuff, 'under the microscope', bullet points, computer tips, markets, competitions - and reading the winners/shortlisted. I like the information on computers, how to set up websites, how to self-publish. In short, I want to LEARN something, or be made to think in a different way, be inspired.
    The current magazines are priced at my top end. Because they cover every genre and area of writing they are more useful to the beginner than the jaded writer battling on a few years in. I haven't got a kindle by the way. For specifics, i.e. how to write crime fiction, I would borrow a library book rather than wait for a magazine to cover it.
  • I like variety in writing magazines, competitions, markets of course. But I like articles that teach me or tell me something new, as Doodly says, I want learn...
    I prefer one in depth interview rather than a few interviews in a magazine.
    As writing and publishing are changing I'd like a magazine to reflect that without losing the core identity.
  • I too want to learn. I'd also enjoy something about how to make your website interesting, where to get a counter and how to install it, that sort of thing, but written for an idiot. I'd also prefer poetry, a letters page (practically my favourite page always) and stuff on childen's! Also WAY more on factual writing.

The trouble with you publishing it on your own is that it would be in danger of only having your opinion. There would be no board, no editors apart from you etc.

I have sometimes thought that Writing Magazine has fallen into that mould- the writers there see to have a job for life and also seem to be ancient. Nothing wrong with that, I'm ancient myself and wouldn't like to be ousted on the age front- but after say, 2 years or so, surely virtually everything you have to say has to have been said?

I'd have thought a better swoosh through some new contributors would be in order to keep things fresh, because I've lost count of the number of people on this forum who have stopped buying it because it is so samey.

How would you pay contributors if you are selling it for 1.99 copy? Because I for one don't agree with the editor and not the contributors being paid. in fact I don't agree with anyone not being paid for writing, if they are trying to be a professional writer.
  • [quote=Liz!]after say, 2 years or so, surely virtually everything you have to say has to have been said? [/quote]

Ah, but that's the key - there are new writers all the time, so some topics demand a repeat.

Ideally a magazine should cater for all with defined topics for all levels.

An experienced writer won't be interested in formatting a manuscript, but a newbie will be.

A newbie won't be interested (yet!) in marketing their book, but might read about it and be grateful it's a repeated topic when they've signed the deal a year or two later (that's how long it takes, isn't it?!).
  • You guys do realise that you can access kindle stuff without having a kindle, right? You can install the kindle program on your computer and read them on there. So I think a kindle emagazine would be a great way to publish it.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Ah, but that's the key - there are new writers all the time, so some topics demand a repeat. [/quote]

Yep, that is true. But it would be interesting to new readers AND old readers perhaps if it was given by a new voice, with a different, but just as informational, slant? I don't avoid reading stuff I know about. Stuff changes, fashions come and go... opinion changes as to what is good and what is not...
  • I read writers mags for market info. That to me is the most important thing. I perfer paper because I can scribble notes and highlight things that interest me.
  • [quote=femaleking]You guys do realise that you can access kindle stuff without having a kindle, right?[/quote]

That's not the way I choose to read, much prefer to feel the pages.
  • Me too, BB. I was just concerned that some of the people posting 'I don't have a kindle so that doesn't apply to me' might not realise that the kindle market is indeed accessible to them.
  • edited August 2011
    Well yes it's accessible, but reading books on a computer screen is much harder and more tiring unless it is a very short book...
  • Still, if Emma's planning to release it as an ezine anyway, there's no reason why kindle is any worse than any other way of distributing it.
  • I like reading the readers letters, the winning stories and poems from comps, anything instructional in a new way (but I'm not very technical so the computer stuff goes over my head), news about new and changing markets and opportunities. Not into author interviews unless it's a genre or author I really enjoy, and I have no interest in screenwriting. I agree that the regular slots have been written by the same people for years - especially poetry. New faces, new blood, new ideas always welcome.
  • I'd agree with Liz. There does seem to be a problem with things becoming stale. If you were doing this on a Kindle/iPad etc then you could easily have guest editors who could commission from their circle of writing friends and colleagues.

