Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

When can someone call themselves a Writer?

edited May 2014 in Writing
Hi! I'm new to this forum and indeed new to writing full time, rather than leisurely.

I found it quite awkward and a little fearful, when I chose to tell my family that I wanted to become a writer.

It seemed that choosing to be a writer is considered the same as wanting to be a singer or actor or model. Something that can only be dreamed about by so many, yet achieved by few.

Writing is very personal to me and although I seek fair critique, it is sometimes difficult to hear, but will take it on board and use it positively.

My question is simply - When can someone call themselves a Writer?

Do they need to have something published first before rightfully owning this title? Or, is it someone who writes for whatever reason and is good at it? What's your opinion. I have never had anything published, but I do refer to myself openly as a writer...in progress.

Comments

• You're a writer when you write. You don't need to be succesful, or even any good to call yourself a writer - you just need to write.

• Patrick Ness - and a few others - follow the theory: you are a writer when you are writing. When you stop attempting to carve the words you want, the scene you envision, then you are no longer writing, and no longer a writer.

Welcome aboard... and....keeeeeeppp writing...

(oh dear... to early in the morning for that stuff)
  • (Quote) My question is simply - When can someone call themselves a Writer?

Does it actually matter? Alan Bennett, for example, didn't 'feel' like a writer for years after he was first published. This didn't stop him writing. So just write.

• I agree with Phots Moll's definition.

Welcome to the board lexas57. :)
  • welcome, lexas57 - I call myself a writer and I haven't yet got a book on the shelves or in e-space. Like they all said above - if you write, you're a writer.
  • Hi and welcome, Lexas57.
    Don't worry about definitions - just do it.
    I will add one thing from personal experience though: you will generally get a different answer to your question, depending on who you ask.
    Another writer - published or not - will tend to affirm that of course you are a writer. However, the claim 'I am a writer' to a non-writer tends to invite the question 'so what have you had published?' because Joe Public perceives a writer to be someone who publishes their work, whereas the rest of us know differently! ;)
  • Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. It's really appreciated and my confidence has risen. I've been writing all my life, some good and some awful, but I've always had the need to write and my partner most recently pointed out to me that for someone who doesn't talk much, when I write, I've got a lot to say. In fact, in a bizarre way, this is how I communicate my most troubling thoughts or when I want him to know just how much I love him. Because to verbalise it is very difficult for me. I just never know how to put it into spoken words - so I write it down in my journal and then read it out to him when I'm ready for him to hear it.

I don't feel so awkward now about calling myself a writer.

Thanks again all!

Blessings
  • Hi lexas and welcome.

It's difficult to say, isn't it?

I find it easier to say, 'I write' or more often, 'I do a bit of/enjoy writing' than 'I'm a writer' as it comes with so many expectations. I dread the questions that follow. I always think that to say the words 'I'm a writer' implies that it's your job, much in the same way as to say 'I'm an actor' implies that it's what you do for a living, but those who have already commented are right. If you write, then yes, you are a writer... it just takes confidence to say it!
  • Welcome to TB, Lexas. I think you're a writer when it's the thing that matters most to you - when writing is what you need to do, even if you haven't the opportunity to do it. If it burns inside you, you're a writer.
    There's a kind of alchemy that means you can type or write in flowing paragraphs, but you could never just sit and speak the same words.
    If you were a singer or musician, you would think in music; writing is like silent singing. Yet we're all hesitant about admitting it. It's not a dirty secret, or a vice - it's what we are born to be.
    TN, and anyone else who is shy of the thought, stand up and shout it: 'I'm a writer!'
  • I AM A WRiTER!

I agree with Mrs Bear's comments.
  • Mrs Bear always puts it so well.

I am a...

...WRITER!!!
  • Coo - that almost deafened me!
  • Hi, Lexas, I never say I am a writer. I just say my favourite hobby is creative writing. Ok, deep breath, I will shout this for the first and only time very quickly, 'IAMAWRITER!'
  • Wow - Kado is a WRITER!
  • It's like being in group therapy at AA. :-S

I imagine.
  • Is AA agony aunts?
  • Mrs Bear is quite right. In my current book 'the thing that burns inside you' is called your jenie, everyone has one and all children should be helped to find it. If your jenie is writing you're a writer.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Automobile Association, Agony Aunts... take your pick.
  • Angry Artists...
  • Absolutely Authorial, Authors Anonymous - whoever we are, well done, shouters!
    And in case I forgot to mention it, I AM A WRITER too!
  • Three cheers for the Bear!
  • writing is like silent singing.
    I like that idea Mrs Bear and, for once, my self-believing Capricorn tail is going to over-rule my self-doubting Capricorn head and sing out I AM A WRITER!

TN - how about WW (Writefully Writers) ?

;)
  • I like that TN.
  • A writer to me is someone who feels a compulsion to write whether they are published or not.
  • Wow! I've never had so much fun reading posts on a forum! lol

Well, you've all given me some options and maybe I just need to believe it in myself a little more. And do I really need others to know? Probably not, as I have you guys to shout it out all over the gaff! Love it!

Thanks again guys, its great to talk to like-minded people, who understand where I'm coming from.

It's 03:45, so I should head off to my bed now, even though I'll be awake at 06:30! Habitual Insomniac!
  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Automobile Association, Agony Aunts... take your pick.
    My name is Mark and I am an alco - er, sorry, a writer.

I usually refer to myself as an aspiring writer.

• Let's say it all together now... :D

I AM A WRITER!
  • edited May 2014
    I don't like the term 'aspiring writer' it suggests you're going to get yourself a pen and paper one day ... probably ... Yes, aspire to improve, or be published, or get on the bestseller list or win an award, but don't aspire to write. Just get on and do it.

I am a writer.
  • Wow! I've never had so much fun reading posts on a forum! lol
    That's why I love this forum - nothing so entertaining and refreshing as reading posts written by writers! =))
  • Hi Lexas. I'm a writer too (when I've had coffee) @-)
  • P.S. I'm also judge of the forum's One Word Challenge short story comp this month, so why not have a go? *plug mode off* :D
  • I sometimes call myself a writer but I take care that no-one is within earshot.
    When my story is broadcast on Black Country radio I shall call myself 'writer and broadcaster'. I might have cards printed. ;)
  • You should!
  • I sometimes call myself a writer but I take care that no-one is within earshot.
    When my story is broadcast on Black Country radio I shall call myself 'writer and broadcaster'. I might have cards printed. ;)
    I sometimes call myself a writer but I take care that no-one is within earshot.
    You could have it tattooed on yout tum for when the Lycra parts company!

• It might part company at the rear so maybe that would be a better location for a tattoo, or two.

Move aside, Trevor McDonald. There's a mollusc making trails.
  • I'm having bad thoughts on how sm could save letters on those tattoos...
  • I had a letter in the Worcester News last week, snidely political.

Perhaps 'writer, broadcaster and political commentator' might be appropriate.
  • Anything else, sm? TV chef? Hot-Shot Celeb?

*makes note to take autograph book if ever a meet-up is on the cards*

I wonder what Heather was thinking... 8-|
  • Who can tell what she was thinking!
  • Who can tell what she was thinking!
    Perhaps she'll tell us?
  • Can't. Rude.
  • Ah. It's to do with body bits making a letter - or two.

We'll have to use our imaginations. We should be good at that.
  • I don't got no imagination.
  • You might need to use a mirror then...
  • Rosy cheeks, TS?
  • Sorry Lexas - this was a lovely inspiring thread until I went off topic.
    I'll get me coat.
  • Wot was the topic? Oh yes,who can eat more JCs than BB.
  • The thermostat was set too high in here, Heather.