Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing under the influence.

2»

Comments

• I buy Happy Eggs if I have managed to sell as house that week. I agree with making sure the eggs have come from free range if possible. But you know that's up to the buyer and not everybody is so concerned so they may not buy free range but they exercise free choice.
  • Hmmm...eggs? Hadn't thought about that one!
  • I totally disagree that it should be up to the buyer! Eggs that result from misery, pain, death and agony should not exist for anyone to have a choice in whether to buy them.

We have not been put on this earth so that we can mistreat animals for our own purposes - or indeed people. Humanity is something that has to be helped along in some, and I believe this is one of those areas! Because it's easy to look the other way.
  • I only ever buy free range eggs.
  • Again that's not what I said Liz. I said it's up to the buyer because they are available. If you want to ban them then fine start a petition to only have free range eggs. While you're at it make sure you ban meat too. Then next stop fags and booze because they cause a lot of misery also. It could end up being a very long list.
  • 'are we back to the 'nanny state' again, LOL?
  • I've downed a few tonight.

And you know what?

Naughty Nanas rule okay?

Under t'inflewince? Nah, not me?
  • If they all looked like Mary Poppins I say bring on the nanny state.
  • chim chimeneeeeeeeeeeeeeee and all that like
  • Yes, I always choose free range eggs too.
  • I'm delighted that my thread has provoked such a response! Fascinating how we've got onto free range eggs & Aldi's bargain veg!
  • [quote=cath]OH dear dear. I'm so glad you're not one of my patients, Red. LOL. [/quote]

Thankfully I'm not. I don't do being a patient.

[quote=Liz!]Well... I'd have to disagree to SOME extent. They are guidelines, and certainly not 'made up' by the Gvt, they are the culmination of scientists' studies. And of course, scientists' studies do disagree. But no decision on evidence is made actually until about 10 years after what most know is the right route to take. In fact the guidelines when brought in can be out of date.[/quote]

Guidelines they may be, but useless nonetheless. And out of date doesn’t help, as you point out. Obviously as a collective, we can’t be trusted to make our own decisions about life. The binge drinking culture we have created is down to lack of common sense. Stupid people breed more stupid people – those not taught to learn about alcohol or respect it. You can raise prices of alcohol until it finally becomes a black market commodity but the Government will never eradicate misuse of alcohol by the ‘binge fraternity.’ I still say common sense goes a long way.

[quote=Liz!]They are guidelines, and certainly not 'made up' by the Gvt[/quote]

You have misquoted me. I never said anything was ‘made up’.
  • [quote=Andrew H]Fascinating how we've got onto free range eggs [/quote]

"lobs an egg at AndrewH, then runs away"
  • edited August 2011
    [quote=Red] You can raise prices of alcohol until it finally becomes a black market commodity but the Government will never eradicate misuse of alcohol by the ‘binge fraternity.’[/quote]
    Agree.

If the government invested more in local community facilities maybe people would have something to take pride in and wouldn't go out and get lashed. It's all very well saying give the power back to the community but there are no grants available either so how are the public supposed to do that? It's an insult to all the voluntary groups who've worked hard for years. The local councils have had their funding slashed too.

We're crap in this country at investing in our young people (and our older people too, for that matter) - it's shameful.

Taxing the price of alcohol is simply a way to make money out of a problem rather than address it.
  • I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to keep all the community groups and funding etc than clear up and rebuild communities such as Tottenham.
  • What happened in Tottenham has nothing to do with this and has been brewing for a while. Don't be surprised it other cities end up in flames.

Recession, cuts, riots and capital punishment. It's like the Tories own version of I Love the 1980's.
  • Ooh I remember those riots, not that I was there, in the midst of all or anything although I was in one of the hotspots.

Those poor famlies in Tottenham who lost their homes, just terrible.

Pleased to announced I am not under the influence today.
  • I don't do anything under the influence now. Except to relax and watch TV sometimes with the rubbish that's on you need a drink or two or three to watch it .I like to know and remember what I have done and said these days. Anyway as I do all the driving now, when I/ we go out I will not drink and drive( one of my pet hates that) Don`t get me wrong I like and enjoy a few glasses of wine but in moderation, as I cant seem to handle it and always want to go to sleep.
    I buy free range eggs as well.
  • [quote=SilentTony]What happened in Tottenham has nothing to do with this[/quote]

This what?
  • [quote=Jennymf]I like to know and remember what I have done and said these days[/quote]

I drink but never so much that I can't remember what I've done. I don't see the point.

If you had a good time wouldn't you want to remember it? And if you had a bad time then there are cheaper and safer ways to go about it.
  • [quote=Jennymf]Don`t get me wrong I like and enjoy a few glasses of wine but in moderation, as I cant seem to handle it and always want to go to sleep.
    I buy free range eggs as well. [/quote]

You buy free range eggs at the same time as going to sleep?
    Or at the same time as enjoying a few glasses of wine?

Oooer Jennymmmmmmmmmph
  • Well I could try Dora sleepwalking around the super market sounds good to me, mind you I am probably asleep most of the time walking around Asda`s (other supermarkets are available).
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I was once told to never drink when you write, but write as if you have.

Very often I get that wrong. [/quote]

Oh I love that.

I'm sure I have written under the influence, but I can't actually remember...

Sometimes I come down in the morning and I think Rumpelstiltskin's literary cousin has been in...
  • Nobody succumbed recently?

Ooh what a goody goody two shoes lot we all are these days.