Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can I share this with you

edited May 2014 in Writing
Hope you don't mind me sharing this here; only other writers understand how it feels to get this sort of feedback. I haven't actually got anything I can submit - if only I was as prolific as TN or PB, but it's nice to be wanted.

e-mail from Walker Books

Peter Buckman passed me your details, I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. I read your submission Oy Yew back in 2011, when you were being represented by Ampersand. I really enjoyed it at the time but didn’t feel it was quite right for us, so I turned it down.

I have read and considered a fair number of submissions since then, but yours has stayed with me – the characters were lightly drawn and yet fully realised, and I so enjoyed the warmth of your writing. With so many authors writing either for the older age group (teen/YA) or for this age group but going down the slapstick humour route, it’s really quite rare to find such a lovely story with such a classic feel.

I wanted to make contact in case you had any other ideas or projects in the pipeline for this 8–12 age group. I realise that quite a bit of time has passed since you wrote Oy Yew, so your situation could have changed. However, if you’re still writing and still looking to be published, please do send along anything you have, or any ideas you’re working on. Obviously I can’t say at this point whether or not they’d be right for Walker, but I for one am a fan of your writing and would love to see anything you might have written.

Best wishes,
Emma

Emma Lidbury
Commissioning Editor
Walker Books Ltd

Comments

• WOW! Brilliant, I would actually get back to her with any ideas you have, even if nothing is written. Don't pass it up.

If she likes the idea she may commission it - she's seen your writing.

She may move on before it's finished, but, you will have another novel.

• (Funnily enough, at the poetry retreat other poets were discussing novels and books, and how the editor always moves on - they are always young and they are always called - EMMA!!!)

And i would also like to say, your style is unique, one of these days you will be picked up, and it doesn't matter that you take a bit longer, if you are good enough, and you are.

GET BACK TO HER!!!
  • Fantastic feedback. Editors just don't do this kind of thing unless they really mean it. Do not eat, sleep or even talk until you've written a new book and sent it in!!!

OK, do eat etc, but do get in touch and thank her and say yes you do have something but it's currently in the early stages. You'll be back in touch later with more information.
  • Oh, ana, that's brought a lump to my throat. What a wonderful, wonderful message to receive. You must feel absolutely validated. Well done!
  • How fantastic! And I'm with Liz & PM - tell her you're working on an idea and will be back in touch with more details later.
  • That is great - send something soon.
  • Wonderful Ana, good luck.
  • That is wonderful, ana - and so encouraging! Keep in contact; she likes your work, and wants to see it. Also you could ask her what she's looking for at the moment, and see if what you have in mind fits the brief. Good luck!
  • OMG - that's amazing! Yes, you definitely need to get back to her with some ideas or even short pieces? You must have something you're working on? I am thrilled for you.
  • You're all so kind. I told her that Oy Yew is a trilogy and I have to make books 2 and 3 a priority since a small publisher has been good enough to back me. She said she's delighted and thinks it would be interesting to work with me in the future. It's motivating to say the least. Where's me pens?
  • Excellent feedback! Well done!
  • That's brilliant. I loved the book and I can certainly appreciate why it stayed with them.
  • Doesn't that make you feel great? Wow... for your story to "live" with her enough to seek you out. Congratulations!
  • WOW!
  • That's amazing Ana, and she'll appreciate your loyalty to your present publisher, too.
    Don't lose her contact details, so if she moves on you can still find her.
  • Congratulations that is really good news. Get writing!
  • Sensational, Ana - echo what Lizy said.
  • amazing Ana this sort of thing just doesn't happen -get scribbling now!!!!
  • Oh, it does happen, datco - it happened to me, strangely enough, it was Walker again.

I sent them my first book, I got a letter back saying it wasn't quite right for them, and the editor said, 'but I have taken the liberty of telling a few other editors about you, try sending it to these publishers', and proceeded to give me a list of names.

It was my first book, I was a very new writer, by that I mean it was the VERY first thing i'd written, and i had no idea what a good response tat was. I didn't send it to the other publishers, at the time it was play for me, I decided to try something else...
  • Very exciting, Ana! I can only imagine what it must be like to get an email like that! Congratulations!

• Interesting, Liz. I've always thought 'not quite right for them' was a way of letting us down lightly, but clearly it's not. It's a shame the big guns can't just go with their hearts in the way that indies often do.

What was the 'something else' you did?
  • Its always a delight to read something like this, excellent news anna s.
    :-bd
  • Echoing all that has been shared, congratulations ana s.
  • Ana, that was exactly my thinking! A kind let-down!

I started going to a creative writing teacher (Crysse Morrison, who used to write for WM) and she told me I was a poet. I actually didn't want to be a poet (no money) but everything I wrote turned out as poetry.

Then I wrote a poem about my son (but not from my viewpoint) that was about all the things I found in his pockets. (That poem was my third poem to get published, and I changed it later into a short story and that was published as well.)

After Crysse a friend said she was going to Bath uni to try a new course, did i want to see if there was anything for me - and i found Mike Johnson, children's poet, advertising a course on how to write children's poetry. Again, I had no idea how unusual this was, I've never seen another one!

Serendipitously, I became a children's poet because he liked my stuff and sent it off with his.
  • The muse wasn't letting you escape, Liz. Hope you won't neglect the mainstream poetry. Some of the stuff you've posted on fb has been profoundly beautiful.
  • That's wonderful. Congratulations. :)
  • Thanks, ana. I don't have much confidence in writing for adults.
  • But Liz - so many adults - me included - read and love your poems that they aren't just for childrenanyway. You're writing for adults without even trying!
  • Awww, thank you Liz!