Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Formatting my manuscript for kindle or smashwords.

edited March 2013 in - Writing Problems
I've written a novel of some 80,000 words and I would now like to have a go at publishing it on kindle or smashwords. I'm not brilliant with a computer but I have read the amazon guide to formatting your movel for the kindle. My work is obviously already on my computer and typed up as a Word document in double line spacing and paragraphs formed by pressing the tab buton etc. When I wrote the novel I was intending to go down the traditional publishing route. Will my manuscript be easy to format? How does it transfer to single line spacing? I apologise if I sound thick but I'm afraid to start playing around with the work in case I ruin what I've already typed up.

Comments

• Line spacing shouldn't be an issue, you can change that in MS Word easily.
  • The Smashwords style and formatting guide is good. Don't be put off by how daunting it may look at first - simply work your way through it step by step. I think you will then find that it's much easier than it appears at first.
    This will give you a ms that is okay for KDP (that's what I found with my own) except, of course, that the front matter will need to be changed. Are you designing your own cover? Smashwords have a list of designers who will do you a cover for a modest price, but you can experiment with your own designs. And remember that if you are not satisfied with the results for any reason after you've published, it is really easy to upload a revised ms or cover.
    Go for it! And give us a link when it's done.
  • Remember to save a version of your manuscript first so that if the formatting does go wrong you've got a backup copy!
  • Don't double space for publishing. Don't tab to indent - you need to use the built in paragraph indent in word or use paragraph line spacing - don't use both (Smashwords will reject for both). Don't use font greater than 18pt for any titles (Smashwords rejects). Use a consistent font that reads well on the e page - not the same as printed Garamond is good. Don't leave 2 spaces between sentences. Don't leave lots of blank lines (they look bad in an ebook). Be consistent in everything you do. Make sure it is properly edited before publishing and proof read (separate things). For Smashwords you are best to blitz the file of all formatting and do a clean version. If you use the one you have been editing you will almost certainly have style conflicts which will mean it is rejected from the premium catalogue. When you convert the file use calibre or an e reader to check the layout post conversion - you will be surprised by the odd layout issues that can creep in.

Good luck
  • Download the Smashwords Style Guide and keep a copy on your computer to refer to.

If you save a new copy of your work, then you won't "mess up" your original file which you understand.

The easiest way to blitz the file is to run it through Microsoft Notepad, like this.

Open your Word file and "Select all" and "Copy" it.

Open Notepad and "Paste" into there.

"Select All" and "Copy" from Notepad (under the Edit tab)

and "Paste" it back into a new Word document.

**For Smashwords you must upload .doc not .docx**

**If you use the above method to "clean out" the hidden Word formatting, you will lose any special little bits of formatting, like the non-indented first line of the Chapter, and you will have to re-centre your Chapter headings, manually.**

Personally, I find it easier to use this method (what Mark Coker of Smashwords calls the "nuke" method) to make sure my m/s is clean and then I redo all the little bits manually.

Good luck.
  • At first dealing with Smashword’s dreaded Meatgrinder was intimidating & I did have a few false starts. I also read numerous blogs written by people who sounded like they knew what they were talking about. It was a waste of time. Much ado about nothing because I figured it out. Here’s how to format a book to Smashwords. Note: I only write fiction & nonfiction. I don’t use tables or graphs or put in photos or get too fancy. I try and adhere to the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Use WORD. If you don’t have it, buy it. If you use Open Office or Word Perfect you’ll have major problems & if you do manage to solve them it’ll take forever.

In Find and Replace enter ^t in the Find box. ^t is the symbol for tab. That’s what most people use to indent the first line of paragraphs. Leave the Replace With box empty. Click on replace.

In Find and Replace enter.. and Replace with . Smashwords likes one space between sentences. Repeat if there are two spaces between end of sentence and new paragraph.

Delete spaces between paragraphs. Use single spacing not 1.5 or 2.

Make sure title page and License Statement is exactly the way Smashwords wants it. It’s in their free, downloadable Style Guide.

One more thing: WORD 2013 has a file extension of .docx. Smashwords won’t recognize a docx file (I have no idea why). Save your file (document) as WORD 2003 which has a .doc extension. Smashwords likes that extension and will accept it. Smashwords will be happy and so will you.

Make sure cover image is the size Smashwords wants. The correct size is also in the Style Guide. I’ll save you some time. Minimum width is 1,400 pixels and the height should be greater than the width. 1,600 pixels wide by 2,400 pixels high is a good dimension.

The choice of letting Smashwords assign you an ISBN number or using one that you’ve bought is up to you.

Submit. Piece of cake.
    J.M. Garlock
    htttp://www.actionmysteries.com
  • This makes it sould so simple. Is smashwords better than Kindle or can I do both? How do I download the smashwords style guide?
  • I've had to reformat things for both Kindle and Smashwords and can second what's already been said, especially the comments about keeping a copy and making sure you strip any existing formatting before you start. I learned that the hard way!

I'd also like to add that if you have a Mac you can format your book in Pages and then save as a .doc file.
  • Smashwords will give you much wider distribution but then precludes you from using the Amazon promotions which you are eligible for it it is with them exclusively. It is a tough call.
  • Then, when it's all done and you are feeling good about it - create a template with all the necessary formatting so that your next piece is properly set up from the outset. (But still check and double check!)
  • Good advice on here, Thanks to all. I'll have to have a think.
  • Download the Smashword style guide for free here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smashwords-Style-Guide-Format-Guides-ebook/dp/B004XWJ7UK/
    It works just as well when formatting for Kindle. Don't be put off by the length of the book - much of it isn't needed for text only books. But there is some useful background info in there.
    Personally I think Kindle is better for beginners because you can enrol in KDP Select & use their marketing tools (Free Days & countdown deals) to give your books an initial 'lift'.