Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers Wanted - One Act Play International Competition

2»

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Oh, I may know lots of things you don't know and you probably know even more things that I don't know but none is relevant to the subject in hand. Now is that clear! If it is award yourself an extra large Easter egg. (*)
  • It's not, but I'm taking the egg and running! Can't catch me!
  • Eggxcent idea!
  • The website has disappeared, which is a bit worrying...
    Facebook site still there.
    That's odd - I only looked at their site again quite recently and it was there, so this is a recent phenomenon.
    I guess we'll know what's happened when we receive a critique - or not, Lou!
  • LizLiz
    edited April 2014
    I'm reassured no end.

I feel terribly guilty about all the bad thoughts I was having when I first read the post, thinking it was a scam an' all, and that Firesale would burn my fingers

I'm just unutterably sorry, now, that I don't write plays...

Best of luck.

The last time i came in to read this, i thought SM was being ironic. Because it didn't seem to me that any answers had been given, just the opportunity to enter for free!

So u I hope all is on the up and up. fingers crossed for you both.
  • But if not, what have we lost... nuffin'!
  • But if not, what have we lost... nuffin'!
    Quite! Can't say I'm concerned.
  • Just had email update - 50 entries now being judged. Feel reassured!
  • Just had email update - 50 entries now being judged. Feel reassured!
    Me too, Lou.
    Good luck and hope you're one of the short-listed. :)

I hope to goodness I'll have moved to West Cork by the summer (don't ask) and if so - I will definitely try to go to see the short-listed plays, whether I'm successful or not!
  • C2C2
    edited April 2014
    All the very best you two. Fingers crossed
  • Yes, it would be great if you both got through.

*touches wood, avoids ladders and blows out candle with a wish*
  • Thanks, Nell, but I doubt if I'm in the same class as Lou when it comes to playwrighting. (Umm, is that a word?)
  • It is now!
  • Of course you are, Claudia!
  • Of course you are, Claudia!
    Here's hoping anyway!
    [-O<
  • Have you had your feedback yet, Claudia? I haven't, just an email saying they are running behind.
  • Hi Lou - no feedback yet - just the e-mail from them apologising for being behind schedule.
    :-\"
  • Claudia, Lou, did you ever hear any more from this? Did anyone else enter?
  • I got an email saying they had decided the winners would be performed at next year's festival, not this year's, as entries were still being assessed - I got the feeling they were waiting on the judges. The same text is on the facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firesale-Productions/1378530492404621?ref=ts&fref=ts. On the next post down there is a comment raising doubts about the competition. The shortlisted plays have never been announced and we haven't received our critiqued scripts.

Luckily Claudia and I didn't pay the entry fee. And I gave up and submitted my script to Playfest 2014 instead - it's now being performed in a rehearsed reading by Attic Theatre at Wimbledon Bookfest next month. Glad I didn't hold out for the results of this one!
  • Thanks Lou.
    Between April 19 and July 6, I would say they've had ample time to judge "over 50 scripts", even from July 6 to now (say, one a day ought to be feasible). It seems the Skibbereen Arts Festival have also not been kept up to date with any of this, so whether they know they're hosting the winners next year seems doubtful too. One of the Facebook commenters has actually got a response from the organiser, who's still maintaining all is above board (in the last day or so), but we shall see...
  • I received the same e-mail as Lou about the delay until next year. I've never received a critique either, but like Lou says - at least we didn't shell out any money. I would have been very aggrieved if I'd paid out 30 euros for the critique!
  • A new post on their Facebook page this evening by one entrant is raising concerns about getting refunds.
  • Not surprising.
  • There's an update on fb and their site to apologise and say scripts should be returned with assessments in October.
  • I've just re-found this thread after finding a FB message which said:

Carzyfox Ali
    4 October 17:00
    Hi...we do not know each other but I read your post here:

http://www.writers-online.co.uk/talkback/#index.php?p=/discussion/184327/writers-wanted-one-act-play-international-competition/p1

I strongly suggest you read through the detailed expose on my facebook page...Thank you.

Did anyone else get this? I haven't looked for fear of unleashing something virusy!
  • No, didn't get that.
  • I looked at this person's facebook page... wow, that is one aggrieved individual!
  • Obviously very angry.

• There's all sorts of allegations flying around - two people have been asked to apologise and legal action threatened - you can look on the Firesale Facebook page for more info.
  • I've looked at the carzyfox ali page Nell - you're not missing out on much. [just checked again, page not found. You didn't miss much info, but rather a lot of passion]

Threats of legal action seem quick to come. Adjudications first promised, late, in July, still do not. Wide berth doesn't even come close. If anyone here paid, with Paypal or credit card, back claim it.
  • Fortunately I think the only talkbackers who entered were myself and Lou, and neither of us paid, thank goodness.

Seeing as I'm in West Cork now I might ask around a bit: it's a small community down here - just out of curiosity you understand.
  • I know I looked at the Facebook post by carzyfox ali, and someone posted on her page who had paid and was obviously very upset.
  • New post from firesale with an update on their fb page.
  • Hmm, wonder if we'll ever see those critiques, Lou!
    :-?
  • I've done a bit of digging: my friend knows the organiser. I am not going to post anything further on this public thread.
  • Update - I received an e-mail from the organiser saying that the competition has been closed and inviting entrants to claim their money back. It's taken them a very long time to tell us what we had already gathered!
  • At least they haven't just vanished!
  • Yes got that too! I wonder if they just took on more than they bargained for.
  • Yes, I think that's probably what happened, Lou. According to my friend, the 'organiser' has no background in the arts that she's aware of. Don't know what possessed him really... a way to make a quick and easy buck? I'll make more enquiries once I'm settled in West Cork - out of curiosity more than anything.