Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

DIVERSITY MATTERS: ‘We’re Here, We’re Queer’ by James Dawson

edited September 2011 in - Resources
James Dawson is a full-time writer of YA fiction and lives in London.

'When I was fifteen, I thought I was so alone. I read and read and read, but didn’t read about anyone else like me. No-one.'

'No-one at Orion, or my lovely agent, ever raised concerns about the three LGBTQC characters in my novel HOLLOW PIKE. I, however, was ready for opposition and had prepared my defence. At the editing stage, editors edit, but I would have died to protect the somewhat complex orientations of Kitty, Jack and Delilah.'

http://talltalesandshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/09/diversity-matters-were-here-were-queer.html

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Thanks, Tracy. Great post and a very important debate. I've added a comment to your blog.

PS Though my comment doesn't seem to have appeared yet.
  • My friend in the USA (although she's here in Bath at the minute) has a LGB YA book out in the states, and it is up for two awards. It's called 'Of All the Stupid Tings' by Alexandra Diaz.
  • [quote=Rosalie]PS Though my comment doesn't seem to have appeared yet.
    [/quote]

I've just checked - I think your comment's disappeared into the ether I can't see it or find it. :(
  • edited September 2011
    I'll try again...

It seems to have appeared now. Maybe it was my fault and I never actually submitted it! :)
  • Thanks Rosalie - I do appreciate it when people take the time to comment. :)
    I'm off to add something to the comments section in response to a point you've raised.