Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone writing using a Tablet?

edited October 2013 in Writing
I'm thinking of getting a 9" tablet computer and a usb keyboard to use when I'm out and about. I see there was a similar query to mine about a year ago. Has anyone bought one since and if so how do they find it for writing.

I'm not really worried about speed of typing as I am the slowest and worst typist in the world. I did take a touch typing course many years ago and ended up with my fingers stuck down the side of the keys more times than actually hitting them and it messed up my nails :-)

Comments

• Hi Rosie,

Good question, and one I can answer in a roundabout way. I considered the same as you -- getting a tablet -- but as I decided to upgrade my mobile phone I went for a Lumia 820, which includes a (simplified) version of Microsoft Office with Excel and Word. It's surprisingly easy enough to write and edit on the phone, then upload to Skydrive afterwards. So my point is I bet it's not too bad writing on a tablet if I can get away with writing on a mobile phone when I'm on the move (or lying down on the sofa) :)

Another question is what tablet to get, and what writing software is available/what's the compatibility like with software on PC when transferring over? I'm sure someone else can bring some better advice to the table...
  • I have written on the iPad, and what is more you can use a wireless keyboard with it if you want at home which makes it even easier.
  • Thanks Liz and Tristram_Shandy.

Tristram - you got me thinking about adapting my Kindle Fire HD. I could get a Bluetooth keyboard and pair it up with the Kindle. That's once I get a replacement. It's been lying to me and saying there is no charge in the battery and powering off - even when it's been on charge all night. And it is getting very hot too. Spent half an hour last night on Amazon chat customer service but it still wouldn't work. Apparently I have to 'observe' it for 3 days and then if it still isn't working they'll organise a replacement. I 'observed' it misbehaving again this morning :-(
  • Hi Liz,

I write occasionally on my phone - Galaxy Note II with a bluetooth keyboard and Kingsoft Office. It's not 100% - the software can be a little slow - but it's good for first draft stuff.

I know a few people with tablets and keyboard cases which effectively turn them in to netbooks. They seem happy too. I just like having access to work 24/7, and emailing work to myself works just as effectively as cloud storage IMO!

CeeJam
  • I'm just getting to grips with the cloud and have to say it does work better than emailing... anything I write on my iPad or my Macbook air is automatically updated to its current version on the other two items without me having to do anything, and every other version is backed up behind it so if i want to revert or find another version it's there. it is utterly wonderful.
  • edited October 2013
    I've written on my iPad using a little app called Pages. Then I e-mail to myself and drop it into Word on my desktop. Works for bits and pieces when you're out and about - not sure I'd like to do a full blown lengthy piece using that method.
  • I'm still months behind. I use a Notebook for writing when away, and a tablet for emails, and-of course- keeping up with you guys. I got the tablet, because my Vodaphone dongle, used on the Notebook, was poor for signals in Derbyshire and the Lake District. Most hotels have free WiFi, so getting a tablet made sense.
  • toothlight I'm finding that these days that I'm choosing places to write (mainly cafes) only if they have wi fi. Mind you this morning in my local favourite and non wi fi cafe, I was trying to persuade them to get 'connected'. I would probably live there if they did :-)
  • [quote=toothlight]I'm still months behind. I use a Notebook for writing when away, [/quote]

I'm still in the last century. I use a notebook and pen for writing when I'm away, and try and cadge a go on somebody's lap top to check my mail. I'm OK with PCs and laptops, but as for Notebooks, Tablets, dongles, WiFi et al, well, I'm obviously familiar with the terms, but really have no idea of how they might benefit me. I lean towards Mme snail's opinion that they are tools of the devil

*feels deprived*
  • A question for people who write on tablets:

I've heard rumours of a Scrivener for iPad release and am considering trading in my creaking writing laptop for an iPad and keyboard, but I have question over file management - would I be able to folderise my drafts and completed work and compiles and slush pile? Am I able to back up to any physical media, i.e. USB drive?
  • LizLiz
    edited October 2013
    No. There is no USB point, on my iPad 2 anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't use my iPad as my sole writing tool. No folders for example.

It's an excellent adjunct to a computer, you can take it easily to a cafe or on holiday etc, but using it for everything? That's not what it's meant for.
  • I would agree with Liz on this point. I only use my iPad for away from home writing and e-mail the stuff to my desktop where it can get put into its proper folder
  • Whaaaat? You can't organise files into different folders on an iPad?

*cuddles Android tablet*
  • Thanks Liz and Betsie - that's what I was thinking really. I think the form of a tablet would be better - easier proof-reading without printing, portable, visual/ touch-based macro editing, but it does need to do all the boring stuff that PC's do.

I was looking at tablets that run full Windows 8.1, but they are somewhat pricey. Perhaps if I was a good writer.....
  • I have a Google Nexus 10" (Android) tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, and often write on that, using WiFi or USB to transfer work between that and my desktop computer. Can even print, if necessary, using 'Cloud Printing'. No problems at all with that particular setup. The more I use Android, the more I like it - I don't think I would consider going for Windows 8.
  • Danfango - what word processor do you use on Android? And is there software available to allow you to transfer photographs from an SDHC card? I'm thinking of replacing my aging iPad and want to make an informed decision rather than automatically buying another iPad.
  • OLG - So far I've not used my tablet for writing, although I keep meaning to. I bought a Samsung Note 8.0 with the intention of using it for sketching/graphical stuff and as a way of having photos handy without having to crank up the laptop or forcing people to squint at my phone's screen. But the more I use it the more it seems to be able to do.

