Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reviews on Amazon - who writes them?

edited May 2014 in Writing
I was looking at Fiverr the other day, and another little bit of naivete was lopped off. People will write verified reviews for anyone's book for a fiver. So just how far can you trust any of those glowing reviews of the book you are tempted to sample?
In fact, it's amazing what people will do for a fiver, including writing essays for school and university. One can see how reverting to exams rather than continuous assessment might have a point. How else do you prove the student actually knows anything?

Comments

• I wouldn't pay for a review, even if I was convinced that a good one would bring in enough extra sales to earn back the £5. These things are often exposed and the author ridiculed. Also if a book has lots of glowing reviews it builds up an expectation which probably won't be met (if the author expected lots of genuine good reviews she wouldn't be buying them) Better for a reader to be pleased it was quite good rather than disappointed it's not 'absolutely totally awesome!'
  • Agree, PM.
  • Gosh. Isn't it against the law to describe something as what it is not? If this was knowingly done, I do wonder if the perpetrator could be prosecuted?
  • I'd never pay for a review either, but it seems some do, as these people are making money out of it. I've seen books that are really, really badly written but come with 5 star reviews. Once you discount all the aunts and uncles and cousins twice removed who are putting these things up, you could be looking at paid reviews.
    If the goal is to make a sale, they've achieved it; what comeback does the disappointed buyer have for something bought for Kindle?
    One man's tosh is another man's treasure, Liz - you can't prove they didn't seriously enjoy reading the book they describe as the best thing since War and Peace, when it's plainly no such thing.
  • It is annoying to those of us who wait... and wait... for legitimate reviews. I'm so often amazed when I look at (other) forums where 'writers' who really are unable to string words together to write a competent sentence have just self-published a book and already have a string of glowing reviews.

I wish there was some audition process in publishing. Oh, yes, wait a minute - that's called traditional publishing. I wonder if reviews are legitimate when writers have taken that route. Possibly not...
  • Well, mine are.

Mrs B, you'd have proof of deception though, if the reviewer had been on fiver wouldn't you?
  • edited May 2014
    Liz, the seller can't legally describe something inaccurately. If they knowingly bought false reviews then that might get them in trouble, but if they and the reviewer were to say the review although paid for was genuine I don't think anyone could do anything.

A paid for review isn't automatically dishonest.

If someone were to offer me cash for a review, I might do it but a) I'd only give my honest opinion and b) I'd want more than £5.
  • I disagree to an extent - i think paying for it calls into question its honesty, in fact the whole idea is wonky because people who need to pay for one are not going to pay for an 'honest' review.

There's a conflict of interest - just because it is for writing, why does it make a difference, you would be outraged to find out that a dog food manufacturer had 'paid' money for all its reviews...
  • While the ethics is dodgy and I think paid for reviews should be routed out and some sanction implemented, it is never going to be easy to police it.

• Yeah, paid for reviews are quite likely to be a bit dodgy or biased. That's not the same as saying the reviewer recieving money is proof they didn't mean what they wrote, even if you could prove that.
  • Reviews are not always paid for in cash - there are many 'quid pro quo' reviews out there. If you look at 'all my reviews' for some of the reviewers they tend to only give 5 stars. Maybe they only leave reviews for books they loved, but it always look a bit fishy to me.
    I tend to ignore all the initial five-star ones and wait to see what later reviews say, but I don't think I've ever bought a book just based on its reviews because they are so easily manipulated.
  • It's quite common to see a review for a review. I think that encourages reviewers to be effusive with compliments because they think it will guarantee the same for them.
  • I often track-back reviewers and I have to say there are some very unhealthy relationships. It's not just scratching the backs of others, it's scratching their own. I can't prove one recent find - but gut instinct tells me some writers have no conscience.

When I have nothing better to do, I might draw up a 'family tree' of reviewers and see how they're all related.

A cluster of five star reviews and some that are only two or three, usually indicates something iffy.

I think I've already mentioned this example - second book in a series attracted a very nice review by 'Mary'. Their Amazon account was 'Mary'. Sadly they reviewed the third book, signed it 'Mary' but were logged into the account of AN Other...the same (unusual) surname as the author.

I'm regularly sent books to review - some don't get past the first few chapters and aren't reviewed. I received two on Saturday - from a well known publisher. They want unbiased reviews and have always stressed how important impartial feedback is.

• I don't think there's a problem with people only giving good reviews (although all gushing 5 stars is suspect). Quite a few people, particularly other writers, are very wary of giving bad reviews.

• The trouble is it really does reflect badly on the reviewer's own books. I think we possibly look into these things more than Joe Public.
  • Just FYI, I'll do a decent review for £3.50 :D I'm cheap me.
  • Presumably you'll throw in a signed photo for that much?
  • In the shower?
  • *races to finish memoirs, upload and publish*

I've been thinking about the £5 for a review. If I was going to charge (and I'm not!), I'd want to cover the reading and review-writing time. Why muddy the water for only £5?

• I suspect they are not reading at all.
  • I suspect you're right, Liz.
  • The problem with buying reviews for your book is that the aim is to encourage readers to buy it - if your book is in fact rubbish the readers that buy it based upon the 5* paid for reviews will leave a poor review - so in the long run it should even itself out and although the author may make a few sales based upon the initial 5* reviews it is unlikely to be a winning strategy over the long term.

