Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Private Messages on Talkback - Webbo?!!

edited May 2014 in Writing
I have received two messages today and each time I had to click on both 'Inbox' and 'Lizy' to clear the little red number.
When I did so I found I could read the PMs sent by that person to other people.

Surely this shouldn't be able to happen?

Comments

• Yes, I found that the other day, Lizy. Not exactly private, is it?
  • I was most circumspect and stopped reading - once I had twigged what I was actually looking at - I am rather slow on the uptake!

For a consideration I could tell you a thing or two, though.
  • I've just checked mine, but I can't see any others than those I've had PM's with, no one else's.

I flagged your post for Webbo.

• I said weeks ago I could read private messages - I did post Carol, as you suggested, no one took ant notice. That's why I don't leave any private comments in the O.W.C. or any where else.
  • Where can you see these things? In my Inbox all I can see are the conversations I've had with other people.
  • It's a bit weird. Some of the names I click on show some private messages, but others don't.
    Until it's sorted out you can always delete any 'sensitive' conversations just in case.
  • There's a difference between private messages/conversations and comments posted within 'activity'. The items in 'activity' are in the shared domain.
  • What I did was to click on my inbox, read the messages, and then clicked again on 'lizy' because the red number was still there.
    Then I clicked on the name of my correspondent and suddenly there were all kinds of messages that he/she had sent to other people.
  • Just checked mine and there are two non sensitive messages. It looks like I don't use the message system enough to get any of the others...
  • I've only used it when someone has contacted me with a comment on my OWC entry.
  • I haven't experienced this, Lizy.

I click on the red alert on my name and both 'reds' [one on name, one on inbox] disappear.
  • I'll try the name click first next time, Bill.
  • I can read Bill and Mrs Bear's PM when I click on his name. Amazing what they are saying.....
  • And if I click on Lizy ... Well......er......
  • And if I clutch on BB I can see her lovely photo and messages ...
  • Amend to read click.....oh dear...
  • edited June 2014
    Cripes!!! That is inexcusably bad.
    I can see private messages from people to others - as experienced by Lizy and Maro. As of this minute, I'm deleting all of my private messages to anyone I've ever contacted. However, unless everyone else does the same, your messages are open to view if people click on the right (or wrong) bits. Until this problem is properly fixed - and guaranteed to be secure - I would suggest the site administrators delete the PM option OR make TB users aware their messages are accessible.
  • If you go into your inbox, click on the message- you have to do them one at a time- then on the right hand side click delete message, another small box comes up on the middle of the page asking you to confirm the deletion, click yes and the message will be gone.
  • I only have about 7 conversations, so that's ok!
  • As BB said, there are two ways to send messages, one of which is private, and one of which is visible publicly:

1 The big, inviting, text box when you click on someone's name is for a public message that will appear on their profile page (like posting on somebody's wall in Facebook).
    2 in the left hand side of a user's profile page, below their image, is a link to: 'Send xxx a message', which is the option for private messaging that isn't visible to anyone else.

What you're describing here, Mrs B:
    What I did was to click on my inbox, read the messages, and then clicked again on 'lizy' because the red number was still there.
    Then I clicked on the name of my correspondent and suddenly there were all kinds of messages that he/she had sent to other people.
    is the path to a user's profile page, the same as if you had clicked on a name on a post, e.g. mine on this post, and the public "wall" messages are displayed on users' profile pages.
  • I think that's very confusing... and has clearly confused.
  • Certainly got ME bamboozled! But then these days it doesn't take much...
  • edited June 2014
    I agree, it's not that straightforward, but if you come at it cold, there's nothing to suggest that that big inviting text box is for private messages!
    You and I [Edit: Liz] actually went through it in January, as you can see from my wall!
  • Yes - but it didn't go in because if you press 'send PM' on any of the boxes above you expect it to be a 'PM' which stands for 'private message'.
  • edited June 2014
    The "Send PM" button does send a private message - equivalent to the second option I described above. I've just used it to send you a PM Liz, which you will be able to see, but which doesn't appear on your public profile page.
  • The "private" messaging appears on screen saying "Start a New conversation" with a separate box for the names of which user(s) you want to include. So you can have a private conversation with as many other users as you want.
  • Ah.. so what is described above is not people being able to see 'private' messages? How would you send a message that is not private, then?

