Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Epublising a paperback?

Hi all,
I know I haven't been active on here for some time but have been reading all the news and gossip. Congratulations to all of you for such hard work on your books, puts me quite to shame!

My query is this - I had a book (non-fic) published a few years back in paperback through a regular publisher (albeit a small one).

Can I now publish it myself through Smashwords for Kindle/Sony reader etc? Would I need to tell them it's a duplicate e-copy of a published book and would I need permission from my publisher?

Many thanks all.

Comments

• It might be worth looking at this thread:

Kindle Direct, Smashwords and publishing information

It was done a couple of months? ago, so some things may have changed.

I think Amazon refuses re-prints; while Smashwords will accept things THEY'VE published before. Do double-check, though.
  • You need to check your publishing contract to see what rights were agreed with your publisher- presumably a standard type.
  • Maybe it's only Kindle Singles where Amazon won't do re-prints.
  • Yes Jay, I know they won't accept re-prints on Singles.
  • edited August 2011
    For more about Kindle, see Q&A on page 73 of September 2011’s Writing Magazine (it says November 2010's magazine featured a detailed guide to publishing on the Kindle); and “How I sold 7,000 ebooks in a day” on pages 20 and 21 of September 2011’s Writing Magazine (the author’s three books were previously available as free pdf downloads from his site).
  • Also worth reading "How to sell 1m ebooks" on pages 1 and 2 of September 2011's Writers' News (inside Writing Magazine).