Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Market For Horror Short Story Collection?

edited November 2011 in - Writing Problems
I have completed my first collection of my own short horror stories, called Shockers, and was wondering if any of you could give some advice/tips on trying to find a publisher who'd be willing to publish a book of short horror fiction by a single author.

Comments

• Sorry, Truego, not a clue.
    Maybe someone like Red will know ?
    How come it took you 2 years to say hello!?
    hello!
  • I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find any big publisher to publish an anthology from an unknown writer. I'd suggest publishing it yourself or looking for smaller independent publishers.
  • edited November 2011
    How about Pill Hill Press?

http://www.pillhillpress.com/shoppe-novels.html

Oops, sorry they're closed to novel submissions at the moment. But the indies may be the way to go.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=independent+horror+publishers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=independent+horror+publishers+uk&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=CXq&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryUK|countryGB&cr=countryUK|countryGB&sa=X&ei=OczMTv6hNoqX8QPX2t3QDw&ved=0CDcQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1e2e263c810822a8&biw=1280&bih=905
  • Or try submitting them one at a time to mags/publications that publish horror - do check that they're the correct length for a particular publication. You will need to do some research to find small press publications that might consider them.
  • Is this Talkback thread any good do you think Betsie?

"Writing: Markets for Short Horror Stories"
  • As Tony points out, it's really difficult to get a story collection in print if you are relatively new or unknown, but Static Movement and Pill Hill Press have some great anthologies - it's a good place to cut your horror writing teeth. The other aternative is to self publish, as already pointed out. Lots of people are doing that now. It's a first rung on the ladder to getting your name out there and building up a portfolio of published work that might interest future publishers.
  • Truegho - as Dora says, there is another thread listing mags that publish this sort of stuff. - see above.