Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

No response

edited May 2014 in Writing
Looks like I may have to chase up a fiction submission. No news is good news?

It's been 7 weeks this Friday (and they do say give them a nudge if I haven't heard anything within 6). I haven't needed to do this before, so I'm trying to think of the appropriate wording.

Note: this is a thinly veiled plea for advice ;;)

Comments

• I would give it until Monday, as we've had both Easter, a long weekend taking out both a Friday and a Monday, then May Day- another Monday.

Do you know anyone else who's submitted to them that you could ask?

But whatever you say, be your polite self...

• Good point about the holidays, Carol. I'll leave it perhaps until the end of next week.

I don't know anyone personally. It's Apex Magazine, by the way.

Well, I'm always polite O:-)
  • I have a similar problem with some articles I submitted (by invitation) to an editor who is new to me. I don't want to chase him too soon, but I was expecting to hear by now, and I've been procrastinating! (I don't have bank holidays to take into account as he's not a UK editor.)
  • When 'chasing', it is always useful if a new aspect can be introduced.

An approach on the lines;
    "Whilst you finalise your deliberation of the submission/manuscript/entry could you please advise/verify/indicate if you have in-house editing facilities or prefer independent proof-reading?"
  • Claudia, you make another good point about the holidays: Apex is a US publication so they won't share our holidays (something I probably would have realised if I wasn't so tired last night). Anyone know of any US holidays in the past couple of months that may have slowed their reading down? Well, other than the thousand (perhaps) other manuscripts they received. Ah, I'll give them another week before I send the boys round - politely :D

Jan, is this a good tactic for generating freelance work? I think I might play it safe on this occasion.
  • Tristram - try Googling "US holidays".
  • If they say to nudge after 6 weeks and it's been that long, then you should nudge. Just email saying that as you've not had a response you're contacting them in accordance with their guidelines on the website (or wherever) about your submission XYZ subbed 7 weeks ago (give precise date too to help them check)

I wouldn't confuse the issue by asking another question and I wouldn't say anything that implies you're demanding an instant yes or no. Definitely don't suggest you don't bother proofreading your work before subbing it.
  • If I remember rightly Apex has just increased it's pay per word, therefore is likely to have had a fair amount of subs and a lot of press attention. Wait it out 6-8 weeks is usual for them.
  • I would wait a wee bit longer - maybe until end of next week. I realised some time ago that some publishers and agents never get around to replying - in response to this I just checked my spreadsheet for my last novel submission ( love byte) and 5 agents and 2 publishers that accepted submissions just never bothered to get back to me at all - I guess their slush pile was just too well ....slushy - definitely chase them up.
  • It happens to us all but I still think not bothering to reply at all is bl**dy rude. I mean, how long would ittake to send an email? They must know how much hangs on their response.
  • I hadn't noticed that, Silver. That would explain a lot. I'm definitely giving them a nudge this week, though.

Lizy, at least Apex do ask for a nudge. But I've had a few agents not reply and it's easy to feel that way.