Another point of view though - What if the book is actually brilliant but the writer just can't get anyone to read it and so buys some reviews which increase his readership and ultimately leads to the writer being discovered by more readers who give further 5* genuine reviews - it might be immoral and ethically questionable - but is it not just clever marketing in the second instance??
  • if your book is in fact rubbish the readers that buy it based upon the 5* paid for reviews will leave a poor review - so in the long run it should even itself out and although the author may make a few sales based upon the initial 5* reviews it is unlikely to be a winning strategy over the long term.
    True, and people reading the reviews can click on a link to say whether or not they consider the review helpful. If I bought a book on the strength of a five-star review and I considered the book to be rubbish, it's distinctly possible I would click on the "unhelpful" link and maybe even attach a comment to the review.

I write Amazon reviews (admittedly, more for music than books) and I always try to provide reasons for the star rating I award. I do not trust reviews that say merely "I enjoyed this and you will too" or similar - there are lots of them about.

• I spent the weekend reading a book and have just drafted my review. The publisher hasn't paid me - I doubt my review would be worth what my hourly rate is.

Why have I given the publisher and author my time for free? Because I love reading. This one will get five stars and will deserve each of them.

I've tried to explain why I rate the book so highly - but it is just my opinion. Others will differ, but I will be standing by my five stars.

My review will go, initially, to the publisher and then next month it'll be on Amazon etc and my own site. The version I post will be mine. The publisher isn't 'approving' it, but they want to use reviews in their publicity, so it goes to them asap.
  • Is it fiction or fact, BB? I'm intrigued...
  • My review? Fact.

• Lol!
  • But what about the book?
  • It's not available yet. My reviews get posted on my site - if I remember I'll post a link.
  • And so to bed...
  • I'm waiitng for my first review of my new book The Snake Princess.
  • oh i got one now. :)
  • And it's a lovely one!

Just opened a new book - to read and review. There was a letter...

'Please turn off the proofreading side of your brain, I know there are errors...my excuse is that I self-published and didn't get it proofread.'

Hmmm. Not sure if I'm the right one for this job.
  • That would make me throw the MS at the wall, BB - there is no excuse! If he/she knows there are errors, then why did they not correct them? Mutter, complain, growl...
  • It's not a MS - it's a book that I've been sent to read for pleasure and review. That' doesn't sound any better, does it? They've used a local printer to produce it - must have been expensive as it's a hard cover.
  • But why would anyone knowingly produce a book full of mistakes? I hope they're prepared for the flack they'll get from readers.
  • Someone plainly has money to burn, a lot of self-confidence, and no respect for his reader. (I'm allowing him one - you!)
  • Might be a woman, Mrs B.

What a bonehead - and actually asking you to turn off your proofreader brain, don't they understand it's all part of the package?
  • It might indeed, Liz. I still can't get past the fact that they knowingly paid for a book with errors in it to be printed and published. I get hot under the collar if one sneaks past me on here, let alone in a book someone's going to fork out their hard-earned dosh for. Do they think the reader will be so blown away by the plot and the story-telling that they won't notice the typos and grammatical pratfalls?
  • I wonder if they had it printed (perhaps had never seen it on paper before?) and then noticed, or perhaps had it pointed out to them.
  • I believe that's what happened.

I'm reading the book because it sounds an intriguing plot.
  • Oddly enough, I was thinking I would have to find out how to write a review on Amazon, having recently got a Kindle app, when lo and behold, amazon asked me for one!
    they emailed me to ask if I was happy with the books I had bought and offering me the option of giving them stars and/or writing a review.
    So I did both. The odd thing was, one of them I wanted to say something brief - flattering but short - and amazon told me I had to write more. Apparently there is a minimum one is allowed to write!!
    :-S
  • It prevents people from just posting 'great' or similar.

If you click on the product and then reviews, it prompts you to post a review, rather than wait for that email. And you can review books that you didn't buy from Amazon. And don't forget to add it to Goodreads.

I've been agonising over a recent review. Decided to upgrade it from four to five stars. The trouble is, most of the books I read are very good and I rate them on how they are within their 'group'.

I don't like giving out too many fives - especially when I see poor books with them, but this was deserving - it originally lost a star due to details that I doubt only the pickiest would worry about. I didn't want potential buyers - or the author - to be put off, although four ain't bad.

• Four's good, BB. Far too many books get fives, and when I read them, they are at best threes or twos. I'd trust a four more, somehow.
  • What if all the reviews are clearly written by people who are able writers and who have written a lot of detail and who obviously know what they are talking about? I have foutrteen 5 star reviews and get worried when people say ' I don't believe 5 star reviews'. Well - why not?
  • Exactly. I'm able to support my decisions - and as you can see from deliberations about the four becoming five, I take it very seriously.

I don't believe ALL five star reviews. I have begun to plot out that family tree of reviewers.
  • Of course if a book deserves a 5, fair enough. But too many clearly don't, so I tend to look down the list and see what other reviews are there. If on balance the reviewers explain their choice of stars, that's fine; but when it's just a paragraph or four of 'this is wonderful' without saying why, I'm leary.
  • Does anyone have a separate account for posting reviews?
  • No, but I set the name used for reviews the same as my blog name carolb.
  • I did the reviews mentioned above for 2 books by TBers - will they know it was me? I am very new to this review lark, as you can probably tell!