Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Calling Computer Whizz

edited May 2014 in Writing
I always used to have a 'save' option listed when I used the drop-down menu under 'File' on Microsoft Word. It's gone. I only have 'save as' now.

Can anyone help me find it?

Bleat bleat...

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Have you opened something you've downloaded? If it is a read-only copy (should say in top bar) then you won't be able to save, only save-as.
  • Which version of Word are you using?

I've got 2007 and access 'save as' via the round symbol at the top left, click it and it produces a list of options and I choose 'save as' from there.
  • delvey, I can't use 'save' for anything - my writing, letters, emails - only save as.

Carol, it's Word 2003.
  • File, save as - have you lost the option or that icon?
  • I've lost the 'save' option, shown as a word under the heading 'File'.
  • But short-term, you could use save as - until someone can help?
  • Yes, that's what I have been doing.

I think I caused the problem when experimenting with dashes. I pressed control, alt and the hyphen key, rather than the minus key. That gave me a short, thick black line instead of a cursor and, from that point, 'save' was never to be seen again... though, looking on the bright side, I did manage to get rid of the stumpy line.
  • Ctrl + s
  • Tried it. That doesn't put it back where it belongs so I guess you're teaching me another way to 'save', Bill. Trouble is, I'm an old dog.
  • Have you tried turning it off and on?
  • Yep, it's been missing for days.

In other 'Missing' news, I've found the bunch of keys that mysteriously disappeared.
  • Ah - they may be the key to all this. Or not. Probably not.
  • Wait...when you click file is there a little arrow at the bottom of the menu?
  • I know what you've done...you did Ctrl-Alt-Minus (which gives you the 'big minus symbol') then you're tried to click save. You literally told Word to remove Save from your menu...silly billy.

Right click of File, click Customize (at the bottom), Commands tab, File, find and click Save and OK that.
  • Actually depending on which Word you have you may need to drag Save to where you need/want it to be. The menus will automatically open when you drag the Save button over it.
  • That was great, br - until I got to your instruction 'click save and OK that'. There was only a 'close' option after I clicked 'save' in the commands.

Oh, another of your comments has come up. Let me try that...
  • It was draggable. I dragged it into File, but it just settled itself beside File in the shape of a disc.

Should I throw something?
  • Ah, it's worked! Tra la la! Thank you, br. You're a star!!!! (*)
  • No problem, that will be £65 please.
  • I'm worth every bloody penny!
  • I'd expect a signed photo for that money.

• 65p. That's my final offer.
  • A photo, Baggy? You really don't want to encourage him, you know. Any excuse and his clothes are off...
  • I'll take a new one just for you, Baggy.

• Ummm. Please don't. Really. It's a school night.
  • I can't help it if I have a beautiful one pack!
  • *googles one packs*

Oh.
  • It's alright, I make up for it by having an enormous.......ego.