*Still confused!!* I must be very stupid...
  • That's it! What has been visible are the non-private messages, which you post by clicking on somebody's name, then typing into the text box (which appears below the Activity tab on the right hand side).
    Although obviously there has been some confusion about what that box is for, so I'll have to see if I can signpost that more clearly.
  • So I was right all along...

*makes note in diary*
  • So I was right all along...

*makes note in diary*
    Law of averages.
  • *deflates*
  • I've just deleted all my conversations, just in case. Shame - there was some interesting and useful stuff there.
  • i did the same, but I have some bad news - they are still all there, you are just deemed to have 'left the conversation'.
  • Well, this is interesting! I didn't know we had 'walls' on our profile pages that were public! I have no idea whether I have sent genuine private messages to people or public, viewable messages. Will go back to my page to see if I can figure that out and delete where necessary...

Um - maybe everyone needs to be properly alerted to these crucial differences?
  • If you usually do it by clicking "Send PM" within a normal thread (which I think is probably the most common approach), those would be private.
    The other type, you can only get by visiting someone's profile page, then typing into that box.
  • Yes, I understand that now. Thanks, Webbo.

OK, I've looked at my Inbox on my profile page.
    If I click on a message it says 'in this conversation'. Am I right in thinking that only the people named as being 'in this conversation' can see it?
  • That's exactly right Claudia, yes.
  • *Still confused!!* I must be very stupid...
    That goes double for me. I have brain strain. Shall you and I link pinkie fingers, Liz, and go orff somewhere for a lovely spot of tea while the rest of them rhubarb-rhubarb amongst themselves?

• Lol! I have, with gentle prods in the face from Webbo, I THINK, sussed it.

But the good thing to know is that if you used the 'send PM' thing in the same line as the 'like' and 'quote' and 'flag' next to someone's name in any of the boxes on the threads, than what you are sending is private and although you can see it no-one else can.
  • What is confusing is if you click on someone's name on the left above, then you are taken to a page that looks private because it has nothing else on it except a box to write in to the person you have clicked on. But that conversation is not private, and anyone who clicks on that name will be taken to that page and be able to see that conversation. I think.

Perhaps if Webbo took pictures of what is a private place and way to message and what is NOT the private way and made it a sticky for new people?
  • Liz said: Perhaps if Webbo took pictures of what is a private place...

Before 9pm, Liz?

:\">
  • I'm up for it.

*strips*
  • I say. I say. *speechless*
  • Off! Off! Off! Off!
  • Oh. My. Word!!
    I have been away for two days and come back to this!

I have never - that I recall - instigated a private message to anyone, but a few times I've answered one. I have assumed up to now that a PM is like those on Facebook - Private - and there fore not accessible to anyone except the Powers That Be or to a hacker.

As this is clearly not the case I shall refrain from saying anything sensitive until it's sorted out. Except that "clearly" is not the most apt word in this case. Assuming that all of us can follow the intricacies is wrong.
    I do not have my ten-year-old grandson on speed-dail!
  • Yes, I understand that now. Thanks, Webbo.

OK, I've looked at my Inbox on my profile page.
    If I click on a message it says 'in this conversation'. Am I right in thinking that only the people named as being 'in this conversation' can see it?
    That's exactly right Claudia, yes.
    There you are! All you have to do is check if the message says 'in this conversation' followed by the names of who is 'in the conversation' - if it does, then you know it's private. Simples...
  • Oh, so I could have kept all my conversations for posterity.

:((
  • Which info do you want? i may still have stuff and the other people in your conversations - because they don't go from both pages, only yours.
  • Thanks, but don't worry, Liz.
    I'm very sentimental about 'things'. I still have a crisp packet from primary school and my Smartie lid collection.
    I will have dealt with any information as it arose.