It does have Polaris Office installed on it, which I've used on my phone. I didn't really get on with writing on a small screen, but the tablet's a better proposition as it's almost A5 size. I'll give it a go this evening and report back. I think if I was going to do it on a regular basis I'd want to get a separate keyboard.

Transferring photos from an SDHC card should be straightforward, although I'm assuming you'd need to get a card reader that you could plug into the tablet (unless your camera has Bluetooth?). My photos are mainly stored on my laptop; getting them onto the tablet's easy enough, you just connect the two via USB and use the tablet as a remote drive.
  • I've not used a tablet for my writing but one of my friends in 6th form did. He took notes on his tablet and then studied from them after class. I can't remember what he said exactly and I'm sure you'll find more helpful posts above but it is possible to transfer any writing and notes from the tablet to a word document. I just don't know how.
  • Thanks danfango. On holiday I've got into the habit of copying photographs to my iPad and creating a Pages document to remind me what they all are. If I don't do this I come home from holiday to look at a pile of photographs that I can't identify!
  • There must be a scrapbook apps where you can tag individual photos with a note so you don't lose track of what they are. I'm sure Evernote can do something like that - I've got it, but I've only scratched the surface with it, using it for very brief notes and keeping track of web links. But some sort of dedicated photo manager would be more suited to what you're talking about, OLG.
  • Yes it would, so I suspect iPad and its photo software may be the only choice.
  • I take four tablets a day....oh, and I use an iPad...
  • I have Pages on my ipad but I prefer to write at my main computer. It is too easy to hit the wrong key with the ipad keyboard.
  • If you consider for a moment that I used to swear by technology. I look at all these apps and more extensive software program, I totally get the functionality, the plus of the touch screen userbility. Organising it all for you.

Then I look at my makeshift pin board on my writing desk, my box of unorganised notes...and marvel that I'll have something to do when the power cuts out ;)

No, not really, it just amuses me, I am so far behind with the tech. I'm a hands on gal - look up and it's all there waiting, without the twitterfacebookpinterest distractions.
  • I write with my iPad- my hands are small and I often write hunched over in bed, so I have absolutely no problem using the on-screen keyboard. The only issue I've found is the lack of word processor apps. There are many that offer basic use, but very few that sync with things like Dropbox. I use Textkraft, which was quite cheap comparatively and is bringing out new features all the time - it allows me to save to Dropbox, but I can't open files that I've already saved there which is an eternal pain in my behind :P It makes it difficult to go between devices, honestly, which I usually do all the time - thus working on a complete manuscript or editing a piece you've already written can be annoyingly difficult. This can be solved by updating on Cloud apps like Google Drive (a bit of an ass, imo) and Evernote (holy mother of useful!), but you lose the functionality and all the features of a desktop-like word processor.
    However, for small one-shot scenes or short stories that you just HAVE to get down RIGHT NOW, there's nothing like it. It's so much easier than booting up a laptop, better for roaming and easier to set up shop in your local Starbucks for sure - and I type much faster than I handwrite, so there's that too (I'm a technology kid, can't live without my qwerty).
    Battery is no problem either - my iPad has a better battery life than my laptop, and no b!tchy cables either.
    For those talking about scrapbook apps - absolutely. Evernote is an obvious one (I prefer the app to the desktop version!) but there are others out there with varying levels of use and adaptability. I don't use any real things beyond the Evernote app (perfect for character profiles and plot points that I can't write without) and the Pinterest app (with which I create a new private board for each story and post and repin all photographic inspiration and useful web links).
  • [quote=anifay]Battery is no problem either - my iPad has a better battery life than my laptop, and no b!tchy cables either. [/quote] [quote=anifay]It's so much easier than booting up a laptop[/quote]

Depends on the laptop - my macbook air comes to life immediately, and lasts for 3 days or so on one charge, better than the ipad.

Also - the iPad has a cable, you have to charge it - that's the only time you'd use one on a laptop isn't it?

If you use 'Pages' on your iPad, you can save in Word to Dropbox and open your file complete with everything anywhere you want.
  • Just to update

I finally ended up with a Kindle Fire HD

A Bluetooth Keyboard - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AV1UYQS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a free writing app Kingsoft Office - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingsoft-Office-for-Android-Free/dp/B0067RQYNW/ref=sr_1_1?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1394024990&sr=1-1&keywords=kingsoft+office+app

and I haven't looked back. I love the fact that I can get it into a small handbag and whip it out whenever the muse takes hold!
  • Well done RosieRabit. Can I offer you a carrot?
  • NO? ;;)
  • I use my Asus Memo pad for writing down ideas for poems using
    Supernote, I can write, scribble draw or type. It's great fun. Really pleased with it and a good price.