Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Does book colour matter?

2»

Comments

• I like that. The colour says look at me, but the reader can't be confused about its content.
  • It's lovely! And I love the pseudonym.

;)
  • Oh yes - that's much nicer! I'm afraid I didn't much fancy the colours on the original cover. :)
  • Really like it, TN. Good luck with those sales!
  • Phew...

For some reason, it's not showing on my Author Page.

I hate computers.
  • Amazon is saying that Light Bites is out of stock.
  • I know!

I just tried ordering myself a copy!
  • The author is a really good writer!
  • So they say...
  • "hey, why do you hate us? We only do what you tell us?" president of the association of computers.
  • *pulls plug and gets out typewriter*
  • What is typewriter?
  • Much easier on the eye, though I think I'd like to see a figure in the landscape.
  • Nice!
  • ana said: Much easier on the eye, though I think I'd like to see a figure in the landscape.

There is a little sailboat on the back cover. I'm not clever enough to put in a figure. This was a photograph I took and then fiddled with to make it slightly more unusual.

With my other paperbacks, Amazon allows you to see the back cover, too. Maybe that will come in time.
  • I won't buy a book without a really good back cover! :^o
  • You can see the back cover now and it's finally showing as in stock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Bites-Helen-Laycock/dp/1499170246/ref=la_B006PGFVL6_1_4_bnp_1_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398273296&sr=1-4

But I don't know where my little sailing ship has gone.
    The kindle version's still not there (only the old version). :(
  • There's more to this writing lark than just writing.

*sighs*
  • Enjoyed the preview, Nell. But didn't see the back...
  • It shows it in a little box left of the main cover picture. You're not missing much...
  • And it has your photo on it!
  • So do you know when the new Amazon version will be online?

Another of my books has recently become available as an Ebook & Kindle.
  • Stan said: So do you know when the new Amazon version will be online?

An 'Amazon version', Stan? Do you mean kindle?

Great about your books. It's good to be able to offer different versions.
  • Yes, I mean Kindle.

I am planing to send an update on my books to friends and others about my books especially to encourage sales of the e/Kindle versions.
  • Well, I had to write to Amazon to say my kindle version wasn't showing. Hety presto, I've just checked and now it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Bites-Helen-Laycock-ebook/dp/B00JTIQIRS/ref=la_B006PGFVL6_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398338068&sr=1-9

Yes, Stan, you can't just let your books hibernate - you've got to get them out there. I got Hubby to do some technological wizardry last night and my email signature now has hyperlinks to my author page, facebook and twitter sites and underneath is a row of all my book covers, all hyperlinked to their Amazon pages. Can you add something to your email signature for your books?
  • edited April 2014
    Hmm just looked at my bookshelf, most of them are black or muted greys blues and browns. Then again most of them are horror or fantasy.

Would never even consider buying a book that was pink or pastel.
  • Yes, those colours seem to go with the territory, Neph! My shelves are much the same.

I just looked at the cover of one of hubby's books ('It's Our Turn to Eat' by Michela Wrong) on the bedside cabinet. It's appropriate for the subject matter, but aesthetically I don't like it. I didn't like the covers of the Marina Lewycka books (tractors/caravans) either.
  • I'll be honest I like plain simple eye-catching covers. When I'm putting the books out at the shop I cringe at some of them.
  • I prefer subdued and tasteful covers in keeping with my personality. Nothing encased in pink would ever find its way on to my bookshelves,
  • *wonders who will be the first to publish a pink book to test that declaration*

I go for subtlety too. I do judge books by their covers, can't help it.

I don't like covers that depict characters in detail - I want them to be created in my imagination.
  • I don't like faces on the covers. Reminds me of Mills & Boon.
  • Ah M & B!
  • I quite like them, for a change.

*swoons*

• edited April 2014
    I've been reading some of the older ones to my mum, just to pass the time when I visit as conversation is long gone.

I don't like it when there has been a TV or film adaptation and the actors appear on the front, especially when the actors look nothing like the character description in the books.
  • I like the cover, TN.
    Remembering when I saw "Casual Vacancy" on the bookshelves I hated the cover and wouldn't have bought it, so covers do matter.
  • Lizy said: Remembering when I saw "Casual Vacancy" on the bookshelves I hated the cover.

Ditto!
  • LizLiz
    edited April 2014
    Me too! Hehe! But I had to get it as it was book group book last month, and oh, my, what a dreary story it is. She openly admits she got back at her ex-partner and one of the other characters, not a nice man, is her father, so it may be that her story was besieged by wanting to take it out on them, but really it would be hard to find anyone in that book to like. You need a protagonist you like to enjoy a book i think.

I've bought yours, Nell, hope it arrives before i go...
  • Oh, Liz! Thank you. :\">