Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Every Day or only when you're in the Mood??

edited May 2014 in Writing
I work full-time as many others on here will as well and I always seem to read on various sites, magazines and from interviews with authors that the most successful writers do at least a little bit of work every day. Now I can't do that because I don't always have the time and if I do get some time I tend to be tired or/and have other things that need doing. My writing therefore tends to be sporadic and scattered - Who on here manages to write a little every day or do they work in splurges like me and at the end of the day does it really matter?

Comments

• I try but I'm more of a splurger. I suppose if you do a bit every day you get further sooner, but whatever works.
  • Splurge - I seldom have as much time as I would like.

I've mentioned in another thread that I write Amazon reviews. The main reason for doing this is to exercise the part of my brain that deals with writing when I haven't got time to write anything more meaningful.
  • I splurge too.

After next week I should be able to get down to some work for at least 2-3 days, though that will be 2-4 hour sessions each day.

I find the time of year has some effect.

April and May, not much writing gets done at all.
  • edited May 2014
    Every day, the moment I get home from work, 500 words minimum, target of 800. Saturdays and Sundays same deal, but when my wife is putting the baby to bed. It's not a huge amount, but the regularity helps me to keep momentum going, and ideas fresh in my head. No pain no gain and all that. Often I get more done, but sometimes I'm empty after those 500 or so words.

Full time job + 10 month old baby + writing habit = big coffee bill.

I'm editing to add that I don't think it matters, as long as it suits you. I imagine some people store up the ideas like creativity camels and let it all rip in mammoth sessions.
  • Every day, but sometimes that can be just a few words - on a bad day, one word! But using this method has hugely increased my productivity. I don't have a maximum number of words, just a minimum - of one!
  • Every day. As someone recently put it even if you only manage a half hour every day that's still, potentially, a book in a year.
  • There's no rule, datco, other than that a writer writes. I have no doubt you think about your work, even when you're not writing it. So long as you scribble anything important down, to apply next time you sit at the computer to write, then you've achieved something.
    I write every day - it's what I do, since I can't help Mr Bear with the renovations or decorating (which annoys me, as I am the paint roller queen, and we're at that stage) for fear of aggravating the shoulder again. So I see this as my job; but it's not 8 hours a day at the type-face - it's often afternoon before I start.
  • So right Mrs Bear, I was thinking about two of my characters- well three actually, this morning (while I was doing other stuff) and one was comparing the colour of the other two's skins, one still tanned and the other pasty pale.
  • I think it was Baggy who put a photo share on FB recently. An animal lying on a branch totally relaxed, and the caption was, "I'm writing - I'm just not typing."
  • Thanks everyone, I suppose it does depend on the time available I reckon if I was a full time writer I'd treat it as a job and spend 5-6 hours a day writing - what a great life that must be to live. Disappearing into your own little bubble every day only coming out for coffee and munchies.
  • I write nearly every day. I now have the time to write for several hours every day, which is nice you're right. I don't think it's made any difference to the quality of my work, but I am producing more of it.

• Thanks everyone, I suppose it does depend on the time available I reckon if I was a full time writer I'd treat it as a job and spend 5-6 hours a day writing - what a great life that must be to live. Disappearing into your own little bubble every day only coming out for coffee and munchies.
    Ah, the dream... You've forgotten cooking, cleaning the loo, hoovering, gardening, ironing (though that one's optional), shopping, and all the other things I try to avoid every working day. Or supposed working day. It's an art form.

• I try to schedule time most days, but don't worry if I have days (or sometimes weeks) off as I find that refreshing. If I force myself too hard then the quality suffers. And I don't want to turn it into a chore instead of a pleasure.
    Having said that if I'm working to a deadline then I do make myself get on with it, whether I feel like it or not.
  • I write something (and I don't mean just to-do lists!) every day but I only knuckle down to my real WIP now and again. Whenever I plan to, something happens - the baby refuses to sleep, someone falls ill, there's an important meeting at work...so even my 'splurges' tend to take me by surprise when they happen. But one day They'll all be at school, and watch me then ;)
  • Ooh, I somehow posted twice. Not sure how that happened, sorry!
  • I don't think I could write anything if I wasn't inspired, so I would have to say 'in the mood'.

I can't imagine anything worse than sitting at the computer at an allocated slot each day feeling I have to write creatively. If it was for a job which involved factual writing, that's another thing; I think I could manage that.

Fortunately, ideas still bubble and brim which means that most days I enjoy writing something. :-?
  • C2C2
    edited May 2014
    My muse is still in the bubble stage, floating here and there.
  • Are we talking wind here, Maro?
  • l.o.l It just might be in my case TN. But what ever it is I'm sure it will
    be the better for its release.
  • 'Let your wind go free where e'er you be' - and your muse too.
  • :\"> 'scuse me.
  • I try to work everyday but I don't write equally. Some days I'll write thousands of words some days just one or two. Just do whatever works for you.
  • I find if I have to write something and don't feel like it it doesn't feel good sitting down to force it, BUT once I've 'written out' the rubbish and the dull stuff caused by forcing I find the real stuff beginning to flow and then I become enthused and then I become creative and it becomes easy.

• 'Every day or only when you're in the mood?'

Not every day - but also not only when I'm in the mood.
    I write when I have a specific goal. That might be because I've suddenly had an idea for a story: exceedingly rare as I'm not primarily a fiction writer, (which is the major reason why I'm such a fan of our One Word Challenge as it has encouraged me to try fiction). My usual goal is a non-fiction travel article and will normally have to be written as a result of an idea which I've pitched to an editor which I then have to write to a deadline. Deadlines are very good for me - stops all that procrastination! ;)
  • I work better with deadlines.
  • Journalists don't write only when they're in the mood. If you have any intention of becoming a professional writer, you have to learn to write on command. When I'm working in a novel, I do a set number of words a day regardless of mood. After some time, mood becomes irrelevant. A writer writes.
  • Some writers can force it, some can't.
    When I'm writing cr"p I stop and do something else, like cooking or ironing, or go for a walk before I go back to it.
    Clears the mind wonderfully, and I've saved myself the trouble of deleting wodges of stuff.
    In the end it's what works for you.
  • edited June 2014
    Interesting to read those last two posts - and I completely understand both points of view!
    As I said in my post: My usual goal is a non-fiction travel article and will normally have to be written as a result of an idea which I've pitched to an editor which I then have to write to a deadline.

And this means my mood is irrelevant: I have to knuckle down and get on with it.

However, if I'm writing a piece of fiction that isn't working, I take a break from it and leave my subconscious to grapple with it for a while.

So - I guess it's a case of how you approach - or are forced to approach -your writing...
  • Possibly the reason that 'non-fictional' writing seems easier is because you're more practised in it. You develop techniques to write without mood. The more you write fiction, the more it becomes something you can do on demand. Just try it - write 1000 words a day and soon you'll be writing 1000 good, usable words a day. Then more.
  • Isn't that what Dorothea Brande's 'Becoming a Writer' is all about: learning how to write 'on command'? (if memory serves)
  • I suppose it all depends on how much you 'want' or feel the 'need' to write. If you want to do it enough then you will always find the time. The next time you are sat watching television think to yourself, "I could be writing now" and if that gets you out the chair and over to your writing area then you have found the time. If it doesn't then you are probably doing as much writing as you want to do.
  • Hello, Tony - and welcome to TB.
  • Thank you Tiny.
  • Hi and welcome, Tony.
    Why don't you start a thread in the Welcome Writers category, then others will find you and say Hello?