Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Yearbook or website?

edited November 2011 in - Resources
Hi all
I'm just debating on what to do about resources for the coming year. Is it best to get a new copy of Writers Yearbook in (or Writers Market?) or is there a better way of finding the same, but more up to date, versions of the info on the web - and if so, which website(s) do you recommend? Or is a combination of the two the best plan? Finding markets often seems to be the issue with me so I'd be very glad of your opinions! Thanks very much!

Sweetpea

Comments

• The yearbooks also have online versions I think.
    Some of the info is out of date by the time the yearbook is published, but at least you get all the contact details you can start with to find out the up to date info...
  • I prefer it in book form because it's just so much easier to pencil in beside publishers etc whether you have contacted them or not, and which one in the list you've got got to, that sort of thing - at least you can phone them up, as Carol say, and check the info isn't out of date.
  • The details in the book are often out of date so should be checked online before subbing so in theory you could trawl the internet in search of info - but it's much easier to do that if you start with the names of a few possibilities. I haven't found a free site that offers all the same information and haven't tried any that are paid for so can't say how good they are.

Libraries often have a copy of the yearbook.

What type of markets are you looking for?
  • Hi all
    The yearbook it is then. I agree that it's easier to make notes this way - even though writing in a book is normally a feel faint and fall over moment for me, somehow in these it's ok :)

As for the market side, just general for articles really right now. Although I've had a little success with some articles, much of the time you just don't get replies so I was wondering if the smaller trade mags might be worth a try?
  • me again. do you all still prefer the Yearbook as opposed to Market? I've had both over the years and not sure which to go for this year.
  • [quote=Liz!]I prefer it in book form because it's just so much easier to pencil in beside publishers etc whether you have contacted them or not, and which one in the list you've got got to, that sort of thing - at least you can phone them up, as Carol say, and check the info isn't out of date. [/quote]

Yes I do agree.
  • If you're looking for markets for articles, Sweetpea join www.gorkana./uk/ this is a website mainly for journalists, feature writers and PR people and alerts you to updated editorial changes in magazines and newspapers and gives the contact details of editors.
  • Thanks! And thanks for the link Midia too, have popped it onto favourites.