Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Donkey Poem Competition

edited October 2011 in - Resources
Picked this up in Waterstone's, Weston-super-Mare yesterday....

"Write a poem about a donkey.

Closing date Monday 31st October
Open to all ages, all styles including limericks. Include your name, age and phone number.
The poem our panel of booksellers enjoys the most will win a £30 Waterstone's Gift Card.

Waterstone's Poetry Competition, Unit 21/23 The Sovereign Centre, High Street, WSM, BS23 1HL"

Comments

• Donkey?

Hmm, now what on earth does that bring to my mind .....
  • Thanks for the heads-up, Anna, although I'm quite sure - as usual - there will be a little clause in there somewhere that precludes anyone other than a UK citizen from entering. That will be me out of the way. Besides, I don't think we have a Waterstones in Oz so even if miracles did happen and I was fortunate enough to make it to the top of the heap, I wouldn't be able to use the prize anyway. Thanks again, though. I've no doubt there will be plenty of interest here from other TB members.
  • Oh, IG, you'd be good at this! You could always send an entry. And then you could look at Waterstone's online and we could send you the book taking off the postage. Easy! If you have a good donkey idea. Which I suspect you do.

I spent some of yesterday writing a limerick but didn't get very far.
  • Oh dear, can't resist the temptation!

There once was a girl of Madras
    Who had the most beautiful ass.
    Not rounded and pink
    as you probably think,
    it was grey, had long ears and ate grass.
  • thats brill :)
  • Liz, the rules did say UK only.
  • I wanna go at that one!
  • PS Eddisbury I LOVE that, dare you to send it!
  • Hear, hear! (Or 'ear, 'ear!)
  • [quote=Carol]Liz, the rules did say UK only.[/quote]

Hmmm...thought as much. :rolleyes:
  • That's brilliant, Edd, you've got to send it!
  • [quote=shellw]thats brill [/quote]

OMG - is that really YOU shell?

is you back is whizzz you?

where yer bin?
  • Glad you like it folks. Can't submit it though - it's
    not original. Words:Trad :)
  • Send it in Edd
  • edited October 2011
    You might think we donkeys, must lead a carefree life
    we don't complain, and rarely try, to cause our owners' strife
    But we have a little problem with our coats of stiff, coarse hair
    I guess that only goes to prove, we ALL have our cross to bear

:)
  • I was doing OK with mine until I realised donkey and monkey don't actually rhyme.
  • Hehehe. How's about honky/wonky/plonky/bonky...? Hmmm, on second thoughts...... :D
  • A wonky donkey PM? ;)
  • Wouldn't be any more wonky than my poetry!
  • edited October 2011
    There once was a donkey called Jim,
    Who took giving rides on the chin,
    But he looked askance,
    As the fat man advanced,
    And prayed, "God, if you're up there, not him!"

Edit: Not exactly PC, I know! It was the first thing thing that came to mind after reading this thread. What does that say about me? =P
  • I used to call my mate, "Donkey"; someone once asked him why, and he told her: "Eeee-awww...eeee-awww....eeee-awwwwlways calls me donkey - dunno why..."
  • [quote=Dissidence]What does that say about me[/quote]

Possibly that you care very much for our likkle, cuggly wonkey donkeys?
  • [quote=B L Zebub]dunno why..." [/quote]

It'll forever be a mystery, BL.
  • Now I have just written a load of old rubbish about a donkey. But when I looked at the info Anna, it says, AGE. Does that mean this is for children? Because I'm not accustomed to putting that on a form...
  • [quote=Liz!]it says, AGE.[/quote]

Reckon 'over 18' is sufficient. It's probably so they can include a category for children if they get a good enough response.

Wonder if anyone will dare respond with 'Donkeys' years'?
  • Oooh - tempting!
  • [quote=B L Zebub]I used to call my mate, "Donkey"; someone once asked him why, and he told her: "Eeee-awww...eeee-awww....eeee-awwwwlways calls me donkey - dunno why..." [/quote]
    Hehehehehe, love that
    Dear BLZ, If you listen carefully, you'll hear that donkeys should really be called AAW-EEe and not Eyore. They always start their bray with an 'AW'!
    Aw-Eyore-eyorr-orr
    !!