Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

TB meeting in Bath, Liz n' Carol - anyone else near? Ana?

LizLiz
edited May 2014 in Writing
5 pm at a caff in Baff.

Comments

• All TB's welcome. :)
  • Is meeting in baff legal?!
  • Only in Baff.

Ana said on Facebook she has to work till 5.30, so won't be able to make it but would have loved to have come. In fact she said Oh, b****r three times. Such is the extent of her agony.
  • That's a shame too, it would have been fun to meet up with another TBer.
  • Right, I must go, got to get dressed and get on with the packing.

Have fun while I'm away- of course you will. :-))
  • Enjoy yourself Carol.
  • Hope it's going well!
  • We had a great time. Said goodbye to Liz, Lola and Pete about twenty minutes ago.

Been a very busy day. Started with the Fashion Museum, then I went to the Royal Crescent. Had time to go to the Jane Austin centre before meeting Liz.

Lola is an absolute sweetie. :)

I am very tired,so have decided not to go to back out.

Lovely to finally get to meet Liz and co.
  • What fun! Glad it all went to plan.
  • We are only just back! We found when we got to the car we had 20 mins left on the ticket (Pete misread it!) so we took Lola for a run (there is the Royal Crescent park just at the top of the car park). We ran around like crazy things to give her some exercise and then drove home.

Lola is very tired, and had a strange day before we even got to see Carol, but I'm too tired now to tell you!

It was wonderful to finally meet, and now i can picture Carol's smile and voice when we talk on here.

Photos tomorrow, unless Carol can post them, but I'm too tired to make them smaller now.
  • Excellent!
  • edited May 2014
    Nice pics. So disappointed I couldn't have been there to have held the camera. :( I do enjoy a good laugh in Baff. Glad you had a lovely time, though.
  • We went to the same cafe, IG. You were missed. XX
  • Oh, look at Lola on Aunty Carol's knee! Stealing the show again...

Glad a good time was had by all.
  • Lola liked Aunty Carol. She even alerted Aunty Carol. She doesn't do that for everyone, you know.
  • And Lola was right. :)

Great photos, thanks Liz. :)
  • Are you home?
  • Yes, train arrived in Nottingham at 7. The carriage I was in was right at the back, so I had to walk the very long whole length of platform to get to the lift. But I was able to get a taxi straight away, so was home by 7.25.

Hard to believe that I was sitting under a tree listening to a guitarist at lunchtime, now I'm back home.
  • That's amazing - what a full weekend you've had. Sorry I couldn't be a little part of it.
  • So glad you had a good time - it would have been awful if it was awful after all that anticipation.
  • Baff, Lizy, it is never awful, even in the rain! I think we are very lucky to live near it, it does have a very special feel.

But not, to our taste, for living in - not diverse enough!
  • You can never get bored in Bath, Lizy, there's just so much going on. :)

I was staying at the flat end of Bath fortunately.
  • I remember driving into Bath about 40 years ago - before your time? - and the road in went through some fearfully dreary industrial areas. The contrast with the architecture in the town was so startling that I have never forgotten how the approach let it down.
    No doubt they've changed all that now.
  • Like any city there are less attractive areas, and they probably didn't fall within the city limits.

Have to say that where they have built new shopping areas- South Gate- a short walk down from the pump rooms, they have the big name stores (Debenhams, Apple, PC World etc) modern lay out and frontage, but they've been placed into a building design to imitate the style of the Georgian structures, blending the modern with the past very successfully.

They had even got an area of artificial turf with deck chairs down, plus benches, and there were lots of children playing together while their dad's sat in the sunshine watching over them.

Every little courtyard around the city had been turned into an opportunity for eating and drinking, and being able to sit outside, or little niche shops.

If there was a small area of grass and trees, you'd find people there, reading, talking, stopping for a drink and sandwich- and the shade. There was always music around...
  • Really sorry I couldn't be there. Highly recommend Party in the City, it was on Friday night. Free gigs, street theatre and poetry all over the city to open the music festival. Watching people dance to 40s boogie woogie, really want to learn how to jitterbug.

IG in Bath? Why didn't I know that?
  • edited May 2014
    IG's visit was a few years ago, before you joined Talkback, I think.

Saw some of the mobile street theatre going past the Pump Room Friday evening-I was inside listening to Lindsey Davis, then after that went for a tour of the Roman Baths and ended up listening to an easy listening trio- singer, guitarist and double bass, around the bath. :)
  • IG's visit was a few years ago, before you joined Talkback, I think.
    Ana was on Talkback way back at the same time I was too, Carol, but had a hiatus for a while and sadly, it was during that time that I was in the UK.
  • I'm lucky enough to have had IG ring my mobile...not as good as meeting, but pretty darned good!
  • Thanks, IG, that would explain it.

Just been looking through the photos I took. A few will need cropping,and I don't have as many as I hoped to get- too many people in the way, and a few museums where you couldn't take photos even without a flash...
  • Glad you had a good meet up, ladies - thanks for posting the pics, Liz.
  • edited May 2014
    Lovely photos especially the yellow teapot!
  • What caff is it? Chapel arts?
  • Yep!
  • First blog post done with photos from Friday...
  • Lovely happy photos of Liz and Carol - and Lola is bigger than I imagined - the Labrador part of her must be stronger than the poodle bit1
  • Lovely happy photos of Liz and Carol - and Lola is bigger than I imagined - the Labrador part of her must be stronger than the poodle bit1

Are you serious, Lizy? She is minuscule!

Here she is with my dearest friends (well, some of them) and a labrador... and a cocker spaniel. She can fit under the labrador!

She is only 14 inches high.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32986089/DSC05744 - Version 2.JPG
  • Lizy, I can assure you, Lola is smaller than she appears. It's her personality that's big. :)
  • I know this is a little late now, but I'd have been interested if I'd seen it sooner. I'm still new and unknown around this forum, but it would have been good to meet up with other writer-minded people as others with a similar interest are sadly lacking from my current social circles.

Oh, and I'm only a long walk away in Bristol.
  • Shame, we didn't know.
  • Are you in Bristol, Laevus? We live in a village just south, OH works in Bristol.
    I'm pretty sure ana is extremely local too, so we could meet up easily at some point.
  • Waiting for your poetry event, Liz. How's it going?
  • Yup, lived in South Bristol most of my life. Spent a few years living in Chilcompton but ended up moving back again. Heh, I make it sound like a long time, but I'm still in the early part of my 30s :p
  • ana, it's not till next year! 2015, doesn't even have a date yet, I am yet to make out the proposal, I'm in the middle of researching and trying to find out prices... it's an incredible amount of work.
  • I was born in Bristol, Laevus, but moved when i was 4 to Wales, then down south, Torquay, various other places, then ended up in dorset, then left to go to london, then moved back to Bristol as a young married person. Had children here. So my children were born in the same city i was but I took a roundabout route back!

We all love it here.
  • I lived in Bristol from 1970-1976 when I moved to London.
  • Grandad was from Bristol, moved around and settled here after the war. My dad was born in Bristol, mum from Bath, where they met. They've lived here for the last 35 years or so.

My other half moved up from Langley (amusingly, near Uxbridge, where the meet was yesterday!) to go to Bath Spa Uni. Now living with me in Bristol and loving the city.

I don't feel that tied to here apart aside from family nearby, but I have no idea where I'd move instead.
  • Did my MA at Bath Spa - it's only 20 mins from where I live. Serendipitous it happens to have the best creative writing course for young people in the country.