Another good aspect of the digital formats is they can be updated. One thing that is keeping papers alive right now is their willingness to open up the comments. So instead of having simple letters pages you cold have interactive comments sections about features and news. You can't get that with paper magazines so it would be a USP for this format.
  • ah-ha! no I didn't know that femaleking - I'm obviously not paying attention (too busy trying to work out video recorders...!! ;D
  • I like news about potential markets & competitions and tips that I can actually use rather than interviews with other writers.
    I'm not really into electronic magazines - I prefer a hard-copy.
  • I like news about potential markets and competitions, I especially like free-to-enter competition info.
  • Thanks you have been very helpful.

The current plan is to do a quarterly e-magazine that would be available online, via Kindle, and via iTunes. The price would be perhaps £1.99 which is inline with other e-magazines, or possibly a bit more as it is quarterly so would most likely have higher content. I need to do more research on the pricing.

I will be seeking contributors for all aspects of the magazine. Payment would probably have to be on a commission basis (which would essentially by nil in the early stages and yes I hate this too) until I can get advertising revenue. At the minute all this sounds very ambitious but I think with the right market-research, content and marketing it could work.

Content is going to be based on what the majority of the ideal readership want. I would like it to be part writing magazine, part original short fiction and poetry .

Please let me know your thoughts as you are the target audience.

Thanks so much
  • I'm afraid I'm one of the prefer-a-print-copy brigade, Emma, especially if I'm paying for it.
    There are already good free ezines on writing etc, so you are going to need a special hook to get people to pay for it. And if you are unable to pay contributors, how are you going to get known, respected people to contribute?

I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I suspect that this is going to take a lot of your time and I think you need to be very clear in advance what you are going to offer that is different from, or better than, what is already available free in order to attract paying customers.
  • Perhaps an online forum bit?

Or perhaps if the contributers could contribute 'live' and as they write each bit readers could get the chance to ask and the next bit could be in answer to the most asked questions?
  • [quote=Emma B]I would like it to be part writing magazine, part original short fiction and poetry .[/quote]

What does this mean, Emma?

I think you're saying you want part of it to be articles on writing - written by who, freelancers or people on your team?

And I think you're saying part of it to be filled with stories and poetry, sent in from anyone and everyone, is that right?
  • [quote=dora]sent in from anyone and everyone, is that right? [/quote]

Surely not ANYONE. Or it will be dreadful.
  • Well what I meant was, anyone could send stuff in, doesn't mean it would actually ALL be published.

Obviously, would have to leave it up to editor's discretion, after all, they have to do summat other than just turn up for work, don't they?
  • Dora it would be part articles and part fiction and poetry 'showcase'.

Contributions would be welcome from ANYONE but it would be an editorial decision as to what was suitable.

The idea is that the magazine would stem from a website where there would be forums, free articles and some showcasing of work.
  • Emma, we've just come back from a holiday in Menorca. We saw one person reading from a 'tablet' there; and a handful using tablets at the airport or on the plane. None was a Kindle.
  • They have only recently added Germany to the Kindle list, Jay, so it's not surprising.
  • I suppose most of the holidaymakers were Italian, so I don't know whether they'd be able to get Kindles yet.
  • I have been subscribing to 'writers' forum' for about two years now. I like the humour of the people who write the articles. There is a story competition and the judge tells you why they picked the story. I like the guru and ideas store.
    i just liked tips and advice. I prefer that magazine to 'writing magazine' which just seems packed full of articles I don't read. Long how-to I guess, while 'writers' forum' articles are like reading a letter from a friend.
    I skip through sections that don't interest me the young writers bit and the poetry bit. They have writing exercies in there which are good.

It's a shame they changed the prompts for the ideas though. I also like the author interviews.
    I used to subscribe too writers digest from american as a child and liked the pages of writing prompts and constant advice but nothing beats writers' forum.
    I prefer to read a carbon copy of a magazine I'm not a fan or reading things online. I don't even use my laptop to write, I can't type well at all I make a lot of mistakes and don't use punctuation. My brain thinks quicker than I can type. So I woudln't be interested in a downloadable magazine.